Tim Cook touts new Apple privacy policies in open letter to customers

Comments

• Reply 41 of 83
    Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

It isn't, but adding anything to a private account even if it has automatic downloads switched on is overstepping the line IMO. In this case it was not a huge deal but I'm surprised it was done this way rather than just offering the album up for free. Its the principle of the act that is questionable, not the intention behind it.

Companies make mistakes regularly, the key is whether they learn from them.  Apple thought this was okay, next time, if they give music away for free again they'll do it in a more acceptable way.  Google and Facebook, on the other hand, you complain about them slowly stripping away your privacy and they basically . . . do nothing.  They'll pretend to stop sometimes, but then they come back and go about it from a different angle.  They're just relentless.

• Reply 42 of 83
    Quote:

Originally Posted by iaeen View Post

Allowing Google access to your contacts isn't about sending email. All the mail server needs is a message with "[email protected]" on the top. Giving Google access to your contacts is about using Google instead of iCloud to sync your contacts.

My question is, why would you even have a gmail account if you don't trust Google.

OK, if you wish to type in the person's email address, sure, you can disable access to contacts as well.  My question then is not why you have a gmail address (you do know that Google reads ALL of your email, don't you?), but why are you using it on an iPhone if you are really concerned about it?  Why not just use it in a browser?

Oh, and while I do have a gmail account ( and I do not trust google at all), I only use it for places that I don't want spammed in my regular account, and don't care if google reads it.

• Reply 43 of 83
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    goofy1958 wrote: »

OK, if you wish to type in the person's email address, sure, you can disable access to contacts as well.  My question then is not why you have a gmail address (you do know that Google reads ALL of your email, don't you?), but why are you using it on an iPhone if you are really concerned about it?  Why not just use it in a browser?

Oh, and while I do have a gmail account ( and I do not trust google at all), I only use it for places that I don't want spammed in my regular account, and don't care if google reads it.

I don't trust Google either, and don't use their services. My question is the same as yours.
  • Reply 44 of 83
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    tundraboy wrote: »

Companies make mistakes regularly, the key is whether they learn from them.  Apple thought this was okay, next time, if they give music away for free again they'll do it in a more acceptable way.  Google and Facebook, on the other hand, you complain about them slowly stripping away your privacy and they basically . . . do nothing.  They'll pretend to stop sometimes, but then they come back and go about it from a different angle.  They're just relentless.
    Yes, and I'm not upset about it at all, but I do think it was a mistake. The irony was that hours later Apple issued the IOS 8 upgrade which required a lot of users to throw lots of data out in order to gain enough free space for the upgrade. :\
  • Reply 45 of 83
    Amen! The difference between Apple and the likes of the shysters, i.e.. FACEBOOK, Google
    (except they are open about their business model) and the others who practice the art of deception, deceit and misrepresentation. Tim stay true to that wisdom and implement it honestly.
  • Reply 46 of 83
    Amen! The difference between Apple and the likes of the shysters, i.e.. FACEBOOK, Google
    (except they are open about their business model) and the others who practice the art of deception, deceit and misrepresentation. Tim stay true to that wisdom and implement it honestly.
  • Reply 47 of 83
    Quote:

Yes, and I'm not upset about it at all, but I do think it was a mistake. The irony was that hours later Apple issued the IOS 8 upgrade which required a lot of users to throw lots of data out in order to gain enough free space for the upgrade. image

Only if you used your iPhone/iPad for the upgrade.  This is NOT directed at you personally, but are people here really, shall we say, so technically challenged, that they don't understand how this works??????  An entirely new iOS OS is several GBs in size.  When you download it via your iPhone, the device needs to expand the compressed file in order to install the new OS.  In addition, it needs scratch space on your device in order to save everything while it's performing the upgrade.  Jeesh.  Do people not get this????  There is no way Apple can perform a complete OS upgrade without needing this much space.

If you're that concerned, then use iTunes to do the upgrade, as then the files are uncompressed on your computer, and the upgrade only needs the much smaller scratch space to do the upgrade.

• Reply 48 of 83
    Quote:

Originally Posted by iaeen View Post

I don't trust Google either, and don't use their services. My question is the same as yours.

Ahhh, OK.  Thanks for the clarification.

