Hands on: unboxing and sizing up Apple's new iPhone 6 & 6 Plus

Comments

• Reply 41 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Look, could you do us all a favor and never post again?

I miss the old "shut up and go away"...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by potatoman View Post

- box rant -

BOX AESTHETICS OMG¡¡¡

• Reply 42 of 128
    Am I the only one to think Dan was a hot model or just the only on to admit it? Dan made the new phones sexier than Apple could have.
  • Reply 43 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Well after a few hours use I can honestly say that I love the phone, but wish it was 4" or smaller. The reachability option does work, but let's face it, it is a workaround.

It's a shame, short of the size it's the perfect phone.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BuddyRevell View Post

I don't agree with this obsession with thinness. If a phone is too thin, it's actually less comfortable in hand than a slightly thicker phone. My 5S was far more comfortable in the right case or bumper which added some rounded edges and thickness than it was without one.

Am playing with a 6 inside an Apple leather case and it feels about right. Bit like a 5s that's been rolled flat. Amazing what a difference that bump in screen real estate makes though, a much better experience. Definitely a keeper.

• Reply 44 of 128

"Seems that the function-set of a smartphone has more or less been finalized and that we can't expect too much more to come in the next couple of years" 

This reminds me of claims in the late 1800's when the industrial revolution had peaked and people actually considered closing the patent office because "nothing new could possibly be left to invent". Some people will never have any vision. 

• Reply 45 of 128
    jungmark wrote: »
    gatorguy wrote: »
    BTW, your new tactic of embedding your comments within another posters quotes should be pretty effective if your intent is to thwart members from looking up your statements on various subjects or easily respond. It would be quite a creative and sneaky way to avoid accepting ownership of opinions by hiding them from future searches.

Of course I'm not saying that's why you do it. It is an abnormal way for a forum member to respond to another's comments, and something you only recently started, so no doubt there's some reason for you to do so.

Perhaps it's easier to comment within one quote rather than splitting it several times to make a comment.

They read perfectly fine for me. And if he uses a word I remember which stood out because I haven't read it often the search function will find it anyway.Plus you can simply search for his name with a simple Cmd-F or view all his posts.
  • Reply 46 of 128
    Quote:

Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Around 300 queuing here in Cardiff, whilst 10 including me in the reserved line.

Seriously, if you wanted an iPhone 6 so badly why didn't you get out of bed and preorder one last week?

It just beggars belief!

For me, it was wanting to actually hold them in my hand before decided which one to get.  I've had my 4 for four years now, I can wait a little while in line to make sure I get the right one for me.

• Reply 47 of 128
    I note that the iPhone 5 and iPhone 6 appear to have the same size home screen icons, while the 6 appears to have slightly larger icons; which makes sense if the 6 and 6 are to have the same number of rows (1 more than the 5).

Does this proportionality hold across the included apps?
    I ask because as I grow older my eyes struggle to adjust to smaller type, though less so under OS 8 than 7 when using the type size adjustment features. Especially when viewing maps app on the dash of my vehicle; I use a Scosche magnetic mount, which is perfect for my iPhone 5, right now.

If the 6 type size is proportionally larger than the 5&6 models, then that would be a great boon for us who have progressed beyond the age of thirty and could use the extra boost in visual acuity without a loss of screen real estate.

If true, I would bet Larry Ellison, at age 70, would love the 6 .
  • Reply 48 of 128

Nice video. The best 'does it fit in pockets' one I've seen. Helps that it's snark-free.

Makes me even more confident that the Plus is for me.

• Reply 49 of 128
    Two takeaways from the video:

1) The 6 Plus is not as bulky as I thought it would be
    2) that dude has a lot of jackets lol
  • Reply 50 of 128
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    philboogie wrote: »
    They read perfectly fine for me. And if he uses a word I remember which stood out because I haven't read it often the search function will find it anyway.Plus you can simply search for his name with a simple Cmd-F or view all his posts.

