How to enable and use 'Hey Siri' handsfree mode in iOS 8

Comments

• Reply 21 of 60
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Ditto, but the iPhone must be plugged in. That makes it useful in the car, for me. During the week it is the only plugging in / charging I do, and also where I use Siri the most. Turning down the lights or thermostats in the house will require me to physically press the button, however. Not a huge deal. Maybe one day in the future I will have an old Siri enables phone plugged in in every room...?  

Hey Siri works great for hand free in the car when plugged in. I often forgot to close the damn garage door when already upstairs...Hey Siri, close my fking garage, turn off the lights and turn on my classical music station, please...lol

"Sorry, I don't understand what "fking garage" means"...lol.

• Reply 22 of 60
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

I've just downloaded iOS 8 and installed it without any problems but my phone still doesn't look like an iPhone 6 (which is what I ordered).

Does anybody know if there is an additional setting I need to enable to complete the process?

They'll be rolling out actual "Firmware" updates, starting Friday, I think!

• Reply 23 of 60
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Originally Posted by Alexmit View Post

Now all i have to do is run around in large crowds and yell. HEY SIRI! This is the fun/new joke.

“Connected to power.”

Reliable sources tell me this joke will still work because of all the 'wallhuggers'...

• Reply 24 of 60
    boredumb wrote: »
    Reliable sources tell me this joke will still work because of all the 'wallhuggers'...
    *ba dum tis*

For those of us with charging cases this will be possible even when out and about which will be sweet.
  • Reply 25 of 60
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTR View Post

I've just downloaded iOS 8 and installed it without any problems but my phone still doesn't look like an iPhone 6 (which is what I ordered).

Does anybody know if there is an additional setting I need to enable to complete the process?

The secret liquid metal technology means you first have to grind the phone into a fine powder then microwave for 9 minutes (for a 1200 watt oven, lower power will, of course, take longer) to trigger the programmed reconfirmation. It's best not to reheat your breakfast pizza at the same time, unfortunate incidents have been reported.

A blender set on "Hyper" will do but then the screen may be a bit pixelated as the nano particles won't be quite so nano for the rebuild.

Important safety tip: Do NOT let it get wet! It'll go all "droid" on you in that case.

• Reply 26 of 60
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    jfc1138 wrote: »
    The secret liquid metal technology means you first have to grind the phone into a fine powder then microwave for 9 minutes (for a 1200 watt oven, lower power will, of course, take longer) to trigger the programmed reconfirmation. It's best not to reheat your breakfast pizza at the same time, unfortunate incidents have been reported.

A blender set on "Hyper" will do but then the screen may be a bit pixelated as the nano particles won't be quite so nano for the rebuild.

Important safety tip: Do NOT let it get wet! It'll go all "droid" on you in that case.

Crap.

I've done this all wrong. Thanks for the tip!

That would also explain why my Space Grey iPad is now Silver.

Cheers!
  • Reply 27 of 60
    gtr wrote: »

LOL. Comments from you make me ignore all trollish posts combined from, well, trolls. Keep 'em coming GTR!

simtub wrote: »

Wow! You have a telco that changes names upon signal strength - cool!
  • Reply 28 of 60
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

iOS8 needs 6.9GB to install on my iPad Air.. WTF?? I have 600 MB free. 

• Reply 29 of 60

I wonder if you have one of those battery cases you can just flip on the battery so it thinks the iPhone is charging, use Siri, then flip the battery switch back off?

• Reply 30 of 60

Why is there a "when connected to power" requirement? I can see it if the display is off, but in general, why not allow it normally?

Hop in your car, throw the phone in the Airframe, start driving, "Hey Siri.... navigate to...."

• Reply 31 of 60
    Quote:

Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post

Why is there a "when connected to power" requirement? I can see it if the display is off, but in general, why not allow it normally?

Hop in your car, throw the phone in the Airframe, start driving, "Hey Siri.... navigate to...."

Why is that requirement an issue? I've normally got my iPhone connected to in my car's USB port for audio system integration. So now I get "Hey Siri" for free. Not that pressing the steering wheel button to activate Siri was inconvenient before.

• Reply 32 of 60
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Why is that requirement an issue? I've normally got my iPhone connected to in my car's USB port for audio system integration. So now I get "Hey Siri" for free. Not that pressing the steering wheel button to activate Siri was inconvenient before.

Different people have different requirements. I don't charge in the car. Audio link is BlueTooth. Cable is an unnecessary step. Or it should be.

• Reply 33 of 60
    "Hey Siri, open the pod bay doors..."
  • Reply 34 of 60

Auspicious start for Siri: one of the first things I set on completion of iOS8 upgrade was Enable Hey Siri, and it instantly recognised, when asked, David Gray's "Babylon" and I'd do Anything (from "Oliver") off the TV speakers. Shazaam!

• Reply 35 of 60
    Why is that requirement an issue?

1) Because if someone is in the passenger seat with their iPhone and there's no Lightning cable you can't use it anymore?

2) Radio DJ's are going to have a lot of fun with "Hey Siri"
  • Reply 36 of 60
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    philboogie wrote: »
    2) Radio DJ's are going to have a lot of fun with "Hey Siri"

L O L
  • Reply 37 of 60
    gtr wrote: »

iOS 8 is the software only.

When you ordered a new iPhone 6, that is new hardware that Apple has to physically ship to you. It isn't possible for Apple to change your current iPhone into an iPhone 6 using software at this moment in time.

So you will have to check your post for your new iPhone 6.

Hope that answers your question.
  • Reply 38 of 60
    apple ][ wrote: »
    Boom! Speak of the devil!

It's 1 PM EST, and iOS8 just showed up on one of my devices!

You mean you've just downloaded Android?

God forbid.
  • Reply 39 of 60
    Now all i have to do is run around in large crowds and yell. HEY SIRI! This is the fun/new joke.

“Connected to power.”

How long before some bright spark decides to run amok in a café with lots of iDevices plugged in and shout, "Hey Siri! Delete my data!" or some other mischievous command?
  • Reply 40 of 60
    fallenjt wrote: »
    paxman wrote: »

Ditto, but the iPhone must be plugged in. That makes it useful in the car, for me. During the week it is the only plugging in / charging I do, and also where I use Siri the most. Turning down the lights or thermostats in the house will require me to physically press the button, however. Not a huge deal. Maybe one day in the future I will have an old Siri enables phone plugged in in every room...?  
    Hey Siri works great for hand free in the car when plugged in. I often forgot to close the damn garage door when already upstairs...Hey Siri, close my fking garage, turn off the lights and turn on my classical music station, please...lol
    "Sorry, I don't understand what "fking garage" means"...lol.

More like, "When you've learnt some manners, then I'll carry out your wishes."