Canadians buying from AppleStore?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hey all you Canucks, have any of you ordered stuff from the US AppleStore?

There are some great deals (Special Deals section). I could have it sent to my brother in the U.S. and have him send it to me.

Does anyone know if one would need to pay duty/taxes if the item is labelled as a gift?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Apple Store US can't ship to Canada.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    That's why he's going to ship it to his brother in the US, Leonis.

I'm not too sure about the duty thing - I have sent lots of computers to the US with Canada Post and never had that charged, but I'm not too sure about coming into Canada.

You can't really lie about it's contents to avoid charges either, because you'll want it insured for full value obviously... sorry I can't be of more help. I'm sure another Canuck will chime in soon enough.

Too bad you can't just order from there and ship it up though - damn Canadian Apple Store never has good deals like that.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Thanks Murbot,

Yeah we Canadians always seem to be like second class customers to Apple.

Apple Canada here in Markham is really a joke. They've been downsized to a skeleton staff.

I did some checking regarding duty. It looks like I'll have to pay duty (although I couldn't find the exact %). Plus GST and PST of course.

Hmmm...the deal doesn't look that good any more.

One last option is to maybe pickup the laptop at my brothers' and then say I had it all along when I come back across the border.

Wait... the travelling costs will bring the total to more than a new one!

Oh well.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Duties, AND provincial and federal tax? Are you sure?

I mean, if your brother was giving you his old computer for your birthday ( ), you would have to pay all that tax? Seems a bit odd...

Call whoever you did again and give them a different scenario.

I can't see you having to pay duties and taxes on a gift from a family member. Brutal!
  • Reply 5 of 5
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Okay here's the scoop.

My brother can send his "used" laptop to me and mark on the package the estimated value and that it's a gift.

It would then be subject only to PST and GST less $60 (the exemption price for a gift).

There are however no duties.

If the estimated value seems too low, customs will open it up and check it.

So, what do you think a "used" Ti500 is worth?...$1200 US?