VHS to DVD to edit in iMovie 9.0.9

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2014

I have an old Panasonic DMR-EZ28K DVD Recorder that works really well for me  and I have been converting old VHS tapes home movies to DVDs.  

After I take the DVD out of the recorder, then I placed it in my Mac and then launch iMovie version 9.0.9 and  I cannot imported from the desktop.

I want to be able to edit it and put them in the new digital format how do I do that?

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6

Hmm. If it’s just a regular DVD, HandBrake should be able to rip it.

• Reply 2 of 6

How hard is it to use?

• Reply 3 of 6

Ah... depends. You’ll probably be fine with using the presets.

• Reply 4 of 6
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    dmfett wrote: »
     I have an old Panasonic DMR-EZ28K DVD Recorder that works really well for me  and I have been converting old VHS tapes home movies to DVDs.  

After I take the DVD out of the recorder, then I placed it in my Mac and then launch iMovie version 9.0.9 and  I cannot imported from the desktop.

I want to be able to edit it and put them in the new digital format how do I do that?

If they are VRO format from DVD-RAM discs, they might not show up or encode properly with ffmpeg encoders like Handbrake. If they don't, you can try MPEG Streamclip:

http://www.squared5.com/svideo/mpeg-streamclip-mac.html

That will open the video and allow you to export it. If the audio is separate, it will do a better job of joining the two together for export. I'm not sure what the best export format would be for iMovie. ProRes is best for editing but can be quite large and I don't think iMovie plays well with it. H.264 is ok as long as you make the bitrate high enough.
  • Reply 5 of 6

Thanks for your input, I'll download it and try that within the next week as my time allows me. Sounds a little bit complex from you all said….hoping that I'll be able to do that. I 'm wondering is there a hardware product out there that would allow me to play the VHS and then take it and put it into the computer by way of a hardware device?

• Reply 6 of 6
    Originally Posted by dmfett View Post

...play the VHS and then take it and put it into the computer by way of a hardware device?

What, straight from a VCR? Sure thing. Elgato makes a product like that. I own one myself; works great.