First iPhone 6 & iPhone 6 Plus teardowns reveal high-capacity batteries, reworked innards

Comments

• Reply 21 of 65
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

Really the 6 and 6+ have an 1110 mah difference, that's like a 60% increase, really Apple couldn't make them same thickness and same battery life, or very similar with like a 2000 and a 2925 mah battery.

This is the biggest sticking point for me. I will need to see real world statistics on battery life before I commit to a model or not.

I REALLY wish they had made the iPhone 6 enclosure flush with the camera lens and used the extra space to bump up the battery capacity.

I think a lot of people will be opting for the 6+ just for the higher resolution and PPI display and increased battery when size-wise at least they would be better suited to the smaller model.

• Reply 22 of 65
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

I'm busy constantly checking the UPS app to track my iPhone 6's progress.

You do know that you can simply request auto-updates?, so that whenever there is a change in the status, you'll get an email. It works fine, I use it all of the time.

• Reply 23 of 65
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Seriously though, I despise iFixit, everything they stand for, and every PR video they produce. They rip people off for their "services", and well....just look at what they did to that 6 Plus.....they're aren't enough to go around as it is!

If that bothers you, you might not want to watch the phonebuff drop test video: 

• Reply 24 of 65
    I just love watching the tear downs! It is amazing how things are packed and the processing power it brings with it.
  • Reply 25 of 65

Originally Posted by John.B View Post

If that bothers you, you might not want to watch the phonebuff drop test video: 

But will it blend?

http://willitblend.com

• Reply 26 of 65
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

I think a lot of people will be opting for the 6+ just for the higher resolution and PPI display and increased battery when size-wise at least they would be better suited to the smaller model.

PPI means NOTHING.  That's just Samsung's gimmick along with their overclocked SOC and all the halfbaked stuff they put into their phone just so they can claim they have so and so but their phone never work quite right as Apple's lower specs that JUST WORK.

I got the iPhone 6 plus NOT because of the screen resolution or the PPI.  I got the 6 plus for the camera and screen size as well as true 1080P so the movies that I watch will be at its true resolution.  750 just doesn't work for me and having a screen over 1080P doesn't make sense either.

• Reply 27 of 65
    it's hard to get the iPhone is Tokyo - the waiting line was about 1 mile long...

• Reply 28 of 65
    slurpy wrote: »
    What a fucking feat of engineering these phones (and all Apple products) are.

Gonna head in a bit and lineup (already ordered my phone but will be fun to chat with some Apple fans)

This is the one that stuck out to me…

It's just a logic board, but no one else is putting that much effort into refining their internals. This is worlds above what we saw in an iPhone just a few years ago.

edit: For comparison, this is what you get from Samsung and Motorola in the S5 and Moto X, respectively…

700 700
  • Reply 29 of 65
    pmz wrote: »
    How incredibly pointless, considering we saw this unfold in reverse during all the leaks. :P

Seriously though, I despise iFixit, everything they stand for, and every PR video they produce. They rip people off for their "services", and well....just look at what they did to that 6 Plus.....they're aren't enough to go around as it is!

The part they don't show is: iPut it back together and sell it on eBay for 2 large this week.

That's just silly. iFixit is the goto site for repairs. Their teardown aren't just some pointless publicity stunt but go toward creating products that allow the average user repair their own device with as much information as possible.

There "services" of creating in-depth how-tos are completely free. Always have been. You also aren't required to buy any of their tools to help repair your device but if you do buy from them the prices are good.
  • Reply 30 of 65
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post

Hmm. Comments are particularly quiet tonight.

Everybody must be busy standing on line.

This is probably why:

I can now finally tell everybody that I have one that's 4.7 inches long.

Please note that my company, GTR Pty Ltd has applied for, and received, a patent for the gesture 'where a user attempts to turn his phone on or off using the old Sleep/Wake button instead of using the new position on an iPhone 6/6 Plus'.

Infringers will be pursued aggressively.

• Reply 31 of 65
    gtr wrote: »
    I can now finally tell everybody that I have one that's 4.7 inches long.

Since this post came in the mail like this:

I read that soooo the wrong way.