• Reply 49 of 83
    paxman wrote: »
    Yes, and I'm not upset about it at all, but I do think it was a mistake. The irony was that hours later Apple issued the IOS 8 upgrade which required a lot of users to throw lots of data out in order to gain enough free space for the upgrade. :\

Hours? The album was given away more than a week ago; iOS 8 came out yesterday.
  • Reply 50 of 83
    W
    leeroy wrote: »

FFS, I don't know how many times I've read this type of response. They didn't force this on anyone, it was never pushed down to devices without permission. The album was made free and available on your account, which means if you happen to have automatic downloads enabled for apps and songs etc then it would act like any other album or app and download to your device. If you had that turned off it wouldn't have. Simple. 

So to make it clear, if the album automatically downloaded to your device, it was because YOU had automatic downloads on. This was a choice by YOU. If you don't like it, THEN DELETE IT. Stop being a whining bitch.
    I'm 110% pro Apple, but to be fair, everyone turned on auto downloads not expecting other people to put stuff they didn't ask for or want in their purchased queue, so I don't buy either side of this argument. It's really no big deal, but I can see the whiny bitches' points too!
  • Reply 51 of 83
    Originally Posted by rgh71 View Post

I’m 110% pro Apple, but...

Yeesh.

...everyone turned on auto downloads not expecting other people to put stuff they didn’t ask for or want in their purchased queue...

I have auto-downloads on and it didn’t auto-download for me.

• Reply 52 of 83
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by goofy1958 View Post

Only if you used your iPhone/iPad for the upgrade.  This is NOT directed at you personally, but are people here really, shall we say, so technically challenged, that they don't understand how this works??????  An entirely new iOS OS is several GBs in size.  When you download it via your iPhone, the device needs to expand the compressed file in order to install the new OS.  In addition, it needs scratch space on your device in order to save everything while it's performing the upgrade.  Jeesh.  Do people not get this????  There is no way Apple can perform a complete OS upgrade without needing this much space.

If you're that concerned, then use iTunes to do the upgrade, as then the files are uncompressed on your computer, and the upgrade only needs the much smaller scratch space to do the upgrade.

Yes, I understand that. But we are talking about IOS which is the most, if not the only user friendly OS in the world, meaning that 99% (wild guess) of users will NOT connect their device to iTunes. In fact, the day it became possible to run an iPhone without having to connect to iTunes I was very happy. I found that connection more problematic and always lost data (Several family members with various devices could have been the reason). Even here, in geek city, many people complain about the lack of space on their IOS device so to expect the general public to connect to their computer is unrealistic, even if the solution is technically superior.

• Reply 53 of 83
    Quote:

Yes, I understand that. But we are talking about IOS which is the most, if not the only user friendly OS in the world, meaning that 99% (wild guess) of users will NOT connect their device to iTunes. In fact, the day it became possible to run an iPhone without having to connect to iTunes I was very happy. I found that connection more problematic and always lost data (Several family members with various devices could have been the reason). Even here, in geek city, many people complain about the lack of space on their IOS device so to expect the general public to connect to their computer is unrealistic, even if the solution is technically superior.

So maybe a better message on the upgrade/update screen on why it needs so much room would be helpful to a lot of users.

• Reply 54 of 83
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member

You know, I think Woz is an attention-whore and hate linking to anything he says, but looks like he's finally "back on board" with Apple based on the iPhone 6:

http://bgr.com/2014/09/18/woz-explains-why-hes-dumping-all-his-android-phones-for-the-iphone-6/

• Reply 55 of 83
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by goofy1958 View Post

Please learn how your phone works before posting stuff like this.  So exactly how are you supposed to send emails from Gmail if you don't give it access to your contacts?  Anyway, simply go to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > select your Gmail account > turn off access to anything you'd like.  Easy peesy.

Perhaps It's you who don't understand the iPhone!  I'll run through this in more detail, just for you.

Apple provided Google Gmail 3 TURNED ON permissions to access my Contacts, Calendars and Notes.

My other Email accounts only had TURNED OFF permissions for my Notes.

Fortunately I discovered this quickly as there was a Gmail error, when my contacts were about to be Emailed to Gmail.

BTW I discussed this in person with a tech person at our local Apple store. His iPhone also had the same exposure, turned on.  He was shocked!

• Reply 56 of 83
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

You know, I think Woz is an attention-whore and hate linking to anything he says, but looks like he's finally "back on board" with Apple based on the iPhone 6:

http://bgr.com/2014/09/18/woz-explains-why-hes-dumping-all-his-android-phones-for-the-iphone-6/

Really, who cares?

