Full Tim Cook interview with Charlie Rose available to stream online

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2014
After the second segment of a two-part Charlie Rose interview with Apple CEO Tim Cook aired on Monday, full versions of both are now available for streaming online.

The two-part broadcast, filmed last week after Apple's iPhone 6 lineup reveal, is now up on the official Charlie Rose website, as well as the PBS host's Hulu channel. Both segments are free to stream.

Over the course of nearly two hours, Cook discusses new products like the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, Apple's business model as compared to competitors like Google and workplace diversity, among many other topics.

In the first session, posted last Friday, Cook reveals that Apple is working on products that "haven't been rumored about yet" and fields questions regarding the large-screened iPhone 6 lineup. The Apple chief says a larger iPhone could have been made years ago, but the company wanted to make a "better phone in every single way."

Cook reiterates his company's interest in television, saying he would like to see some changes in regard to user experience, changes that foreshadow an Apple TV refresh expected in the coming months. Also mentioned during the first segment was company cofounder Steve Jobs and Apple's recent $3 billion acquisition of Beats.

The final part of Cook's interview covers consumer privacy as it applies to Apple's business model. The CEO is quoted as saying, "Our business is not based on having information about you. You're not our product."

Diversity in the workplace is also discussed. Cook says, "That everyone deserves a basic level of human rights, regardless of their color, regardless of their religion, regardless of their sexual orientation, regardless of their gender. That everyone deserves respect. And, you know, I'll fight for it until my toes point out."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    After the second segment of a two-part Charlie Rose interview with Apple CEO Tim Cook aired on Monday, full versions of both are now available for streaming online.

In the first session, posted <a href="http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/09/12/cook-says-apple-working-on-products-that-havent-been-rumored-about-yet">last Friday</a>, Cook reveals that Apple is working on products that "haven't been rumored about yet" and fields questions regarding the large-screened iPhone 6 lineup. The Apple chief says a larger iPhone could have been made years ago, but the company wanted to make a "better phone in every single way."

Cook reiterates his company's interest in television, saying he would like to see some changes in regard to user experience, changes that foreshadow an Apple TV refresh expected in the coming months. Also mentioned during the first segment was company cofounder Steve Jobs and Apple's recent <a href="http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/08/01/apple-officially-closes-on-3b-purchase-of-beats-headphones-streaming-service">$3 billion acquisition</a> of Beats.
    "

It's good to know they may still have some surprises in store even after all the announcements at the last Keynote. I'm sure their competitors are shaking in their boots about what the next nail in their coffin might be.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    I didn't think the content would be available on hulu outside of the us, but it is! Great links.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

I liked the way Cook laid out the Beats acquisition....aside from his gnawing at the idea that their choice of what song to play for you is so great (give me a break)....everything else was so valid. They have some great music industry minds (Lovine and Dre), a decent music streaming service ( that they can work together on to make better), a fast growing profitable headphone business (that they can likewise work together on to make better)...and within 12 months they'll be making money on the deal.

It doesn't get much better than that in terms of acquisition. I'd love to hear from the usual suspects who saw fit to berate Apple over the rumors of this deal from their amateur armchair stay-at-home blogger know-it-all perspective.

• Reply 4 of 13
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

I liked the way Cook laid out the Beats acquisition....aside from his gnawing at the idea that their choice of what song to play for you is so great (give me a break)....everything else was so valid. They have some great music industry minds (Lovine and Dre), a decent music streaming service ( that they can work together on to make better), a fast growing profitable headphone business (that they can likewise work together on to make better)...and within 12 months they'll be making money on the deal.

It doesn't get much better than that in terms of acquisition. I'd love to hear from the usual suspects who saw fit to berate Apple over the rumors of this deal from their amateur armchair stay-at-home blogger know-it-all perspective.

Apple paid for the entire acquisition in 24 hrs of iPhone sales. 

Just think about that. 

They're already making money on the deal, and now command the bulk of the premium headphone market. Sales of Beats Headphones, Apple Pay, new categories like the Apple Watch, and the insane sales of the iPhone6/6+ (as well as the rest of their highly profitable portfolio) is going to take Apple's revenues to yet another level. 

Oh and great segment. Cook may not have the intensity and gravitas that Jobs did in interviews, but I like what he has to say. 

• Reply 5 of 13
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    So the video doesn't work with the iPad from the Charlie Rose website? Anybody get it to play?

No, I do not wish to jump through Hulu's hoops.

Edit: Seems Charlie Rose's website is being run by 13-year-olds. IPads not supported. Can anyone provide a direct link to the Hulu video? Thanks.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Sorry Tim. Your soft, smooth sanctimonious prattle fools no one.

Wretch.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I watched both episodes on the Charlie Rose PBS web site and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. I came away thinking Steve would be very proud of his company today and the way Tim runs it.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    flaneur wrote: »
    So the video doesn't work with the iPad from the Charlie Rose website? Anybody get it to play?

Edit: Seems Charlie Rose's website is being run by 13-year-olds. IPads not supported. Can anyone provide a direct link to the Hulu video? Thanks.

I used my Mac Book Pro and I have Flash choked off so I have to assume it played using HTML5 on the PBS site but I didn't try on an iPad.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

I watched it on my iPad @ the iDownloadblog site.  Link to part 2 (Part 1 is on there somewhere)

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2014/09/15/cook-charlie-rose-interview-2/

• Reply 10 of 13

Where are all those calling for Tim Cook's head?  Yeah, that's what I thought.

The more I see of Tim Cook the better I like him and the direction he's taking Apple.  Again - Steve was right.

• Reply 11 of 13

Thanks AI for posting this. I’d given up as CR’s site just freezes up on me and I assumed it was then only available in the US; though I did get one interesting CR interview that I lost when I hit the refresh button.

Just checked YouTube and it is up there now though I don’t know for how long because on YT only fragments of Charlie Rose seem to be available. The Tim interview may be short lived, i.e., pulled, but now I have downloaded both hours to watch and study at  my leisure.

Tim’s question to Rose mentioned at the start of the second hour is stunning and defines, it explains how Apple thinks. In that first minute the company’s DNA is laid bare. It isn’t the process; it goes far deeper than that.

Amazing. 

• Reply 12 of 13
    Just watch it on YouTube. The full segment is there as well as some individual edits.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    I didn't think the content would be available on hulu outside of the us, but it is! Great links.

I got an error from Hulu that I can't watch it outside the US, but as I don't have Flash installed I had to set the user agent in Safari to iPad and voila, just works.

edit: just finished watching. Do watch the interview with the industrial designer Yves Behar right after Tim, great views on Apple/Steve.