But yeah, patent away!
  • Reply 32 of 65
    solipsismx wrote: »
    This is the one that stuck out to me…

[image]

It's just a logic board, but no one else is putting that much effort into refining their internals. This is even worlds about what we saw in an iPhone a few years ago.

edit: For comparison, this is what you get from Samsung and Motorola in the S5 and Moto X, respectively…

[image*2]

The attention to detail is phenomenal! Just like the old days:

• Reply 33 of 65
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    What about the ram and ghz of the phone? I want that confirmed

Haven't recent benchmarks confirmed that as 1.4 Ghz and 1 GB RAM?

However, holding this in my hand right now, can I just say that ABSOLUTELY NONE OF THOSE SPECS MATTER.

This thing is beautiful.

Samsung. Are. Fucked.
  • Reply 34 of 65
    gtr wrote: »
    Haven't recent benchmarks confirmed that as 1.4 Ghz and 1 GB RAM?

I always wait for AnandTech's review before getting those specs. Since AnandTech seems to get them with other reviews now hopefully their have all their tested done by next week.
    Samsung. Are. Fucked.

I think it's likely Samsung (and others) will continue to suffer massive losses on their high end, something that was shrinking this past year already. Was that on mere rumours of a larger iPhone, a saturation of Android-based smartphone high-end, or other vendors stealing their customers. Regardless, I don't see how it gets better for any of them.
  • Reply 35 of 65
    Nice
  • Reply 36 of 65
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I always wait for AnandTech's review before getting those specs. Since AnandTech seems to get them with other reviews now hopefully their have all their tested done by next week.

I think it's likely Samsung (and others) will continue to suffer massive losses on their high end, something that was shrinking this past year already. Was that on mere rumours of a larger iPhone, a saturation of Android-based smartphone high-end, or other vendors stealing their customers. Regardless, I don't see how it gets better for any of them.

All signs point to Samsung continuing on a downhill spiral this point forward, a least with premium phones. They peaked with the S4. While they were smugly mocking Apple and shitting out more plastic gimmicks, Apple was quietly working behind the scenes on game-changing hardware (touch ID, 64bit processing, motion processors, etc), software (healthkit, homekit, extensibility, massive improvements to iOS), and services (Apple Pay, etc), and now that the planets have aligned and the puzzle pieces are in place, Samsung cannot compete with any of this. All they have left is a stylus, gimmicks, and a horrendous skin on top of Android. 

But don't worry, Fandroids can always point to "marketshare", based on all the $50-$100 Android "smartphones" that are being sold. 

• Reply 37 of 65

the iPhone 6 feels best in my hand. It's thin, elegant, performs really well, and has many of the features I need. But it lacks extra battery life and optical image stabilization, which I care about.I even bought a nice case for Iphone 6.If anyone want a case for Ihone 6 or other phones,I share this link to help you,and you can buy cases at a discount of 10% if you use the coupon  code:CCBONUS10 when you are paying an order,not ending date.   http://www.casecoco.com/?031

• Reply 38 of 65
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post

Eager to see these. My problem is iFixit "whining" about how "difficult" do-it-yourself repairs are.

Sheesh! I mean; one day, theses phones are going to be just a single slab of transparent crystal "grown" in a Petri dish. And they'll give it a negative score on "user repairability".

I'm sure the 1946 ENIAC, full of user-servicable vacuum tubes and wires, gave iFixit a DIY-repair orgasm.

• Reply 39 of 65
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Really the 6 and 6+ have an 1110 mah difference, that's like a 60% increase, really Apple couldn't make them same thickness and same battery life, or very similar with like a 2000 and a 2925 mah battery.

Why would you want such a silly thing? Batteries are all about area, the + has more area for the battery and thus can store more energy. You are basically asking Apple to compromise one design for no good reason.
  • Reply 40 of 65
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I'm sure the 1946 ENIAC, full of user-servicable vacuum tubes and wires, gave iFixit a DIY-repair orgasm.

There is something to be said for electronics that can also double as space heaters. I use to have an very old Tektronix O'Scope that was all tube based. Talk about heavy. Kept you toasty while working on whatever.