Apple's next product splash slated for second half of October

Comments

• Reply 21 of 113
    mac_128 wrote: »
    [quote name="blackbook" url="/t/182331/apples-next-product-splash-slated-for-second-half-of-october#post_2600291"
    No AppleTV, no iPods, and no MacBooks.
    Maybe no Apple TV hardware -- I think brokering a payment deal with the major banks is more than enough for one year. But there should be a software update along with Yosimite ... Isn't Airplay supposed to bypass the need to connect to a network and go direct into the box? I'm looking forward to that ...[/quote]

There will likely be a software update to coincide with Yosemite and iOS 8 but I don't think we will hear any announcement on AppleTV until next year.

apple ][ wrote: »
    I'm going to be a pessimist.

I'm definitely getting a new iPad soon, and I'd love to have an iPad Pro, but I just don't see that happening this year. I hope that I'm wrong of course.

I don't see why Apple wouldn't release a larger iPad this year? iOS 8 seems to be made for multiple screen sizes, and there seems to be code within iOS 8 to support split screen multitasking which would be perfect for a larger device.
  • Reply 22 of 113
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wigby View Post

If you're only using your desktop in the flash memory, why would you need any more than 256GB? Any RAID would handle all your big video and photo files. What else is there that takes up space?

I get lazy and leave folders with large files on the desktop. 256GB is probably enough for all non-video work but this is why I need to do some research ahead of time to figure out a proper work flow. I'm not against working on video files on the RAID, especially since TB2 with a RAID will be a whole lot faster than what I'm using now but I need to get info and data first. Thanks for the suggestion.

• Reply 23 of 113
    guiguihip wrote: »
    I don't know about the UK, but France, Belgium, the Netherlands, Germany, Spain, Italy (and many more) have no NFC whatsoever! Most people there don't know what that is! If you think Britain's nearly the only country in Europe (which many Americans seem to do, though I don't know if your American) then you're beyond mistaken: Britain's the most advanced country technologically in Europe, so Apple Pay might debut there soon, but the rest of Europe will have to wait at least 6 months. I know people who work at major credit card companies (Visa, MasterCard, and AmEx) and they told me it will take at least 6 months to get Apple Pay in Europe! China, Canada, and Japan may very well support Apple Pay in the next few weeks, but Europe won't!

I don't doubt that it will take 6 or more months until ApplePay is everywhere but in the near term I can foresee it coming to other areas where the infrastructure already exist.

I'm hoping we will hear about availability in at least Canada, Japan, South Korea, China, UK, and Australia this October.
  • Reply 24 of 113

The original iPod was introduced October 23, 2001. My birthday.

• Reply 25 of 113
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rob53 View Post

I get lazy and leave folders with large files on the desktop. 256GB is probably enough for all non-video work but this is why I need to do some research ahead of time to figure out a proper work flow. I'm not against working on video files on the RAID, especially since TB2 with a RAID will be a whole lot faster than what I'm using now but I need to get info and data first. Thanks for the suggestion.

I hear ya. I just always get confused when people are building their systems an assuming they need to spend the extra $800 on 1TB of flash and then skimp out on RAM or something else, especially if they are going to be running a giant, fast RAID.

• Reply 26 of 113
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member

My 3rd gen iPad is getting heavier all the time. ;)  I'm just waiting for an iPad Mini with Touch ID at this point. That, and a new Cinema Display would be pretty sweet.

• Reply 27 of 113

Everyone was so focus on last weeks announcement trying to dig up when apple was doing no one was really focus on what else they were doing. I wonder how much will leak out in the coming weeks for what is next. Cook obviously change the industrial spies to find the things they are working on which has not yet hit the rumor mills.

• Reply 28 of 113
    Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

I don't see why Apple wouldn't release a larger iPad this year? iOS 8 seems to be made for multiple screen sizes, and there seems to be code within iOS 8 to support split screen multitasking which would be perfect for a larger device.

It's just a hunch. There is no actual evidence to support my pessimism. I do agree with you that split screen multitasking would be great on a larger device.

And this way, if I were wrong, and Apple does release a larger iPad this year, I will be pleasantly surprised.

Shouldn't there be leaks though? Everything that Apple releases lately has been accompanied by leaks and photos.

• Reply 29 of 113
    This is great. Hopefully there are new things that haven't been rumored yet as Tim has stated. Touch ID for all Macs would be a huge plus. I'm still waiting for the need to get a laptop (I don't own one myself just an original iPad and a retina iPad Mini) and I want it to be a Mac. Still waiting for a major breakthrough/update for Apple TV as well.
  • Reply 30 of 113

New iPad for me (and count me as part of the (unpopular?) crowd that would like more than 1Gb of ram).

