Cook says Apple working on products that 'haven't been rumored about yet' [u]

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 138

Macbooks, apple TV, iOS, app store, A8.... hmm a good basis for a game console :)

• Reply 122 of 138
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Blah blah blah.
    Put up or shut up. This tacky watch and Beats is his legacy so far- not impressed.
  • Reply 123 of 138
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    welshdog wrote: »
    I have also noticed that Woz has not weighed in on anything post keynote - the silence is refreshing.

He's appalled?
  • Reply 124 of 138
    Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Blah blah blah.

Put up or shut up. This tacky watch and Beats is his legacy so far- not impressed.

2/10, try harder.

• Reply 125 of 138
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

I don't think the purpose of Continuity was to shrink the iPhone. The overall goal was to add more stickiness to the entire platform and encourage iPhone buyers to buy Macs and iPads.

It's amazing how the little things make such a big difference. Like Messages on OS X. My phone is always with me, so why would I need to duplicate messaging on the desktop? To save my marriage and my job, that's why:

Working away at my Mac at work, when I hear:

<iPhone Alert Tone>

I stand up, pull the phone out of my pocket, press the power button, enter my passcode and see a message from my wife:

"Taking something out of the freezer for dinner. Want anything in particular?"

I slowly fight with the tiny little on-screen keys to produce "no thnaks, whatvr yuo decide is fine" and hit send.

I then press the power button, put the phone back in my pocket ('cause if I don't I'll walk away and forget it for sure), and sit down. I'm just getting back to work when:

<iPhone Alert Tone>

I stand up, pull the phone out of my pocket, press the power button, slide to open and read:

"Got some chicken breasts. BBQ?"

Hit Reply. "Sounds good. Thnaks!" Send.

I press the power button, put the phone back in my pocket, and sit down. I start trying to remember what I was doing when:

<iPhone Alert Tone>

I stand up, pull the phone out of my pocket, press the power button, slide to open and read:

"Peas or carrots?"

Beginning to get frustrated, I hit reply and fumble to type "Honey i love you but Im trying to work"

Hit send. Press the power button, put the phone back in my pocket, and sit down. This time I don't even refocus my attention to what I was doing when:

<iPhone Alert Tone>

I leap to my feet, tear my pants pulling the phone out of my pocket, press the power button, slide to open and read:

"K sorry"

The last message SHOULD have been expected, because no matter how many times you tell people that Read Receipts eliminate the need for a "10-4" they do it anyway.

Now, thanks to Messages for OS X, all that takes place in a little pop-up window in the corner of the screen at which I'm already looking anyway, and I can comfortably type my replies on a real keyboard. No frustration, no torn pants, and I get more work done.

"Messages for OS X saved me from divorce and unemployment! Thanks, Apple!"

• Reply 126 of 138
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorin Schultz View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

I don't think the purpose of Continuity was to shrink the iPhone. The overall goal was to add more stickiness to the entire platform and encourage iPhone buyers to buy Macs and iPads.

It's amazing how the little things make such a big difference. Like Messages on OS X. My phone is always with me, so why would I need to duplicate messaging on the desktop? To save my marriage and my job, that's why:

Working away at my Mac at work, when I hear:

<iPhone Alert Tone>

I stand up, pull the phone out of my pocket, press the power button, enter my passcode and see a message from my wife:

"Taking something out of the freezer for dinner. Want anything in particular?"

I slowly fight with the tiny little on-screen keys to produce "no thnaks, whatvr yuo decide is fine" and hit send.

I then press the power button, put the phone back in my pocket ('cause if I don't I'll walk away and forget it for sure), and sit down. I'm just getting back to work when:

<iPhone Alert Tone>

"Got some chicken breasts. BBQ?"

Hit Reply. "Sounds good. Thnaks!" Send.

I press the power button, put the phone back in my pocket, and sit down. I start trying to remember what I was doing when:

<iPhone Alert Tone>

"Peas or carrots?"

Beginning to get frustrated, I hit reply and fumble to type "Honey i love you but Im trying to work"

Hit send. Press the power button, put the phone back in my pocket, and sit down. This time I don't even refocus my attention to what I was doing when:

<iPhone Alert Tone>

I leap to my feet, tear my pants pulling the phone out of my pocket, press the power button, slide to open and read:

"K sorry"

The last message SHOULD have been expected, because no matter how many times you tell people that Read Receipts eliminate the need for a "10-4" they do it anyway.

Now, thanks to Messages for OS X, all that takes place in a little pop-up window in the corner of the screen at which I'm already looking anyway, and I can comfortably type my replies on a real keyboard. No frustration, no torn pants, and I get more work done.

"Messages for OS X saved me from divorce and unemployment! Thanks, Apple!"

I just hope she didn't burn your dinner after all that.

