How to enable and use 'Hey Siri' handsfree mode in iOS 8

Posted:
in iPhone edited October 2014
Apple's voice-controlled personal assistant Siri becomes even more powerful with iOS 8, including an entirely hands-free mode that allows users to ask questions and accomplish tasks by simply first saying the words "Hey, Siri."

After installing iOS 8, users can enable Siri's new handsfree mode by opening their iPhone or iPad's Settings application, choosing General, and then Siri. From there, simply ensure that the switch for "Allow 'Hey Siri'" is turned on.

"You can speak to Siri without pressing the home button by saying 'Hey Siri' when connected to power," iOS 8 notifies users.

"Hey, Siri" works in any situation as long as the iPhone or iPad is plugged in, even if the screen is locked or if an application is open and running. Users can simply speak naturally, and do not need to pause after saying "Hey, Siri."

In addition to the new handsfree mode, will Siri also tap into the HomeKit features Apple has baked into iOS 8. As new applications and third-party accessories hit the market, users will be able to use Siri to accomplish tasks like adjusting the temperature in their home, closing the garage door, or even locking the front door.

Early betas of iOS 8 would respond to smart home commands.

In earlier developer beta releases of Siri, the system would respond to commands such as "close the garage" or "turn on the kitchen lights. As of the golden master of iOS 8, however, the voice-driven assistant simply conducts a Web search, suggesting that HomeKit features may not be active until a user installs appropriate third-party applications.

Apple is also expected to update Siri in iOS 8 to use Shazam to identify a song that is currently audible. Currently, however, Siri will simply tell the user what song file is playing on the iPhone or iPad itself.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 60
    I like the HomeKit integration. Now I just need control modules for my lights and garage door, and thermostat.
  • Reply 2 of 60

That sounds like a cool feature, I can't wait to try that!

No more pressing the home button to activate SIRI!

I do use SIRI multiple times each day, so this will be useful.

• Reply 3 of 60
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    I've just downloaded iOS 8 and installed it without any problems but my phone still doesn't look like an iPhone 6 (which is what I ordered).

Does anybody know if there is an additional setting I need to enable to complete the process?
  • Reply 3 of 60

When is iOS8 coming out by the way? Isn't it tomorrow or something?

• Reply 5 of 60

“When connected to power.” Good. Now idiots can’t whine that their batteries are being drawn by a microphone always on.

I could write songs...

• Reply 6 of 60
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Hey Apple ][, you are such a cool dude! Keep up the good work!

I just googled it for you, and iOS 8 is supposed to come out later on today!:smokey:

• Reply 7 of 60
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    "Apple is also expected to update Siri in iOS 8 to use Shazam to identify a song that is currently audible."

C'mon Apple... buy Shazam already!!!!!!
  • Reply 8 of 60
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

That sounds like a cool feature, I can't wait to try that!

No more pressing the home button to activate SIRI!

I do use SIRI multiple times each day, so this will be useful.

Ditto, but the iPhone must be plugged in. That makes it useful in the car, for me. During the week it is the only plugging in / charging I do, and also where I use Siri the most. Turning down the lights or thermostats in the house will require me to physically press the button, however. Not a huge deal. Maybe one day in the future I will have an old Siri enables phone plugged in in every room...?  

• Reply 9 of 60
    At 17:55 London time (that's 12:55pm EDT) a quick go at Software Update yielded a hit - iOS 8 is downloading ... hope it completes before the rush ! It came in at 984MB and is now showing me that I have 5 mins left for the download.
  • Reply 10 of 60

Boom! Speak of the devil!

It's 1 PM EST, and iOS8 just showed up on one of my devices!

• Reply 11 of 60

Woah! It's a big update! It requires 5.7 GB of storage on one of my iPads. I guess that I will have to delete a few large games.

• Reply 12 of 60

It's out!  Downloading right now! Can't wait :)

• Reply 13 of 60

Tried it on my iPad 3 and it's telling me it's a 1.1GB download - and it's queuing my request - a note tells me my request has been received and it will begin downloading later ... guess when there's a lull - so Friday then!

• Reply 14 of 60

I deleted a few large apps, and I am currently downloading iOS 8! 

The first attempt failed, Apple servers are probably getting slammed right now, so I'm trying again!

• Reply 15 of 60
    I have the IOS beta and used Hey Siri and Shazem features on my car, very nice. tried to use the map app to navigate me to some place. It works, but i could not start the voice navigation for me.

Also, I am confused about the HomeKit features. How it work ? I already use LiftMaster app on my phone to control my Garage door and Ecobbe Thermostat app to set the AC, How they can be integrated into the HomeKit features on IOS 8 devices, Anyone has some input ?
  • Reply 16 of 60
    Now all i have to do is run around in large crowds and yell. HEY SIRI! This is the fun/new joke.
  • Reply 17 of 60
    Originally Posted by Alexmit View Post

Now all i have to do is run around in large crowds and yell. HEY SIRI! This is the fun/new joke.

“Connected to power.”

• Reply 18 of 60
    apple ][ wrote: »

Yeah, or something.
  • Reply 19 of 60
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

“When connected to power.” Good. Now idiots can’t whine that their batteries are being drawn by a microphone always on.

I could write songs...

Holy shit, I just noticed I'm in your sig. Can't say I expected that to ever happen..now I have to question everything I ever knew to be true :P

• Reply 20 of 60
    Now if they wud just work on voice recognition problems. My sis, her husband, and my gf always try to use siri and I will race them with Google now on my HTC one m8 and I am always, ALWAYS the winner.