Updated Apple TV box would be nice too.

• Reply 31 of 113

Mac Mini update anyone? Looking to buy one but I know I need to wait for this show before I do.

• Reply 32 of 113
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    wigby wrote: »
    If you're only using your desktop in the flash memory, why would you need any more than 256GB? Any RAID would handle all your big video and photo files. What else is there that takes up space?

You can't be serious! 256GB these days is a minimal hard disk/SSD size. That with ITunes on a separate disk. It is extremely short sighted for anyone to consider the purchase of a machine with only 128 GB of storage. You can easily run out of room with a disk of that size.
  • Reply 33 of 113
    removed - wrong thread
  • Reply 34 of 113
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member

The Continuity features introduced at the WWDC would be the perfect "glue" for the next Apple event, demonstrating why the iOS ecosystems is really part of a seamless Apple ecosystem.  It's odd for us long-time Apple fans to accept, but for most people nowadays an iMac or PowerBook is basically an iPhone/iPad accessory.  Demonstrating how easy it will be to move between devices throughout the day is key.

• Reply 35 of 113
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

You can't be serious! 256GB these days is a minimal hard disk/SSD size. That with ITunes on a separate disk. It is extremely short sighted for anyone to consider the purchase of a machine with only 128 GB of storage. You can easily run out of room with a disk of that size.

I've been using a 240GB SSD in my Mac Pro tower and that includes iTunes, photos and a little video and it still has 50 GB of room. Apple doesn't even offer 128GB flash for the new Mac Pro but if they did I would choose that. I have a 12TB RAID so why would I want to put anything but 50Gb of system files and apps on my boot drive?

• Reply 36 of 113
    rob53 wrote: »
    I'm waiting for a real upgrade to the iMacs, one that will decide whether I get and iMac or Mac Pro. If the iMac upgrade is simply an update and the Mac Pro comes out with a better update and a monitor that doesn't cost as must as the Pro, then I just might go that direction. I know I'm going to be buying some kind of a RAID anyway so I'll focus on getting the proper size flash storage and figuring out which RAID is the quietest and best value. I'll probably end up building a sound deadening compartment for it that has enough airflow to keep it cool, mounting it under my desk. My next job will be to get all the information on moving my iPhoto and iTunes libraries to the RAID and will probably put some of my home directory there are well, leaving my Desktop on the flash storage (I know I have a messy desktop but that's how I (mis)manage my files).

I can recommend The Promise Pegasus 12 RAID (10 TB) -- Thunderbolt 1. I have two -- they are top quality as if made by Apple. Zero problems -- even pulled a drive out while it was running. There is no fan or other noise.

Likely, I will go for the next Mac Pro and add a new Pegasus RAID with Thunderbolt 2.

We have shared consolidated iTunes (5.28 TB) and iPhoto (321.33 GB) libraries -- both reside on the Pegasus RAIDS -- and are up 24/7 as is my iMac 27. Also there are large FCPX Libraries all over the place.

I am aa Apple Developer -- and I usually have at least 3 versions of OS X available for boot. I have no problem installing OS X on a Pegasus RAID -- and it appears to run as fast from the Pegasus as frm the SSD drive on my mid 2011 iMac 27.
  • Reply 37 of 113
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    What other company is kicking this much a** and announcing this many products?

But next month we'll hear "Apple can't innovate" from people typing on their iPhoneys or other iKnockoff.
  • Reply 38 of 113
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Oh wow, more fun to come. It is mind boggling that we sit here excited about stuff from Apple while there are folks killing other people over who has the best god! It's a strange world we live in. It's as if the 21st Century and 13th are side by side at times. I am just freaking glad and grateful to be in the 21st!
  • Reply 39 of 113
    wigby wrote: »
    I hear ya. I just always get confused when people are building their systems an assuming they need to spend the extra $800 on 1TB of flash and then skimp out on RAM or something else, especially if they are going to be running a giant, fast RAID.

Skimping on RAM is bad, everybody knows that. However you seem to be awfully dismissive of the importance of A suitably sized SSD. Generally if people spend the extra $800 on that 1TB SSD they have a good reason to do so. It is surprising how much space some apps take up these days. Even more surprising at times is the number and size of the intermediate and temporary files that software generates these days.

Obviously usage dictates to an extent how SSD space will be allocated. Without understanding what that usage is one can only respond in general terms.
  • Reply 40 of 113
    j1h15233 wrote: »
    Mac Mini update anyone? Looking to buy one but I know I need to wait for this show before I do.

I really hope so! It is sad though that your post is the first mention of the Mini in this entire thread. Interest simply isn't what it was for this machine. This is why I'm expecting a major overhaul.