How to start an iOS 8 Family Sharing account to share apps, music, movies & more

24

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 63
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by paxman View Post



    What would I gain from turning this into a Family Sharing account?

     

    I noticed you can't use cell phone calls handoff if you aren't signed into icloud with the same id as your itunes (enabled under Facetime preferences). Not sure if I would use it anyway. I'll be willing to bet you also won't be able to use some of the handoff features in Yosemite when it comes out later this fall.

    Also, Find My Friends doesn't allow you change the apple id anymore, you have to use your icloud id. Impacts me because my icloud ID is an email address I don't give out (and given the recent icould security issues, it seems like that may have been a good thing).

    For the moment, neither of these are enough to make me want to use the feature.

  • Reply 22 of 63
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Homie View Post



    So this looks good outside of one frequent scenario that is confusing to me.



    My daughter gets a $20 iTunes card as a gift. She wants to apply it to her account and spend $11.99 right now and saving the $8.01 to use later. Can she apply it just to her account or only the family shared account? If she applies it to the family account her little sister will use the rest for gold coins in some stupid game lol.



    Sometimes credits need to be kept separate. Is that possible?

     

     

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by iaeen View Post





    This is an excellent question, and I'm curious about the answer also. At the very least, you, as the organizer or designated parent/guardian, can set it up so that you have to approve children's purchases and just make a mental note that a certain child gets to spend $20 on whatever he or she wants. This obviously isn't the most convenient solution, but it would work.

    Store credits can be applied to an individual account, and used before the account organizers credit card.  Credits applied to the organizer account can be used by anyone in the family.

  • Reply 23 of 63

    Think i'm going to hold off on Family Sharing until perhaps 8.1.  It shows promise wrt to features but typically iOS initial releases are pretty buggy and I don't want to start mashing up Apple accounts until I know i'm landing safely. 

  • Reply 24 of 63
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member

    How does one change the iCloud account for an iPhone or iPad?  All my families devices are set up using my account and we'd like to move to 4 separate accounts (now that we can share purchases).  We updated my wife's iPad and iPhone to iOS 8 last night (using my iCloud account).  Now I can't find a way to change it to her account.  There is no delete or logout or edit option on the Settings > iCloud panel.

  • Reply 25 of 63
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by malax View Post

     

    How does one change the iCloud account for an iPhone or iPad?  All my families devices are set up using my account and we'd like to move to 4 separate accounts (now that we can share purchases).  We updated my wife's iPad and iPhone to iOS 8 last night (using my iCloud account).  Now I can't find a way to change it to her account.  There is no delete or logout or edit option on the Settings > iCloud panel.


     

    Yes, there is. It's on the bottom.

  • Reply 26 of 63
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member

    I hadn't realized how confusing this all is until I starting poking around in the settings.  There are at least 4 places where one sets an Apple ID (iCloud, iTunes, Game Center, Home Sharing).  It's very un-Apple-like to have this mess.  Hopefully family sharing will provide a way forward.  Or else, we'll just be upset because we lose stuff during this transition.  My wife will not be pleased if she loses her game progress as a result of this.

  • Reply 27 of 63
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by iaeen View Post

     

     

    Yes, there is. It's on the bottom.


    Right you are!  Thank you.

  • Reply 28 of 63
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,603member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

     

    Think i'm going to hold off on Family Sharing until perhaps 8.1.  It shows promise wrt to features but typically iOS initial releases are pretty buggy and I don't want to start mashing up Apple accounts until I know i'm landing safely. 


    I think I agree. What I REALLY would like is a family account with more options and features and an app, or web page (well designed) for administration of the account. I would like to be able to hide apps and music so the kids' old apps and music (High School Musical etc) will never again appear. I think Family Sharing is a great idea but perhaps it needs to mature a little. It would be good if the entire family could be logged into their own accounts and whenever one of us made a purchase we'd be presented with an option of two accounts for payment - our own, or the family account. 

  • Reply 29 of 63
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,603member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by malax View Post

     

    I hadn't realized how confusing this all is until I starting poking around in the settings.  There are at least 4 places where one sets an Apple ID (iCloud, iTunes, Game Center, Home Sharing).  It's very un-Apple-like to have this mess.  Hopefully family sharing will provide a way forward.  Or else, we'll just be upset because we lose stuff during this transition.  My wife will not be pleased if she loses her game progress as a result of this.


    Yes, since the beginning of iCloud I have wanted an admin page. I'd like to log on and import my family's accounts an from one page be able to see what's what. I have always found the management of iCloud accounts and Apple ID's convoluted and confusing.

  • Reply 30 of 63
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,154member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by smaffei View Post



    Check the Apple support forums. Family Sharing is not working for a lot of users (me included). And, people are accidentally locking themselves out of it for 364 days.



