Apple's new Watch, Apple Pay and iPhone 6 met with nervous mocking by competitors

Comments

• Reply 61 of 99
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    I wouldn't be too harsh on GTR.

I know his suggestions for the iPhone are somewhat outlandish, but generally speaking, his heart's in the right place.

Edit: of course, if he and I had ?Watches, he could send me his heartbeat with his location and I could verify that his heart is in the right place.

You just made me think ... Dr Who's hearts should show up well on an ?Watch! :D
  • Reply 62 of 99
    koopkoop Posts: 337member
    Paypal is the absolute worst to deal with. Expensive fees, high levels of fraud and pretty mediocre customer service. Their website is pretty terrible too.

I hope they are run out of business honestly.
  • Reply 63 of 99
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Don't forget the Fandroid panic!

Worse arguments I've read since Sept. 9

1. Android had all this in 2012!!

2. Apple may have record breaking iPhone sales, but only previous iPhone users bought those.

3. Apple hasn't innovated in years!! This is the same as the first iPhone.
    Wow, a touchscreen phone!! how innovative!!

4. Everything about iPhone 6 is just a copy!!!

5. ?Pay is insecure because celebrity selfies lol!

6. Apple is a cult. That's the only reason iPhone 6 is selling so well because of iSheep.
  • Reply 64 of 99
    sockrolid wrote: »
    Caption 1: "Oh come on.  Do I LOOK like I have an agenda?  I'm on a stool, dawg."

Caption 2: "My First Ladder"

Caption 3: "You sure Sammy isn't gonna see this bro?"
  • Reply 65 of 99
    You're absolutely right plus the bottom line is their ads seem to think consumers are morons and somehow we are all been duped - when people happily look and use their apple products, they know it's not flawed in any major way. Like that Cortana ad that says to remind the user to tell his wife happy anniversary - does Cortana speak loudly when you're talking to her? How does she feel about that? Or if you're at a forist to buy flowers for her. As someone who only has one wife and rarely forgets why I'm standing in a florist, how useful is that plus I heard they make SIRI sound more stilted but make the Cortana voice sound less robotic?
  • Reply 66 of 99
    Something dawned on me this morning...

With all the press/love/hate and attack ads against apple since Sept. 9th, I realized something:

This has got to be the most market disruption Apple has ever created in their history.
  • Reply 67 of 99
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DewMe View Post

The pile of soiled diapers is growing quickly across the community of product vendors who don't control their own integrated hardware, software, platform, and ecosystem solution and thus, their own destiny. Being good at only one thing no longer cuts it. Integration is king on the product side just as teamwork is key on the people side. All the world admired Steve Jobs' vision, passion, and design sensibilities but I think they've overlooked the killer instinct, persistence, and unrelenting focus on operational excellence that Tim Cook brings to the table. Now they will pay the price. Steve's last great act as visionary was leaving Jony and his team to carry on and extend the product vision in spectacular fashion and Tim and his crew to pummel the competition with operational excellence on a global scale like no company has ever done before. Multiply this times the thousands of world class Apple employees and here we are.

Welcome to the New Apple. 

One of the best and most astute posts I've ever read on this board. Well done. 

• Reply 68 of 99
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by koop View Post

Paypal is the absolute worst to deal with. Expensive fees, high levels of fraud and pretty mediocre customer service. Their website is pretty terrible too.

I hope they are run out of business honestly.

Does this knowledge come from frequent experience or have you just read about it?

I've been using Paypal quite extensively for quite a few years (over 10, I believe) and have never had a problem to date. Couldn't have been as successful in my projects without it... not by a mile.

• Reply 69 of 99
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Apple Pay: make hay.

Apple Watch: Newton botch.

So when the Apple Watch is insanely successful (which it will be), I hope you have the decency to call yourself out on being dead wrong.

• Reply 70 of 99
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Hopeless View Post

Maybe it will forever seem useless to you, but I bet you felt that way about the iPad, too.

I don't know about him, but when the iPad came out I wondered why I would ever need or even want one. I still haven't come up with a reason to buy one. (PLEASE don't everyone tell me YOUR reasons! There's very little chance they apply to me. I wish you nothing but happiness and enjoyment with yours, and in a minute you'll see that this isn't the point anyway.)

