Apple launches iOS 8 for iPhone & iPad with third-party keyboards, widgets, Continuity & more

Comments

• Reply 41 of 136

Just started the update. Says "About 22 minutes remaining."

Will this thing be done by the time I leave work at 5pm EST? 

Edit: 30 seconds later, now says 35 min remaining. Sh*t. 

• Reply 42 of 136
    markcu wrote: »
    = another Apple clusterf@ck.

Can't do web casts properly
    Can't operate their online store properly
    Can't roll out their update properly.

It doesn't take a genius to make a guess that all of these things might be in high demand when they first roll out.  Apple should have the scale and intelligence to negate such challenges. :-(

You're challenged... Apple should negate you... (Ha ha... just kidding dude)...

Patience, you'll get your update, make love to her then forget her like you're about to do to 7... Ha ha... Enjoy the foreplay a little, she's just likes teasing you...
  • Reply 43 of 136
    40 min halfway through the download alone...

My internet speed is 10 Mbps, and I'm from Brazil.

I guess Apple servers are quite overloaded!
  • Reply 44 of 136
    on iPhone 5S 32gb - 3 hours remaining. Had to delete all my music in order to get the download to happen. yes, it requires 5.7gb.
  • Reply 45 of 136
    Anyone have the IPSW download links or build numbers?
  • Reply 46 of 136

"Learn More" says

"Continuity ....

Available on iPhone 5 and later"

So it has been dropped for the 4S ...:no:

• Reply 47 of 136

I work IT and we sent out a broadcast email to all employee's to not do this at work (or at least wait til after 5 local time)...don't want our wireless network to come to a crawl.....

• Reply 48 of 136

Both iPhone 5S and iPad mini retina preparing update now.  Total download time about 8 minutes each.  Let's see how long the preparation itself takes...

• Reply 49 of 136

Too late?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by StephenMC View Post

I work IT and we sent out a broadcast email to all employee's to not do this at work (or at least wait til after 5 local time)...don't want our wireless network to come to a crawl.....

• Reply 50 of 136
    Originally Posted by ericlmercer View Post

No updates available on an iPhone 4, just as expected...

Just as Apple always told us...

• Reply 51 of 136
    dalle wrote: »
    "Learn More" says
    "Continuity ....
    Available on iPhone 5 and later"

So it has been dropped for the 4S ...:no:

"Continuity" also refers to Apple's assured continuity when users upgrade hardware... ;)
  • Reply 52 of 136

All you impatient people just remember that at precisely 10 am Cupertino time about 10,000,000 to 50,000,000 people hit the Intall button. No wonder the servers re overloaded. If you are not too impatient, just wait several hours, maybe until tomorrow, and you will be able to update without any hesitation.

• Reply 53 of 136
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member

both my updates (ip 4s & 2nd gen iPad download) have taken approx 7 minutes each. simple wi-fi, business account from sonic.net.

install, however, takes a bit more time. 

• Reply 54 of 136

This may be an ignorant question, but I'm coming back to iOS after a brief hiatus after the iphone 4.

When iOS8 references widgets, are they the same things as I've had in Android like clocks to put on my home screen, google search bars, etc?

I haven't seen any screenshots of iOS8 with anything but the stock icon grid so I wonder if I've got my terminology confused somehow or am interpreting something incorrectly.

Looking forward to Friday!

• Reply 55 of 136

Updating an iPhone and an iPad.

Started slightly after 1 p.m. EDT, both downloads took less than five minutes. But I'm coming up on one hour into the "Preparing Update" phase and the bars are slightly under 75%. This is going to be a lengthy process.

• Reply 56 of 136

I froze on preparing to update after about a 25 minute download. Been here for about 30 minutes. Time for lunch. :)

• Reply 57 of 136
    It now works also in Germany - iPad 2 update, 861MB - iPhone 5S 1,92GB update. I don't know yet how much free space is needed though... :) but have 9,8GB available in the former, and 7,4GB in the latter :)
  • Reply 58 of 136
    froodfrood Posts: 771member

Curious to see Apple's implementation of widgets if anyone has used them.  It is probably ancient history by now, but if you select a different browser in iOS, and then click a link in the browser- does it open the link in your browser of choice or revert Apple's browser?  Anyone know how long it will be before the 6plus will be hitting Apple stores?

• Reply 59 of 136

BTW: on the iPad 2 with OTA it shows "Update requested..." and then "Your software update requested has been received. You will be notified when the update has been downloaded and is ready to install"  - I don't remember ever seeing this.

• Reply 60 of 136
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member

AppleTV update took 5 minutes to download...

iPhone 5 update now says 7 hours remaining! :-(

Update...

Must've been a slow link? I shut down the iPhone in the middle of the download. After it rebooted, it resumed downloading using a much faster link, now it says 4 minutes remaining.

The AppleTV is still "Preparing update..."