    This coupled with the pulling of HealthKit apps and the fact that the update takes 5 times the download size free on the device to install is showing that iOS 8 is full of FAIL!

     

    There's bound to be some initial bugs. iOS8 introduces a ton of massive under the hood changes, features, APIS, and services (3rd extensions, family sharing, iCloud Drive, healthkit, etc) . I'm not sure if Apple bit off more than it can chew at once, but I hope not. 

  • Reply 31 of 63
    auxioauxio Posts: 1,998member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smaffei View Post



    Check the Apple support forums. Family Sharing is not working for a lot of users (me included).

     

    And it is working for a lot of users (me included).

     

    Quote:

    This coupled with the pulling of HealthKit apps and the fact that the update takes 5 times the download size free on the device to install is showing that iOS 8 is full of FAIL!


     

    I installed it via iTunes to avoid the size issue.  If you update directly on your device, it needs to download the update (1 copy on device), decompress the update (2 copies on device, one of which is much larger), and then install the update (3 copies on device).  Whereas if you update via iTunes, it downloads the update to your computer (0 copies on device), decompresses the update on your computer (0 copies on device), and then installs it (1 copy on device).  Pretty straightforward.

  • Reply 32 of 63
    Just wondering out loud here, but am I the only one experiencing random instantaneous shutdowns with iOS 8 on both the iPhone and iPad? It's happened once on my iPhone 5 and 3 times on my iPad 3.
  • Reply 33 of 63
    Just wondering out loud here, but am I the only one experiencing random instantaneous shutdowns with iOS 8 on both the iPhone and iPad? It's happened once on my iPhone 5 and 3 times on my iPad 3.

    I haven't had any problems. The new keyboard is a bit wonky, but that's about it so far for me.

    Edit: It's also worth mentioning that AI is almost unusable in Safari for iPad.
  • Reply 34 of 63
    normmnormm Posts: 570member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by smaffei View Post



    Check the Apple support forums. Family Sharing is not working for a lot of users (me included). And, people are accidentally locking themselves out of it for 364 days.



    This coupled with the pulling of HealthKit apps and the fact that the update takes 5 times the download size free on the device to install is showing that iOS 8 is full of FAIL!

    Since the upgrade requires 5GB free space, it seems particularly strange that Apple currently sells the 5C as its low end model with just 8GB of total storage!  I think the marketing people and the engineers need to talk more.

  • Reply 35 of 63
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by NormM View Post

     

    Since the upgrade requires 5GB free space, it seems particularly strange that Apple currently sells the 5C as its low end model with just 8GB of total storage!  I think the marketing people and the engineers need to talk more.


    Of course if you have a computer with iTunes, you don't need 5GB free (as has been explained above), but you're right that it's going to be a less satisfying experience for people with bare-bones iPhones.  Do we know if a trip to the Genius Bar can be used as a way to upgrade one's phone?

  • Reply 36 of 63
    auxioauxio Posts: 1,998member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by malax View Post

     

    Of course if you have a computer with iTunes, you don't need 5GB free (as has been explained above), but you're right that it's going to be a less satisfying experience for people with bare-bones iPhones.  Do we know if a trip to the Genius Bar can be used as a way to upgrade one's phone?




    If you have a lot of content on your device, then the Genius Bar isn't going to help (they won't wipe your content for you).

     

    If you have everything backed up to iCloud, then you should be able to wipe your content, upgrade, and then let iCloud restore it for you.  Not the nicest upgrade experience, but it works.  Otherwise iTunes is the way to go.

  • Reply 37 of 63
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

    Family sharing question-

     

    I can see all my brothers Apps and videos- and can download them.

     

    Can I stream his videos?

  • Reply 38 of 63
    After activating "Family" on four devices, it wasn't working. I did a search and found your article that included the note "...In our tests, we had to download content %u2014 a free app did the trick %u2014 in order to view others' purchases in Apple's three online storefronts." I tried that and it started working. Thanks for the help!
  • Reply 39 of 63
    My problem with "ask to buy" is that my 8 year old still has to enter a complicated password before it sends the request to my phone! This saves me nothing.
  • Reply 40 of 63
    sflagel wrote: »
    Good point. Now I only wish that Apple could migrate Apple IDs. So that I could move all the stuff we purchased on the Family ID to my ID... Otherwise we end up with a a legacy Family ID, and individual IDs for each of us.. hm.

    I'm afraid you didn't think your solution through, clever though you may have thought it initially. When children grow up and leave home, that's where sharing an ID doesn't work. Hence Family Sharing. I hope you manage to transfer without too much pain.
Sign In or Register to comment.