Apple Pay sparks inter-bank battle to be consumers' default choice

Comments

• Reply 121 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

I'd like a debit card type option for aPay. These are popular in the UK / Canada. Not sure about the US. Basically upon swiping the money is transferred directly from the bank to the merchant. It makes managing cash on a daily basis much simpler.

added: It would for instance be great if kids / teenagers / young adults could check their bank balance and if funds were available use their iPhone to make purchases. Credit cards are not great for the above demographic.

The BIG problem (at least in the USA) with debit cards vs CC is the "liability" for fraudulent transactions. With CC the max liability is $50 with the CC on the hook for any disputes. Not so with Debit cards where it is up to the user to prove fraud and then hope to get their money back many days to weeks later.

If someone were to clean out your checking or savings account without you knowing for a few days or weeks and checks start bouncing....good luck getting all your money back along with any "bank charges" refunded in a timely fashion.

This is just one of the nightmare scenarios and the main reason I almost NEVER use a debit card. In fact, I wish Banks would stop shoving them down our throats.

• Reply 122 of 165
    I don't know what dreamland you're living in, but I tap to pay with my Discover card. It's worked for a year (when I first bothered to try).

And this saves banks and multinationals money while making more money for merchants because of the lower fees, token-based system, and secure element Apple design and put into place? Of course not, but you either know that and are trolling or not capable of knowing for some reason that I can't begin to fathom.
    Explain to me why an email from a multinational bank will make it better?

At least try not to say stupid shit. :no:
  • Reply 123 of 165
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

And this saves banks and multinationals money while making more money for merchants because of the lower fees, token-based system, and secure element Apple design and put into place? Of course not, but you either know that and are trolling or not capable of knowing for some reason that I can't begin to fathom.

At least try not to say stupid shit. image

Where does the money come from? Lower fees for consumers, less spending for banks, and more money for merchants! Apple just creates money from thin air.

• Reply 124 of 165
    Apple just creates money from thin air.</span>

In a manner of speaking, yes. The money isn't from air, but it does involve an element.
  • Reply 125 of 165
    Quote:

In a manner of speaking, yes. The money isn't from air, but it does involve an element.

The moral of the story is that (as I've said already), Google Wallet works fine with NFC and your favorite credit card. Apple is going to make it better and make it available to millions more consumers. Good.

• Reply 126 of 165
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I'm wondering how it will work when using ?Pay with the ?Watch.

There's no TouchID on the ?Watch, and Apple didn't get into any details about how exactly one would pay using their ?Watch.

The Apple Watch will most likely be paired with the Touch ID/iPhone, and basically act as an extension of the iPhone, so that when you swipe your Apple Watch using Apple Pay, the Apple Watch transmits/receives the data to/from the TouchID/iPhone.

• Reply 127 of 165
    Quote:

Originally Posted by InteliusQ View Post

The Apple Watch will most likely be paired with the Touch ID/iPhone, and basically act as an extension of the iPhone, so that when you swipe your Apple Watch using Apple Pay, the Apple Watch transmits/receives the data to/from the TouchID/iPhone.

piling on... when you put your watch on, it monitors your heart rate and skin contact constantly... if there is no interruption since you last paired to your TouchID enabled phone, your biometrics is 'your fingerprint' to allow a 'touch less' transaction.  

• Reply 128 of 165
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    fallenjt wrote: »
    Fandroids are delusional, denial and defensive. They don't realize that Apple Pay will make Google Wallet look like a welfare case seriously. I didn't see banks implementing Google Wallet, but I was at Wells and Chase yesterday and their ATM announced the Apple Pay to be implemented in October. Yup.
    Fandroids age old argument "Apple hasn't innovated in years". The freaking painfully obvious irony !!
    And good to hear about those banks!!
    Free marketing for Apple once again!!!
    fallenjt wrote: »
    Are you serious, man? What kind of record does Touch ID need to read from your wrist, a film of finger print sticking in there? Touch ID is to record the biometric specific to a person which is finger print, not your skin, unless it has DNA identification. Touch ID may be built under the screen, but I don't think at this point the technology allows it yet.

You're thinking too small.
    If you look at the terminals you're using for chip payments <snip> Those terminals are already compatible with Apple Pay.

YES.
    You snipped out "/Ballmer" from the end of his post.

The guy was obviously making a joke. I got it. You missed it. I'm having to explain it to you. Who needs the clue? :lol:

That dude misreads all my posts. He gets defensive too quick.
    knowitall wrote: »
    Your joking of course.
    It will be more difficult for Apple to get the European market.
    In Europe most cash payments (including small payments) are already replaced by bank cards (not credit cards) with chip security.
    It will be difficult to replace the payment terminals in every store and the providers that deliver the systems and get a few cents for every transaction.
    Difficult but not impossible.

