Apple updates iWork for iOS suite with support for iOS 8, stability fixes

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2014
Following the release of iOS 8 on Wednesday, Apple rolled out updates for its iWork productivity app suite, bringing the titles up to speed with the company's latest mobile operating system.

So far, Apple has released Numbers and Keynote and Pages, all of which have reached version 2.4.2, with added support for iOS 8.

Looking at the release notes, it appears that the productivity suite is getting only a minor update to add support for Apple's latest iOS, which launched earlier today. The new versions are also compatible with iCloud Drive, but without OS X 10.10 Yosemite, the cross-platform file syncing and storage service is of limited use.

Apple notes the latest software comes with stability improvements and bug fixes.

Numbers and Keynote weigh in at 241MB and 459MB, respectively. Users who recently purchased an iOS device can download the apps for free from the iOS App Store, while those with older hardware can buy the apps at a price of $9.99 each.

Update: Apple has released Pages version 2.4.2 with the same iOS 8-centric changes seen in Numbers and Keynote. The app weighs in at 276MB and can be downloaded from the iOS App Store. The article has been updated to reflect the new information.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Interesting. Huge downloads just like iOS8. The update took over 1 hour on a 50MB link. And doing iOS8 update from iTunes was not available as an option.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Also a neat GarageBand update with some choice productivity enhancements.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    At this rate Apple would be giving Netflix a run for their money with who is causing the most bandwidth usage on the net. Even with all the new servers they have coming online it's going to be a while before there is enough server capacity for this many simultaneous downloads. Can't imagine what it will be like next year with even more users and added devices like the AppleWatch as I would assume updates for that would role out at the same time as iOS 9 would be released.
  • Reply 4 of 10

iWork for iCloud now works with iCloudDrive.

• Reply 5 of 10
    lolliver wrote: »
    At this rate Apple would be giving Netflix a run for their money with who is causing the most bandwidth usage on the net. Even with all the new servers they have coming online it's going to be a while before there is enough server capacity for this many simultaneous downloads. Can't imagine what it will be like next year with even more users and added devices like the AppleWatch as I would assume updates for that would role out at the same time as iOS 9 would be released.
    Probably by then apple will have added more servers to hold bandwidth, don't you think they add X amount for each added device per year, espicially a larger amount for this new product category, I haft to wonder now is how will the watch update, plug to itunes on computer or it via wifi, your iPhone do it? It itself, and then there's question on IPhone part does it download strait to device or does IPhone host it whole time?
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Probably by then apple will have added more servers to hold bandwidth, don't you think they add X amount for each added device per year, espicially a larger amount for this new product category, I haft to wonder now is how will the watch update, plug to itunes on computer or it via wifi, your iPhone do it? It itself, and then there's question on IPhone part does it download strait to device or does IPhone host it whole time?

Yes, it will be interesting to see how the updates are handled for the AppleWatch.

Apple has built a few new data centres recently and continues to expand/build new ones. While that will help to some extent at times like this when they are releasing so many updates simultaneously I still think there will be issues with the servers meeting demand at times like these. Especially as the number of active devices increases and they continue to support updates for several past generations of devices. I don't consider that a negative against Apple however. It's only once or twice a year where there is this much demand on their servers and it wouldn't make sense to build out the capacity to meet that demand when it's not needed for the rest of the year. They already take steps to address it like releasing the iOS update a few days before the new phones so the updates aren't happening at the same time as the activations and downloading of apps onto the new devices. They also don't start sending out push notifications about the iOS update until the demand on the servers has decreased.

I actually see it as a positive for Apple that so many people are accessing their servers simultaneously in order to upgrade to the latest OS. Don't know of any other tech companies that can claim to have this "Problem". :D
  • Reply 7 of 10
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    iWork for iCloud now works with iCloudDrive.

Not really.. For me the big featured of iCloud Drive were being able to open files between Apps. If this is supported in any of the iwork Apps they have done an outstanding job of hiding it and striking any mention of it from the help.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

I love Keynote, and Pages is decent enough (though not as Word-compatible as I would need for work), but Apple really needs to scrap Numbers and start over from scratch.

• Reply 9 of 10
    john.b wrote: »
    I love Keynote, and Pages is decent enough (though not as Word-compatible as I would need for work), but Apple really needs to scrap Numbers and start over from scratch.

Maybe not start over, but it has many areas in need of improvement. ????
  • Reply 10 of 10
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

Can someone explain to me why iCloud Drive is not working/accessible in any 3rd party App, or even iWork, that was updated to support it?

WTF happened to this: