Siri partners with Shazam to recognize songs in iOS 8

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2014
Users running iOS 8 on their iPhone, iPad or iPod touch can now ask Siri to listen to what song is currently playing and will identify it via Shazam, and also offer users a link to buy the track from the iTunes Store.

Since Wednesday's launch of iOS 8, Apple appears to have flipped the switch on the new Shazam-powered song recognition feature. Earlier in the week, the cloud-based function was not yet available.

But as of Friday, users can now ask Siri to identify the song playing, and the voice-driven personal assistant will attempt to recognize it. Siri responds to inquiries such as "What song is this?", "What is currently playing?", and even, as noted by The Loop, the command "Name that tune."

Siri responds to the inquiries with her usual humorous style, with a variety of responses possible. In our tests, she said one of the songs always gets stuck in her head.

Of course, this functionality also works with the new "Hey Siri" handsfree mode available in iOS 8, allowing users to invoke the feature without touching their iPhone or iPad as long as it is plugged in to external power.

Also since Wednesday's launch of iOS 8, Apple has also enabled from its servers the ability to respond to HomeKit-related commands. If a user doesn't have any compatible apps or connected accessories available, Siri lets them know that the capabilities will work once their home is appropriately equipped.

Friday also happens to be "International Talk Like a Pirate Day," and, aye, Siri even recognizes this holiday.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    I chuckled when Siri responded with the songname, followed by a "just don't ask me to sing it". Oh Siri, you start to [I]grow[/I] on me. And every time I put you away, I am even 'more happy' to see you.
  • Reply 2 of 31

…but…but…I can't do that!:\

• Reply 3 of 31
    "Hey Siri" ??  What is this, Google?

Hopefully you can just press the button and say "what is this song".  
  • Reply 4 of 31

Friday also happens to be "International Talk Like a Pirate Day," and, aye, Siri even recognizes this holiday.

“YAR HAR, FIDDLE DEE DEE

BEING A PIRATE IS NOT FINE WITH ME

BUY ALL YOUR MUSIC OR SUFFER SCURVY

YOU’RE NOT A PIRATE!”

Originally Posted by Conrail View Post

Yes... “Hey, Siri” is the hands-free way to contact her.

• Reply 5 of 31
    Ahoy there matey!
    What's a pirate's favorite letter o' the alphabet?
    Rrrrrrr?
    No.
    It's the C!
  • Reply 6 of 31
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Apple buy Shazam already!!
  • Reply 7 of 31
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Conrail View Post

"Hey Siri" ??  What is this, Google?

Hopefully you can just press the button and say "what is this song".  

i know reading the article to completion is difficult and all, so here ya go:

"Of course, this functionality also works with the new "Hey Siri" handsfree mode available in iOS 8, allowing users to invoke the feature without touching their iPhone or iPad as long as it is plugged in to external power."

• Reply 8 of 31
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cali View Post

Apple buy Shazam already!!

for what purpose? what value would owning them give apple that licensing their service (maybe? who's paying who...) wouldnt?

• Reply 9 of 31

I am surprised that they are using Shazam for this. Google Now and Cortana use integrated recognition for songs.

At any rate, it's very handy functionality. When I'm in the car, asking the phone what I'm listening to can be super handy.

• Reply 10 of 31
    It would be a LOT more useful if it also tagged the song in Shazam. Maybe an extension can handle that.
  • Reply 11 of 31
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    for what purpose? what value would owning them give apple that licensing their service (maybe? who's paying who...) wouldnt?

I see what you're saying but Apple doesn't always buy tech just to profit off of. it's integrating great bits and pieces.

1. I read an article where Shazam on iPhone redirects to Spotify if you ask to hear it AFTER asking Siri what song is playing. Ironic.

Maybe Apple has fixed this but either way you can see the fragmentation.

2. It's good technology and forward thinking. The television show recognition is genius. Oh and the commercial Shazaming for contests etc. is cool and is free advertising. Adding this tech to Apple will give them more freedom to play with it and integrate tighter on iPhone.
    I am surprised that they are using Shazam for this. Google Now and Cortana use integrated recognition for songs.

And as far as I know Shazam is the most advanced.

3. Because Apple can then pull one of the most popular apps on android because I don't wanna make fandroids happy. Kind of how Giggle did to Apple by buying nest and others but this would hurt 100x more.

There's so many more reasons. but there's a few good ones that I think would justify a purchase.
  • Reply 12 of 31
    If you have Shazam installed you can launch it by tapping the Shazam logo after Siri has identified the song. This will tag the song in Shazam without Shazam needing to listen again.

Would be handy if Siri tagged the song without having to launch the Shazam App though.
  • Reply 13 of 31
    You can also just say "Shazam"
  • Reply 14 of 31
    j1h15233 wrote: »
    It would be a LOT more useful if it also tagged the song in Shazam. Maybe an extension can handle that.

Which is why I wish Apple would acquire this company. Will give Apple access to programming and Tighter integration.

Might actually help iTunes sales a little.
  • Reply 15 of 31
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    i know reading the article to completion is difficult and all, so here ya go:

"Of course, this functionality also works with the new "Hey Siri" <a href="http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/09/17/how-to-enable-and-use-hey-siri-handsfree-mode-in-ios-8" style="border-style:none;" target="_blank">handsfree mode</a>
     available in iOS 8, allowing users to invoke the feature without touching their iPhone or iPad as long as it is plugged in to external power."

You might not realize Android's Google Now invoked with "OK Google" does the same, no need to touch the phone whether connected to power or not. There's fewer and fewer features unique to each platform. That's perhaps the reason Tim Cook has increasingly concentrated on privacy as a potential differentiator.
  • Reply 16 of 31
    lolliver wrote: »

Would be handy if Siri tagged the song without having to launch the Shazam App though.

Agree.

Would also be cool if you can access your tagged songs without having Shazam downloaded.

You can ask something like:
    "Siri what songs have you identified"
    or
    "Siri what song did I wanna know about yesterday?"
  • Reply 17 of 31

Siri partners with Shazam!

Leaked tape goes viral.

Press scrutinizes Apple security.

Oh, wait.

• Reply 18 of 31
    I have no idea what is going on in this thread.
  • Reply 19 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cali View Post

I see what you're saying but Apple doesn't always buy tech just to profit off of. it's integrating great bits and pieces.

1. I read an article where Shazam on iPhone redirects to Spotify if you ask to hear it AFTER asking Siri what song is playing. Ironic.

Maybe Apple has fixed this but either way you can see the fragmentation.

2. It's good technology and forward thinking. The television show recognition is genius. Oh and the commercial Shazaming for contests etc. is cool and is free advertising. Adding this tech to Apple will give them more freedom to play with it and integrate tighter on iPhone.

And as far as I know Shazam is the most advanced.

3. Because Apple can then pull one of the most popular apps on android because I don't wanna make fandroids happy. Kind of how Giggle did to Apple by buying nest and others but this would hurt 100x more.

There's so many more reasons. but there's a few good ones that I think would justify a purchase.

Nobody on Android or Windows phone is using Shazam. Apple wouldn't hurt anybody by pulling it off another platform. It's been outclassed on those platforms because of native integration and access to services. Shazam had a great idea, but the idea is a commodity now. In the mobile app world, you get 6-12 months before you're overrun with good competition. Google Now recognizes TV just fine too.

I've been able to use "Ok Google, what's this song?" for over a year. Before the integration into Now, Google's app ran in a widget, so it was still just a single tap from the home screen, and you didn't have to start another app for it. At that point, I was over Shazam, but I wouldn't be surprised to hear that it could run in a widget too at some point.

• Reply 20 of 31
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    But how will Siri hear you ask above a loud song?
    She can't even hear over NYC street traffic without given me directions to Kalamazoo.
    I prefer to push a button natively.