First iPhone 6 & iPhone 6 Plus teardowns reveal high-capacity batteries, reworked innards

Comments

• Reply 41 of 65
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

There is something to be said for electronics that can also double as space heaters. I use to have an very old Tektronix O'Scope that was all tube based. Talk about heavy. Kept you toasty while working on whatever.

Reminds me of my old Quad G5 PowerMac -  " the room heater " as I called it. 

I kept the radiator turned off in my room in the winter as the G5 kicked out enough warm air to keep it comfy in the evenings....

• Reply 42 of 65

We couldn't expect a company that's in the repair business to just simply say "AWESOME" now could we. They would love lots of little screws and stuff to make their lives easier, but that wasn't Apple's intent.

• Reply 43 of 65
    dunks wrote: »
    This is the biggest sticking point for me. I will need to see real world statistics on battery life before I commit to a model or not.

I REALLY wish they had made the iPhone 6 enclosure flush with the camera lens and used the extra space to bump up the battery capacity.

I think a lot of people will be opting for the 6+ just for the higher resolution and PPI display and increased battery when size-wise at least they would be better suited to the smaller model.

You might want to take a look at this review from a notable professional photographer first... before continuing down-hill with your wishes and predictions.

Full review - GREAT video and Pictures - also professionally compared to 5S side-by-side
    http://austinmann.com/trek/iphone-6-plus-camera-review-iceland

The "main" video... but don't miss the shorts on the blog above.
    [VIDEO]
  • Reply 44 of 65
    gtr wrote: »
    I can now finally tell everybody that I have one that's 4.7 inches long.

1) Please don't tell that to 'everybody'.

2) I guess the compass app on that new iPhone laying there now shows this?

• Reply 45 of 65
  • Reply 46 of 65
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member

No Samsung parts...

Ouch! That's gotta hurt.

No wonder Samsung's ad campaign has picked up - not only are they going to lose phone sales, they lost component sales as well. These new iPhones are a lose-lose for Samsung

• Reply 47 of 65
    Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Please note that my company, GTR Pty Ltd has applied for, and received, a patent for the gesture 'where a user attempts to turn his phone on or off using the old Sleep/Wake button instead of using the new position on an iPhone 6/6 Plus'.

Yeah, that makes me mad to no end.

• Reply 48 of 65
    Quote:

Originally Posted by blandersonsf View Post

What about the ram and ghz of the phone? I want that confirmed

I'm just wondering why you care so much? Its not like the 5C or 5S was slow or anything, even running iOS 8. There's a reason why Apple never gives you the specs of the phone because it doesn't really matter. 

• Reply 49 of 65
    zeromeus wrote: »
    I got the 6 plus for the camera and screen size as well as true 1080P so the movies that I watch will be at its true resolution.  750 just doesn't work for me and having a screen over 1080P doesn't make sense either.

That makes zero sense; you can't see the individual pixels on the smaller screen anyway.
  • Reply 50 of 65
    Who manufactured the A8?
  • Reply 51 of 65
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

That makes zero sense...

Well, he is zeromeus.

• Reply 52 of 65
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

No Samsung parts...

Ouch! That's gotta hurt.

No wonder Samsung's ad campaign has picked up - not only are they going to lose phone sales, they lost component sales as well. These new iPhones are a lose-lose for Samsung

Except for the A8 and the DRAM, yeah.

• Reply 53 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Well, he is zeromeus.

Hey, stike vomit, why not just NOT post? Thanks in advance.

Can't take a Joke? Just stop me then. Oh, wait. You can't anymore.

• Reply 54 of 65
    philboogie wrote: »
    zeromeus wrote: »
    I got the 6 plus for the camera and screen size as well as true 1080P so the movies that I watch will be at its true resolution.  750 just doesn't work for me and having a screen over 1080P doesn't make sense either.

That makes zero sense; you can't see the individual pixels on the smaller screen anyway.

It's not about seeing the pixels, it's about the arithmetic of scaling: The round-off error involved, and how many pixels are displayed as-is vs. calculated. Native resolution is always best, but failing that, the largest common divisors should be small, like 1080/720 is 3/2. 750 lines is going to be horrendous for any standard video format: in particular, 750/1080 is 125/180! The artifacts due to this will be noticeable, rest assured.
  • Reply 55 of 65
    Originally Posted by stike vomit View Post

Can't take a Joke?

I’m glad to see that we’re in agreement about you, at least.

• Reply 56 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

An article on 9to5Mac says that the A8 is from TSMC.

• Reply 57 of 65
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

The A8 is fabricated by TSMC and the DRAM by Hynix and Elpida.

So, as I stated earlier... no Samsung parts

• Reply 58 of 65
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    formosa wrote: »
    An article on 9to5Mac says that the A8 is from TSMC.

Yah

"Latest news from @Chipworks: The A8 processor was fabricated at TSMC and uses a 20 nm CMOS manufacturing process."

https://mobile.twitter.com/ifixit/status/513035449913593856
  • Reply 59 of 65
    Nice fingernails, Chinese Dracula!
  • Reply 60 of 65
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Why would you want such a silly thing? Batteries are all about area, the + has more area for the battery and thus can store more energy. You are basically asking Apple to compromise one design for no good reason.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

The A8 is fabricated by TSMC and the DRAM by Hynix and Elpida.

So, as I stated earlier... no Samsung parts

You were right.