Tim Cook touts new Apple privacy policies in open letter to customers

Comments

• Reply 21 of 83
    mispost

• Reply 22 of 83
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Thanks Tim.

If you want to keep our trust, I suggest you don't push unwanted music into our private libraries.

Adding free music to your private playlist is not the same thing as handing your private playlist to a government or advertisers.

• Reply 23 of 83

I'm pleased at Tim's Apple privacy note, but still have a few concerns.

With iOS 7 I noticed:

-Several new functions in my Gmail settings, which were set on by default.

They gave Google Gmail access to my Contacts, Calendar and  notes.

Very personal info, I definitely don't want Google getting into !

-The Find My iPhone setting backs up my photos to iCloud.

When I try turning off backing up my photos,  I get the msg

that if I turn the iCloud backup off,  my photos on my iPhone will also be deleted.

WTH !

Two ugly Apple privacy concerns I have !  :(

• Reply 24 of 83
    apple ][ wrote: »
    Many Android users are basically selling their souls to the devil. The privacy and security of an Android user is obviously not worth all that much, since they were willing to sell themselves out and whore themselves out for almost nothing. Don't these people have any pride? Is it really worth putting your entire security at risk and sacrificing your privacy to save a few measly dollars maybe? Is it any wonder that I hold extremely low opinions of Android users?

Let's forget about Apple having the best OS, the best apps and the best devices around for a moment. Privacy and security will be one of Apple's greatest strengths going forward, especially since mobile payments (?Pay) are about to take off big time.

What is the net worth of the average Android user? $13.50? I would never in a million years want to have my personal info, my banking info, my financial info and other important info on any Android device. I also expect Touch ID to be included on virtually all Apple devices eventually, as that is a big step forward for security. Apple includes vital features that actually work and that people can trust, not gimmicky crap that hardly works.

I read a funny thing today, Steve Wozniak said that he's ditching his Android phones now that the new iPhones are out.:lol:  

I am not certain that the vast majority of consumers understand the implications of their choices. For example, I had to offer to purchase an iPhone for my mother for her to really consider an iPhone even after providing her with a hyperlink to the Apple page about Continuity. She already has an iPad which she loves but she just doesn't understand that Android and iOS aren't created equal much like Microsoft and Apple aren't created equal.
  • Reply 25 of 83
    Quote:

Thanks Tim.

If you want to keep our trust, I suggest you don't push unwanted music into our private libraries.

FFS, I don't know how many times I've read this type of response. They didn't force this on anyone, it was never pushed down to devices without permission. The album was made free and available on your account, which means if you happen to have automatic downloads enabled for apps and songs etc then it would act like any other album or app and download to your device. If you had that turned off it wouldn't have. Simple. 

So to make it clear, if the album automatically downloaded to your device, it was because YOU had automatic downloads on. This was a choice by YOU. If you don't like it, THEN DELETE IT.

• Reply 26 of 83
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JoshA View Post

that if I turn the iCloud backup off,  my photos on my iPhone will also be deleted.

WTH !

Find My iPhone has nothing to do with backing up your photos. Your statement is completely wrong in that regard.

If you de-select Photos from the iCloud settings, only the photos in your Photo Stream album are deleted from your iPhone. The photos you took on your iPhone or synced to your iPhone remain intact. The photos in iCloud also aren't deleted by your de-selection action, but they will expire and be individually deleted from iCloud as they each reach 30 days of age--this 30-day expiration and deletion also occurs whether or not you've activated Photos (Photo Stream) in iCloud.

• Reply 27 of 83
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Adding free music to your private playlist is not the same thing as handing your private playlist to a government or advertisers.
    It isn't, but adding anything to a private account even if it has automatic downloads switched on is overstepping the line IMO. In this case it was not a huge deal but I'm surprised it was done this way rather than just offering the album up for free. Its the principle of the act that is questionable, not the intention behind it.
  • Reply 28 of 83
    I'm wondering if this new implementation is a sticking point for Chinese governmental approval. If so, this letter may be a political posturing.
  • Reply 29 of 83
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Quote:

Thanks Tim.

nobody can ever satisfy a crybaby. if you don't want it, don't click on it.

• Reply 30 of 83
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:

Thanks Tim.

Yeah, that was pretty tone-deaf for a company of Apple's lineage.  But if you're that offended by this, you might want to turn off automatic music downloads.

Edit:  Charlie beat me too it.

• Reply 31 of 83
    I love Apple under Tim Cook. Crisp, clear and to the point.
  • Reply 32 of 83
    Search for: Jaron Lanier on youtube
    Or search for his book: "You are not a Gadget"
  • Reply 33 of 83
    Enough about the U2 album already! It was a gift, accept it graciously. If you don't like it, just remove it from your phone and/or Mac. Why are people complaining about this?
  • Reply 34 of 83

I am not only impressed and taken by Tim's words and honesty, but the reactions of all you(except for Mr. Frost).  As I am right along side of you in really enjoying how Tim is running things up there.  It is becoming very clear just what he means by the word "TRANSPARENT".  I think / hope the word is about to see just how serious Apple is about privacy.

As for reactions like Mr. Frost's, I witnessed a gentleman come into an Apple store the other day, steaming and fuming at how frustrated he was that Apple had done this.  It is the same people that don't understand the settings under location services, and think when an app asks for permission to use features of your phone, they are going to take over control when you are asleep.  

Educate yourselves people before shooting off your trap, otherwise you just end up sounding like a fool.

?Rocks!

:)

• Reply 35 of 83
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    Enough about the U2 album already! It was a gift, accept it graciously. If you don't like it, just remove it from your phone and/or Mac. Why are people complaining about this?

People will bitch about anything. If Tim Cook tried to send them flowers with a hand written apology note, they would be outraged that he printed their private address on the front of the envelope.
  • Reply 36 of 83
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I love Apple under Tim Cook. Crisp, clear and to the point.
    Couldn't agree more. I find it amazing that he is the head of one of the largest companies in the world and yet seems so grounded and genuine. It is hard to fault Apple at this point.
  • Reply 37 of 83
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JoshA View Post

I'm pleased at Tim's Apple privacy note, but still have a few concerns.

With iOS 7 I noticed:

-Several new functions in my Gmail settings, which were set on by default.

They gave Google Gmail access to my Contacts, Calendar and  notes.

Very personal info, I definitely don't want Google getting into !

WTH !

Two ugly Apple privacy concerns I have !  :(

Please learn how your phone works before posting stuff like this.  So exactly how are you supposed to send emails from Gmail if you don't give it access to your contacts?  Anyway, simply go to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > select your Gmail account > turn off access to anything you'd like.  Easy peesy.

• Reply 38 of 83

out

• Reply 39 of 83
    trydtryd Posts: 143member

Same here. I couldn't even find it because I had deselected Show iTunes purchases in the cloud (or whatever it is called in English). After I turned that on I could see it and download it.

• Reply 40 of 83
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    goofy1958 wrote: »

Please learn how your phone works before posting stuff like this.  So exactly how are you supposed to send emails from Gmail if you don't give it access to your contacts?  Anyway, simply go to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > select your Gmail account > turn off access to anything you'd like.  Easy peesy.

Allowing Google access to your contacts isn't about sending email. All the mail server needs is a message with "[email protected]" on the top. Giving Google access to your contacts is about using Google instead of iCloud to sync your contacts.

My question is, why would you even have a gmail account if you don't trust Google.