Apple's new Watch, Apple Pay and iPhone 6 met with nervous mocking by competitors

Comments

• Reply 21 of 99
    gtr wrote: »
    Possibly via Digitimes:

Apple, in order to better compete against Android and other companies, will be increasing the release frequency of their iPhone models.

The iPhone 7 will be due in October, the iPhone 8 in November, and iPhone 9 will be skipped altogether in order to allow iPhone 10 to ship before the end of this year.

As a result of this, warranty and support periods have been shortened accordingly to a standard work week. However, AppleCare and AppleCare Plus can be purchased to extend this period by twenty-four and forty-eight hours respectively.

The iPhone 10 will come in three set colour and size combinations:

iPhone 10 Minus - Oriental Gold - 3 Inch Screen
    iPhone 10 - Classic White - 5 Inch Screen
    iPhone 10 Plus - African American Black - 7 Inch Screen

All phones will come with Super Ultra Mega Retina HD x2 - an 8K high resolution display on both front and rear of phone that will allow your eyes to be unable to view even more pixels.

New A9 chip - Built on 128 Bit Ancient Roman Architecture (for classic Italian style).

M9 Motion Co-processor - Designed to work seamlessly with the included "iDrunk2Much" application. When it detects swaying and staggering, it automatically calls you a cab and reminds you to vomit right at the end of the trip.

Diamond Coated Exterior - Now you can unlock your car. By smashing the window with it.

8 Megapixel ACME Telescopic Camera - So powerful that, when you turn and look behind, you'll just be able to see the competition's phones on the horizon.

Alternatively, an optional macro lens can be fitted allowing the phone to be used to see anything as small as a Samsung Mobile profit margin.

TouchID 2.0 (also known as TouchedUp) includes five separate TouchID scanners that allow you to scan each and every finger of your hand, at the same time, for increased security.

FFC (Far Field Communication) Payment System allows you to make payments. From further away.

VoUSB (Voice Over Universal Serial Bus)

VoMSD (Voice Over MicroSD)

Handoff - Great for when you're eating sticky BBQ in a Samsung commercial and need to answer an incoming call. When activated, it allows the phone to float in mid-air for for 'zero-handed operation'.

Slot-loading Blu-Ray/MiniDiscPlayer.

Batteries in the Cloud

Included Stylus AND Paintbrush.

Comes with iOSX 10: The world's most combined operating system.

With true multitasking that allows your phone to intermittently fire up and download the latest malware updates in the background so you'll never find yourself in the embarrassing position of being 'not infected'.

Additional unnecessary features can added using BozoKit Development API's.

Shut up and take my money!
  • Reply 22 of 99

First they laugh, then they mock.

And when desperation set in, they soil their pants.

Though Apple pay and the watches have set a record on the speed it happened this time.

My favorite is still  Michael "shutdown and give back the money to shareholders" Dell.

• Reply 23 of 99

Originally Posted by rf9 View Post

The real test will be in China where apparently they prefer alphabets more than say American markets.  Rumor has it that Apple diverted a lot of 6 plus products to China for this reason, though right now they're caught up in regulatory red tape.  Will they prefer 6 Plus over Sammy's Note?  Split the market?  Or will they all got to a cheaper competitor like Xaiomi (sp?  I always spell it wrong.)

We may never really know.

There are quite a few millionaires in China.  As in millions of US dollars, and I'm sure they'd rather be seen with Apple products.  And although quite a few of them are fleeing China, I'd bet that enough will remain to keep Apple quite happy and profitable in China.  Then, gradually, as the iPhone 6 and 6+ become 1-year old and 2-year old phones, their price will drop a little and be more accessible to the rapidly growing Chinese middle class.

Just search for "chinese millionaires" and you'll see quite a few stories about rich Chinese moving out of the country.  Makes no difference to Apple.  They'll buy iPhone 6 Plus-es wherever they move to.

• Reply 24 of 99
    ireland wrote: »
    Truest article title DED has ever written. Didn't justify the length of the piece though.

ask for a refund? me, I just read the article and skimmed bits I wasn't interested in.
  • Reply 25 of 99
    They laughed at Bob Hope too. Not sure why though.
  • Reply 26 of 99
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    "Nervous mocking" sounds like a loaded pro-Apple slant on these companies' materials. But it's actually clearly dead on.

(I also can't help noting what a bunch of face-touchers those Apple Watch users are.)
  • Reply 27 of 99
    I notice that all the people in the ?Watch photos have bare arms and look pretty sporty. Apple are selling this as a fitness/health device.

If you wear shirts, you don't want to wear a thick watch, as they catch all the time on your cuffs.
  • Reply 28 of 99
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

If PayPay actually believed that Apple's payment system was insecure... 

Um, who? Never heard of them.

• Reply 29 of 99
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Apple Pay: make hay.

Apple Watch: Newton botch.

I didn't botch nothing.

• Reply 30 of 99
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

"Nervous mocking" sounds like a loaded pro-Apple slant on these companies' materials. But it's actually clearly dead on.

(I also can't help noting what a bunch of face-touchers those Apple Watch users are.)

If you were pretty as them, you'd want to touch yourself too ;-).

• Reply 31 of 99
    lukefrench wrote: »
    First they laugh, then they mock.
    And when desperation set in, they soil their pants.

Though Apple pay and the watches have set a record on the speed it happened this time.

My favorite is still  Michael "shutdown and give back the money to shareholders" Dell.

I'm sure Michael Dell regrets those words... considering he DID give their money back to their shareholders.

But at least Dell didn't have to shut down... they'll still be around to deliver great products :D
  • Reply 32 of 99

I think you might be surprised by how well the AppleWatch ends up doing. Sure it's not for everyone and it is definetly going to be marketed as a fitness focused device but that's going to be a decent market size to target. I would expect it to be comparable to the AppleTV in terms of success initially if not more so depending on what additional features are included that haven't yet been talked about by Apple. Everyone I know with an AppleTV is seriously considering the purchase of an AppleWatch and I also know a few people without an AppleTV that will be buying the watch. I know that's not exactly in depth market research but I still think this will be a big hit for Apple and won't be simply a "hobby" as the AppleTV originally was.
  • Reply 33 of 99
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I didn't botch nothing.

Yes you did. But it happened very Suddenly

• Reply 34 of 99
    DED should next turn his editorial attention to the nervous mocking by forum trolls.
  • Reply 35 of 99
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    sockrolid wrote: »
    In a year, there could be many international banks rolling out support for Apple Pay.  <span style="line-height:1.4em;">And it will be pretty tough for anybody else to 1. develop a Secure Element competitor, </span>
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">2. develop (or buy) technology as good as Touch ID, 3. combine all of that software and </span>
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">hardware technology into a mobile device, then 4. convince merchants (brick and mortar and online) and banks to use their frankensteined Apple Pay clone.</span>

Actually, I don't expect #4 to be a problem. The beauty of Apple Pay is that it works with any NFC POS device. Presumably any Apple Pay clone would do the same, and I'm fine with that. The more platforms there are out there trying to force vendors to modernize, the better off we are as consumers (and the better off Apple is when NFC payments become universal).
  • Reply 36 of 99
    iaeen wrote: »
    Actually, I don't expect #4 to be a problem. The beauty of Apple Pay is that it works with any NFC POS device. Presumably any Apple Pay clone would do the same, and I'm fine with that. The more platforms there are out there trying to force vendors to modernize, the better off we are as consumers (and the better off Apple is when NFC payments become universal).

I think there's a big difference between having NFC capable devices and terminals vs implementing a system comparable to ApplePay. Here in Australia we already have NFC terminals at most merchants so Apple won't need to do much to roll out here. Having a system that works across multiple devices/vendors is definetly the way to go and I agree that other manufacturers will see an increase in NFC usage as a result of ApplePay being rolled out.

Trying to convince Banks to adopt other solutions in the same way they have embraced ApplePay will be a lot tougher sell however. Those products will be able to piggy back on the success of ApplePay however I don't see them getting the same promotion or discounted fees in the way Apple has.
  • Reply 37 of 99
    I agree when Apple makes a new move it makes everyone little nervous because of its brand which people have more trust. But this article is true in many ways but still baised towards Apple. Was Google afraid of apple maps? Lol... even CEO Cook came out and said they screwed up and suggested everyone to download google map. No doubt samsung started big size phones and Apple fans were mocking at size saying how one can not use one it handed. Even Apple was adamant about its small size and now came up with not one but two big size phones? What happened to its one hand logic which Apple was crying about? If anything becomes popular companies try to follow that only difference is that it's called as innovation if apple does it but called as copy if other companies do. ..
  • Reply 38 of 99

I didn't botch nothing.

I wasn't referring to you!

I was calling to mind the Apple Newton that DED referenced and which Jobs put out of its misery with his second coming.

But I think you knew that, and were pulling my leg.

Perhaps when Cook resigns and hands the reigns over to Ballmer, he will do the decent thing with the ?Watch.

Only kidding! Ballmer-Jobs Mark 2; I'm sure TS has a suitable gif for that.
  • Reply 39 of 99
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lolliver View Post

Trying to convince Banks to adopt other solutions in the same way they have embraced ApplePay will be a lot tougher sell however. Those products will be able to piggy back on the success of ApplePay however I don't see them getting the same promotion or discounted fees in the way Apple has.

I bet Samsung comes up with a new-and-improved NFC payment system (perhaps trying to jumpstart Google's weak effort) and make it the centerpiece of the Galaxy 15 (or whatever iteration they are on by next summer). It won't be as secure because the finger ID thing is hard to duplicate and the hardware solution Apple is using is unique, but they won't care. They will sell it as "better than Apple" and people who are still with Samsung will use it, probably not realizing that they are giving up all of their purchase history to Samsung and Google.

• Reply 40 of 99
    iPhone 6 and Plus, Apple Pay, Apple Watch. It's like a chess match. Each technology or product Apple comes out with, builds on what Apple has earlier introduced. Notice too the misdirection. Everybody thought the new watch will just be an iPod Nano type of product. All the while, back in the lab, they were hatching something totally different. iBeacon was going to support a type of payment technology. Apple let the wags alone with their ideas. Then let the NFC cat out the bag with a big splash. The terminals were already there, so why not crash the party and bring the big cake by offering the best security for it. So now the small companies are worried. What's going to happen to Fitbit, Meta, Pebble, Square, etc.? Will the sale signs soon come up? What's going to happen to the bigger companies - Moto, Garmin, Shamsung, Paypal? Well, they have the template. Time to do some serious copying again....