• Reply 57 of 83
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rgh71 View Post

W

I'm 110% pro Apple, but to be fair, everyone turned on auto downloads not expecting other people to put stuff they didn't ask for or want in their purchased queue, so I don't buy either side of this argument. It's really no big deal, but I can see the whiny bitches' points too!

Really? Is it that bad to have some songs you don't like in your iTunes account? I do understand some people didn't want it in their accounts, so just delete it if so. I really don't understand the massive negative reaction. I personally think it's rude and self righteous. It's like if grandma gave you a butt ugly shirt, they paid 100m to U2 so they could gift this album to their users... and they get slapped in the face.

The reason it wasn't just offered just as a free item to purchase is that Apple treated it as a 'Gift', they thought it would be a surprise for people to wake up and find it in their stockings ready to go. I guess Apple's mistake was misjudging U2's appeal. I doubt they will give another album for free, at least not in this way.

I'm not a fan of U2 in any regard, but I wasn't offended by receiving the album. I appreciated it and even listened to it a couple of times to see if it would grow on me. 

In regard to the negativity towards Apple in general these days, I think it's unwarranted. People still don't seem to 'get' Apple.  Yes they can make mistakes or bad judgements, but so does everyone, the difference is Apple is genuinely good intentioned. They're out to make the best quality products and experiences bar none. People don't seem to realise the passion and drive behind this. 

I think today's generation are spoilt and narcissistic. The advancements and marvels of technology are now demanded rather than revered, and quality not noticed appreciated.

I find that a shame.

• Reply 58 of 83
    leeroy wrote: »
    rgh71 wrote: »
    W

Really? Is it that bad to have some songs you don't like in your iTunes account? I do understand some people didn't want it in their accounts, so just delete it if so. I really don't understand the massive negative reaction. I personally think it's rude and self righteous. It's like if grandma gave you a butt ugly shirt, they paid 100m to U2 so they could gift this album to their users... and they get slapped in the face.

The reason it wasn't just offered just as a free item to purchase is that Apple treated it as a 'Gift', they thought it would be a surprise for people to wake up and find it in their stockings ready to go. I guess Apple's mistake was misjudging U2's appeal. I doubt they will give another album for free, at least not in this way.

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">I'm not a fan of U2 in any regard, but I wasn't offended by receiving the album. I appreciated it and even listened to it a couple of times to see if it would grow on me. </span>

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">In regard to the negativity towards Apple in general these days, I think it's unwarranted. People still don't seem to 'get' Apple.  Yes they can make mistakes or bad judgements, but so does everyone, the difference is Apple is genuinely good intentioned. They're out to make the best quality products and experiences bar none. People don't seem to realise the passion and drive behind this. </span>

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">I think today's generation are spoilt and </span>
    narcissistic. T<span style="line-height:1.4em;">he advancements and marvels of technology are now demanded rather than revered, and quality not noticed appreciated.</span>

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">I find that a shame.</span>

Imagine if Apple decided to give you an album each day for free of the music that you most detested. Your library would fill up with music you didn't want, unless you deleted the album every day.

Would you be happy with that?
  • Reply 59 of 83
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Your post is incredibly idiotic.

Imagine if Apple decided to give you an album each day for free of the music that you most detested. Your library would fill up with music you didn't want, unless you deleted the album every day.

Try and engaging a few more brain cells before spouting off a load of claptrap.

Given that it was a one off gift your scenario has little to do with reality. The only one that needs to engage more brain cells before posting is you.

And giving everyone a free album has zero to do with privacy. If they gave you an album from your favorite band then THAT would be an invasion of privacy because somehow they know what bands you like without asking you.
  • Reply 60 of 83
    nht wrote: »
    Your post is incredibly idiotic.

Try and engaging a few more brain cells before spouting off a load of claptrap.

Given that it was a one off gift your scenario has little to do with reality. The only one that needs to engage more brain cells before posting is you.

And giving everyone a free album has zero to do with privacy. If they gave you an album from your favorite band then THAT would be an invasion of privacy because somehow they know what bands you like without asking you.

Nah. It's about a thing called principle.

Look it up in a dictionary. Those are thick books - even thicker than the ?Watch! - that can be found in places called book shops.