I feel the same way about the watch. Others may really enjoy it. I just don't see it having a place in MY life.

So, my question to the promoters and evangelists is, "So what?" Why would you care whether or not I buy one? (Shareholders are disqualified from commenting on that one for obvious reasons! :)) Enjoy it. Don't worry about what I'm doing.

My question to haters is "Why do you care if someone finds value in or derives enjoyment from a device just because YOU don't see a need for it?" Don't like it? Don't buy it. Don't worry about what others are doing.

• Reply 71 of 99
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cali View Post

6. Apple is a cult. That's the only reason iPhone 6 is selling so well because of iSheep.

That last one is actually part of Apple's plan. Seriously. They call it making their eco-system "sticky" but it amounts to the same thing. By getting people hooked on interactivity between Apple products they create what MBAs call "obstacles to exit."

My wife and I were talking about it the other day in the context of evaluating what impact on our lives would result from switching to another brand of phone. We decided it was just "easier" to stick with Apple and not worry about it.

Off to shoot another mattress commercial. Ba-ah-ah!

• Reply 72 of 99
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

"Nervous mocking" sounds like a loaded pro-Apple slant on these companies' materials. But it's actually clearly dead on.

(I also can't help noting what a bunch of face-touchers those Apple Watch users are.)

Which apple watch users are you referring to ... or are you just full of crap ?

• Reply 73 of 99
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cali View Post

Something dawned on me this morning...

With all the press/love/hate and attack ads against apple since Sept. 9th, I realized something:

This has got to be the most market disruption Apple has ever created in their history.

Ànd just which market is apple disrupting ? Smartwatches ???

• Reply 74 of 99
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Taniwha View Post

Ànd just which market is apple disrupting ? Smartwatches ???

Yes - it's a massive stretch to suggest that this is the most disruption Apple has caused in its history. I think we can reject that assertion on its face.

In the case of smart watches, I think "disruption" is not the word; there is no established market for smart watches. This product category has barely existed as a category for the last year.

I think the better word might be "establishing" - that is, Apple may be the first company to actually establish a viable market in this space.

• Reply 75 of 99
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

So the crown is redundant, as you wouldn't use it.

The crown is used for a lot more than zooming in and out of maps.

• Reply 76 of 99
    ingsoc wrote: »
    So the crown is redundant, as you wouldn't use it.

The crown is used for a lot more than zooming in and out of maps.

I heard an audible intake of breath among the audience when Tim introduced the crown. I interpreted that as: "Holy Shit! Why didn't anybody else think of that? It's so obvious!" Of course now the iHaters will be going: "Apple claims they invented the watch crown! LOL!"
  • Reply 77 of 99
    Haters gonna hate!
    But just what until the competition pays for those wearable showdowns. LOL!
  • Reply 78 of 99

PayPal, So secure you can't even close your account.

http://imgur.com/bDBAX56

-PopinFRESH

• Reply 79 of 99
    ibeamibeam Posts: 322member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rf9 View Post

PayPal is used on a lot of online merchant sites.  Nearly all of those will eventually integrate ApplePay ...

PayPal wouldn't be making such a stink if they weren't threatened.  Trust me.

So far I have not heard of Apple Pay being integrated with online shopping which is PayPal's major market. I agree they must be disappointed that Apple entered the brick and mortar payment realm because that was a market they had hoped to gain some traction in. I have seen a few stores where you could pay with PayPal but not many, so I don't think PayPal will lose much money in the near term because of Apple Pay, it is more a matter of the impact on their projected growth in the retail payment business. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I've been using Paypal quite extensively for quite a few years (over 10, I believe) and have never had a problem to date. Couldn't have been as successful in my projects without it... not by a mile.

One thing PayPal has going for it is the private person to person payment capability and their worldwide presence.

• Reply 80 of 99
    Samsung is worried that the kind of customer that buys a product because 'this one is bigger than that one' is no longer going to buy Samsung over Apple. Apple's products are higher quality (a factor of not being rushed to market like Samsungs), so the only thing Samsung can do is drop their price which will eat into their profits. No wonder they don't like it.