?Pay is more than that though. I hear this argument a lot but ?Pay is an even more secure way to pay than using a credit card, it's not even the same thing. So NFC terminals available or not, I see people adopting it for the additional benefits, more security(Touch ID), simplicity and faster checkout. :)
  • Reply 129 of 165
    The moral of the story is that (as I've said already), Google Wallet works fine with NFC and your favorite credit card.
    Nope.
    Apple is going to make it better and make it available to millions more consumers. Good.

Yep, except better is like saying Monster caBles are technicially better quality with a slightly lower impedance than many cheap cables even the result has no ill effects. What Apple did is paradigm shifting.
  • Reply 130 of 165
    inteliusq wrote: »

Cook seemed pretty clear about it being independent. I assume you need an iPhone to add the cards but after that it should all be stored on the ?Watch's Secure Element.
  • Reply 131 of 165
    Quote:

Nope.

Yep, except better is like saying Monster caBles are technicially better quality with a slightly lower impedance than many cheap cables even the result has no ill effects. What Apple did is paradigm shifting.

The irony of the Monster Cable reference after the Beats acquisition. It hurts.

Paradigm shift? Whatever. You're still going to put socks on the counter, then touch your phone to the reader. Your chosen credit card will be charged.

• Reply 132 of 165
    Your chosen credit card will be charged.

Is this you finally admitting ?Pay uses a representational CC number? Maybe there is hope for you after all.
  • Reply 133 of 165
    solipsismx wrote: »
    With the point being neither to defend nor criticize Google's payment, even 10% of Android phones is a substantially larger number of devices than iPhone 6 will represent in the first year or two, so it this point and for a while yet Android will actually have MORE payment-capable phones in the wild than Apple.

Not that it will matter.

A year or two? I would be surprised if the installed based tips in Apple's favour within 6 months, as well as more people using ?Pay over Android's NFC within a month.

How many Android-based devices are there being used now that have both NFC -and- KitKat?

Mmm ... ApplePay released October 2014.

Mmm ... Apple expected to sell 40 million iPhone 6 devices, in 2014.

Some large amount (millions?) of ApplePay-capable iPhone 6s will be in US customers hands by November 28 -- Black Friday.

I think it's going to be an ApplePay Christmas in the US.
  • Reply 134 of 165
    I wonder if this will lead to cards offering incentives to switch to their card as your Apple Pay default, the way carriers and cable companies offer incentives to get you to switch to their service.

Yes!

But I just posted because I like your name: @dorkus maximus
  • Reply 135 of 165
    lantzn wrote: »
    IMO, the most significant [Apple] announcements in 2014 (so far):
    1. ApplePay
    2. New Openness of Apple and Developer SDKs
    3. AppleWatch
    4. iPhone 6
    5. IBM Apple deal
    6. Swift / Xcode 6

You could argue between 3 and 4 -- the iP6 is the lubrication ($ and scale) that make it all work -- but, I believe that iWatch will have a greater impact over the long term -- making it ridiculousy easy to buy things with ApplePay.

And, we ain't seen nothin' yet!

Throw Metal into that list. Portable gaming is about to go to a whole new level.

Oops ... Forgot Metal and all that that signifies ...
  • Reply 136 of 165
    Mmm ... ApplePay released October 2014

What?! Why won't ?Pay work immediately with the new iPhones this Friday?
  • Reply 137 of 165
    Mmm ... ApplePay released October 2014

What?! Why won't ?Pay work immediately with the new iPhones this Friday?

No ... See the Apple site or the keynote!
  • Reply 138 of 165

Timestamp? That's some weak sauce from Apple if this feature is still a month out.
  • Reply 139 of 165

Timestamp? That's some weak sauce from Apple if this feature is still a month out.

Realistically, the iP6s will first arrive on the 19th.

It will take at least an hour to activate the phones.

Then, each iP6 will need to be updated from the IOS 8.0 GM that is on the shipping iP6s.

That's at least a 1+ hour download (from overwhelmed web sites).

Then the actual install -- and possible re-activation ... Another hour ...

Then, updates to apps for iP6 ...

I suspect that much of the above will [need to] be repeated when ApplePay is released ...

Then, everyone overloads iTunes to authorize the already stored CCs for ApplePay with the issuing Bank ...

Then, adding new ccs to ApplePay ...

I suspect, that sometime in mid-October you'll be. Able to drag yourself out for some ApplePay shopping ...
  • Reply 140 of 165
    Oh, The grand old Duke of York,
    He had ten thousand men;
    He marched them up to the top of the hill,
    And he marched them down again.

And when they were up, they were up,
    And when they were down, they were down,
    And when they were only half-way up
    [S]They were neither up nor down.[/S]
    They were all fucked up!