Try it. In post#10 he used the word "continuity" . It would appear as tho Taniwha used it.
    philboogie wrote: »

Pull up his name and look for "All Posts". The ones where he posted within the OP's quote won't show he said anything at all.
  • Reply 51 of 128
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member

This has convinced me that the 6 is the way to go. On the other hand...... more battery life. 

I am confused.

• Reply 52 of 128
    I think that the competition is shaking in their boots about the iPhone 6 -- hell, they haven't caught up with the year-old 5S ...

Reminds me how the indians must of felt in my favorite Basque Western movie -- where the Basques descended on the raiding indians by trampolining down the steep canyon walls while yelling a high-piched way cry ... Must've scared the bejesus out of 'em:

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 53 of 128

I recall a bunch of scaremongering a few months back that Apple was going to force a new standard of headphone jack on users, in the iPhone 6. So I'll point out that it has not happened.  

• Reply 54 of 128
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I think that the competition is shaking in their boots about the iPhone 6 -- hell, they haven't caught up with the year-old 5S ...

Reminds me how the indians must of felt in my favorite Basque Western movie -- where the Basques descended on the raiding indians by trampolining down the steep canyon walls while yelling a high-piched way cry ... Must've scared the bejesus out of 'em:

Hilarious.  It's a real stretch to bring that into this thread, but it was worth it.  They don't make movies like they used to (thank goodness).

• Reply 55 of 128
    I recall a bunch of scaremongering a few months back that Apple was going to force a new standard of headphone jack on users, in the iPhone 6. So I'll point out that it has not happened.  

You're right. Time to revisit all of the moronic rumors and alleged insider knowledge pre-announcement. Hello, Ming Chi Kuo?
  • Reply 56 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

I think the 6 will be okay, it's a little large but not bad. The top bezel is the only part that shows, really. The Plus is ridiculous in most aspects. I was tempted by it until I got that mockup ready, then realized that one-handed texting would be completely out, and that it really didn't fit in my pockets.

One handed text means you have something in the other hand, like an infant, or a bag of groceries, which means you are probably on your feet, on the go. Let's hope you are not texting while driving. If you absolutely have to text in that situation why not just invoke Siri and have her send the text?

• Reply 57 of 128
    Originally Posted by ibeam View Post

One handed text means you have something in the other hand, like an infant, or a bag of groceries, which means you are probably on your feet, on the go. Let's hope you are not texting while driving. If you absolutely have to text in that situation why not just invoke Siri and have her send the text?

So your implication is that if you don’t have the fullness of your being to dedicate to your phone for any given use you shouldn’t be using it at all? :no:

• Reply 58 of 128
    Well, at least now we know sog35 is a pure troll. Now he can't wait to get his 5.5", while for the last months he's been assuring everybody he had no interest in a ridiculous phablet personally—he was thinking of the huge market Apple was missing. (Like 10% and shrinking of Samsung's sales, but whatever....)
  • Reply 59 of 128
    I got up before midnight PST and finally preordered 2 iP 6s about 2:45 AM.

The 6, for my daughter, shipped on the 18th -- from Ontario, CA, to West Sacramento to Oakley -- out for delivery.

It took a day and a half to get to the Bay Area from Ontario (International Airport 60 mies West of LA). It's less than a half-hour flight ... and BORING tracking.

The 6+, for my granddaughter (camera buff) shipped this AM from ZhengZhou, China. It's scheduled to arrive on the 25th -- a full week ahead of the forecast. And, I'll be glued to the tracking -- to the coast of China, to Anchorage, to Oakland (or Memphis, then Oakland) ... now, that's what I call tracking!
  • Reply 60 of 128
    Well, at least now we know sog35 is a pure troll. Now he can't wait to get his 5.5", while for the last months he's been assuring everybody he had no interest in a ridiculous phablet personally—he was thinking of the huge market Apple was missing. (Like 10% and shrinking of Samsung's sales, but whatever....)

Really?! I thought he was the one repeatedly saying it existed without being able to supply any proof to his assertion. I don't recall his position on whether he wanted one or not but usually when poster keeps posting a speculative claim as unwavering fact using circumstantial evidence they tent to want it, at least from my experience.