Beats Music comes to Apple TV alongside flat user interface, iOS 8 integrations

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited September 2014
Apple iOS devices weren't the only products to receive updates Wednesday, as the company also rolled out new software for the Apple TV that brings a flatter user interface, a new Beats Music app, and support for Family Sharing.

Beats Music allows users to sign up for a 14-day free trial directly from the Apple TV, configuring their favorite genres and artists much like the flow on the iOS app. USer-centric curation largely matches the iOS app as well, though Beats's famous "The Sentence" feature is missing.

Also arriving is support for Family Sharing. With the feature, users can access songs and movies purchased or rented with any Apple ID associated with the set-top streamer.

The updated UI was first spotted early last month. Each of the default icons has been reworked with a more modern veneer, eschewing the now-defunct iOS "gloss" effects for a matte appearance, and the background starburst effect has given way to gradients that match those found in iOS 8.

The pictographs themselves have also been made more sleek. The "Settings" icon underwent the most radical change, gaining the same nested gears icon found in Apple's newest mobile and desktop operating systems.

Apple TV version 6.2.1 is available now as an over-the-air update from the Apple TV's Settings menu. Unfortunately, the new UI and Beats Music app appear to be limited to the third-generation Apple TV.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Hallelujah!
    Thank you Apple - if only this could have been accomplished earlier. The interface that is- not the Beats.
    And hopefully this portends a 4th gen next month!
  • Reply 2 of 15
    drblank just quit the forums. again.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    drblank just quit the forums. again.

[@]drblank[/@] hasn't posted in 4 months. Can't believe he'd let the Beats acquisition affect him like that.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Is that me or the showtime anywhere app is new too?
  • Reply 5 of 15
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    so does the family sharing work across apple stores?

so, if i have an US itunes account and son has a UK iTunes account, they will be able to share?
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Entropys View Post

so, if i have an US itunes account and son has a UK iTunes account, they will be able to share?

Highly unlikely.  Family sharing doesn't change geographical licensing.

• Reply 7 of 15
    Anyone know of Beats integration in the iTunes desktop application? The web interface doesn't cut it as it doesn't have native airplay integration, forcing me to output all sound from my mac to a airplay device as opposed to just the application's. I don't want to have to mess with AirFoil...
  • Reply 8 of 15
    entropys wrote: »

Would need to have both accounts using the same credit card. Not sure if you can do that for accounts from different countries. I wouldn't think it would be possible but let us know if it does work as that could be a very handy feature. Of course I'm not holding out any hope that it would work...
  • Reply 9 of 15
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    So no direct streaming over airplay as anticipated? You still have to log onto the same network?
  • Reply 10 of 15

seems though there is a difference,

only on a iTV 3rd generation, once you stream a video or music it seems to go direct, rather than via the router.

for sure (for me) it does not do that on a 2nd generation

• Reply 11 of 15
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    seems though there is a difference,
    only on a iTV 3rd generation, once you stream a video or music it seems to go direct, rather than via the router.
    for sure (for me) it does not do that on a 2nd generation
    I'll try on my third gen at work where we have a separate subnet for wifi than we do for Ethernet. That's where I really need direct streaming. Currently a client has to plug into the Ethernet network and log into it to see the Apple TV, which automatically cuts out all iOS devices which foolishly have no Ethernet options. If ATV allows direct streaming from a Mac or an iOS devices, then I can truly cut the cords at work, and clients don't have to transfer their media files via flash drive to a company hosted Mac. Even AirDrop will make this easier (as all clients do not arrive with their files on laptops) but currently that does not work between Macs and iOS. I'm hoping Yosemite changes that too.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

I'll try on my third gen at work where we have a separate subnet for wifi than we do for Ethernet. That's where I really need direct streaming. Currently a client has to plug into the Ethernet network and log into it to see the Apple TV, which automatically cuts out all iOS devices which foolishly have no Ethernet options. If ATV allows direct streaming from a Mac or an iOS devices, then I can truly cut the cords at work, and clients don't have to transfer their media files via flash drive to a company hosted Mac. Even AirDrop will make this easier (as all clients do not arrive with their files on laptops) but currently that does not work between Macs and iOS. I'm hoping Yosemite changes that too.

accordng to Apple - its called peer-to-peer Airplay

but from some other website, it might not work on ALL apple tv 3rd generation, only later versions of the 3rd generation

underneath the device it should say A1469

Peer-to-peer AirPlay discovery and playback.

With iOS 8, you can wirelessly connect iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch to Apple TV without first connecting to the organization’s network. Which means you can present or share your work even if you’re offline or the organization has a complex network.

• Reply 13 of 15
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Entropys View Post

No. Has to be same country.

• Reply 14 of 15
    Aaah, but which IAP to get, the $9.99 or the $99.99¿

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/49141/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Go USD9.99 first for a few months. If you find that you like it so much, go for USD99.99 thereafter.