• Reply 127 of 138
    I just hope she didn't burn your dinner after all that.

Gives a whole new meaning to "Toad in the Hole" doesn't it? :smokey:
  • Reply 128 of 138
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member

Requiem for the iPod.

It is cruel to witness how Apple is killing its iPods one by one ...

2014 iPod Classic >> iPhone 6

Early 2015 iPod Nano >> ? watch

Early 2015 iPod Shuffle >> ? watch

Fall 2015 iPod Touch >> iPhone mini?

2016 The end of the iPod era. Shame, as its click wheel is still a relevant design concept.

• Reply 129 of 138
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mr O View Post

Requiem for the iPod.

Early 2015 Pod Nano >> ? watch

2016 The end of the iPod era. Shame, as its click wheel is still a relevant design concept.

I'd still like to see a version of the iPod as a watch, minus the other functions. Please make it happen, Apple. There is still a big market for iPods for  athletes and exercise.

• Reply 130 of 138
    Quote:

Requiem for the iPod.

I foresee the same.

Next year I think we'll see an iPhone Mini likely in various colors to serve as the new entry level iPhone and with that announcement there will really be no room left for iPods in the lineup, well other than the $50 Shuffle. Maybe Apple will keep the Shuffle as an accessory and maybe add bluetooth to it?

Or maybe an iPod Shuffle type device could be a "Beats" branded music accessory once Apple moves forward with the ?watch?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I'd still like to see a version of the iPod as a watch, minus the other functions. Please make it happen, Apple. There is still a big market for iPods for  athletes and exercise.

Interesting idea, and it's something I've thought as well, but I would assume a simplified ?watch will be placed under the ?watch brand. Maybe an entirely new collection of lighter weight even smaller thinner watches that are solely for music? 

• Reply 131 of 138
    cali wrote: »
    And self driving to boot! ;)
    Man Tim Cook has been growing on me lately. That last line in the 2nd video is genius. Steve knew who to pick for the job.
    I heard Apple is like 3x bigger than when Steve died. Let's face it people, Steve was the better visionary but Cook is the better CEO. It's like he should have been CEO the whole time.

Although I have my disapointments about lack of a 4" 6c, mediocre iphone 6 commercials and AppleWatch not being forward thinking enough, Tuesday's Apple conference was breathtaking. The intro video gave me
    goosebumps. The AppleWatch introduction video nearly brought me to tears and the final official name revealing gave me a fuzzy feeling in my heart, like finally finding a lost child.
    Even the credit card and ApplePay videos
    with the lady shopping felt like a high production. Too bad the iPhone 6 commercials looked weak in comparison to the rest of the videos, almost Android-like.

Apple is still magical and I can't wait to hear Dr. Dre's music in commercials. (the Apple
    watch introduction sounded eerily Dre-like)

Apple is only going to get bigger next year. Anyone who fails to see that is either delusional or in denial. Cook has built a dream team and Apple is just getting started.
    IPhone 6C? Who will buy? Maybe just 1 out of 100. 5S is pretty much the same as 6C if Apple rebadge it. I don't get your point
  • Reply 132 of 138
    Quote:

I dunno, are the people who are shopping for a simple music player gonna shell out $350 for a watch instead?

I guess the better question is whether there are enough people shopping for simple music players who WON'T pay $350 for a watch instead to justify continuing production of the iPods? It wouldn't be the first time Apple walked away from a product that they deem not worth their time and effort.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr O View Post

Ingenius, yes, but since replaced by a much better system. My wife has a Classic because she wants to carry her complete library and it wouldn't fit on the alternatives of the time. When I use the click wheel now I am reminded just how far we've come. So, while I respect the click wheel and am glad we had it, I'm not mourning its passing.

• Reply 133 of 138
    Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

5S is pretty much the same as 6C...

No, not at all.

• Reply 134 of 138

Who is Tim Cook ?

• Reply 135 of 138
    Quote:

Requiem for the iPod.

iPod Nano

8 Gig

Mine still works - iTunes, Photos, FM tuner, touch screen, and it runs about 3 days on one charge.  The same charger I use for my iPhone 4S.  The is no iWatch - it is slimmer!  I can't recall exactly when I bought it, but is seems like around 2010.  Can't find any info on it.

• Reply 136 of 138

double post

• Reply 137 of 138
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac-Cat View Post

iPod Nano

8 Gig

Mine still works - iTunes, Photos, FM tuner, touch screen, and it runs about 3 days on one charge.  The same charger I use for my iPhone 4S.  The is no iWatch - it is slimmer!  I can't recall exactly when I bought it, but is seems like around 2010.  Can't find any info on it.

That was a great Kickstarter project!

I never really understood why Apple killed off that project by releasing a stretched iPod nano.