Tim Cook unlocks the doors at Apple's Palo Alto store to kick off iPhone 6 sales

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2014
As he has done in years past, Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook was on-hand at his local Apple Store in Palo Alto, Calif., on Friday to help kick off sales of the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, as well as take pictures and joke around with fans [updated with more pics].

Photo via Martyn Williams.

Cook participated in the local store's team meeting before doors opened at 8 a.m. And the CEO even took it upon himself to unlock the doors and allow the first customers in as the latest iPhones went on sale.

AppleInsider reader Benjamin was there and also saw Apple executive Eddy Cue at the store. He sent along pictures with both.

Photos courtesy of AppleInsider reader Benjamin.

While talking to customers in line, Cook reportedly joked that he got his iPhone 6 "several months ago."

Another person took a picture with Cook using a Samsung phone, to which the CEO joked that they needed to buy a new phone. The customer indicated that they were waiting to buy an iPhone 6, and Cook told them that they would "have a lot better phone in a few minutes."

While Cook was onhand in the U.S., Apple retail chief Angela Ahrendts flew down under to Australia where iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus sales began yesterday. Ahrendts was present when sales began at Apple's flagship Sydney location.

Preorders for both new iPhones reached 4 million units in their first 24 hours of availability. Apple's all-time record is 9 million iPhone sales in the first three days, reached last year for the launch weekend of the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c.

Photo via Mariel Myers.

Analysts on Wall Street generally expect that Apple will be able to exceed that number, and potentially top 10 million units, with the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus if the company can meet up with demand.

Gene Munster of Piper Jaffray surveyed the line at Apple's Fifth Avenue store in New York City and found that 1,880 people were waiting -- a 33 percent increase over last year's debut of the iPhone 5s and iPhone 5c.

And Maynard Um of Wells Fargo Securities conducted a survey of early iPhone buyers at locations in New York, and found that more customers are opting for higher capacity 64- and 128-gigabyte models than in previous launch surveys. Of those who were polled, 67 percent said they planned to buy the iPhone 6 Plus, which carries a $100 premium over the iPhone 6.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    Boom!
  • Reply 2 of 39
    Not sure whether New York stores represent a good sample for US or the world as a whole, but it is interesting to see people leaning towards 6 Plus and higher storage capacity configurations. If that holds for the general case, that may help Apple's ASP.
  • Reply 3 of 39
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    I'vee been seeing interviews and reading emails and hearing about Tim Cook non stop. Has he slept since Sept. 9?

Seeing Cook out with the fans is a reminder just how cool this company is.
  • Reply 4 of 39
    But..But... Samsung
  • Reply 5 of 39
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jinglesthula View Post

Not sure whether New York stores represent a good sample for US or the world as a whole, but it is interesting to see people leaning towards 6 Plus and higher storage capacity configurations. If that holds for the general case, that may help Apple's ASP.

Fifth Ave. is a higher end venue but then Apple places most of it's stores in such places so it may represent at least the in-store customer..

• Reply 6 of 39
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cali View Post

I'vee been seeing interviews and reading emails and hearing about Tim Cook non stop. Has he slept since Sept. 9?

I think it's cool in a different more approachable way. Jobs was a rockstar and would never have done that. That is cool.

But Cook is cool on a more personal level if that's possible. He seems approachable and that makes Apple more approachable. That is also cool.

• Reply 7 of 39
    Jinglesthula, I pre-ordered the iPhone 6 plus with 128gb. All my friends who are upgrading are upgrading to the iPhone 6 plus but most are going with the 64gb. For my wife, she wanted the 6 in 64gb.
  • Reply 8 of 39
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dnd0ps View Post

But..But... Samsung

They can only dream of something like this. Same goes for Microsoft. It will be very hard to spin this launch into a negative but there are those are working feverishly to do just that.

• Reply 9 of 39
    wigby wrote: »
    cali wrote: »

I think it's cool in a different more approachable way. Jobs was a rockstar and would never have done that. That is cool.

But Cook is cool on a more personal level if that's possible. He seems approachable and that makes Apple more approachable. That is also cool.

I think that Tim Cook has made Apple fun again!
  • Reply 10 of 39
    I preordered as soon as I could get in the site last week and ended up with a delivery of 30th sept. My friend got into the site 2 mins earlier and got launch day and then my wife a few minutes later got 17th oct! All 128gb plus.

2 days ago my delivery moved up to 26th and then this morning I got a text moving to 23rd.....then this afternoon got an update to say great news I will get tomorrow! Now that's mad......I've had shipment days improve before but not like this....must be down to the sheer volume.

This is in the UK btw. My friend asked the UPS guy how many iPhones he was delivering in Birmingham today...the answer was 4000! With plenty more on the way.
  • Reply 11 of 39
    When you buy a new luxury item you are buying memories... Meeting tim cook or steve jobs is liable to make folks a customer for life if that experience is exciting...
  • Reply 12 of 39
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

"Tim Cook unlocks the doors at Apple's Palo Alto store to kick off iPhone 6 sales"

I guess someone called in 'sick'.

• Reply 13 of 39
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

"Tim Cook unlocks the doors at Apple's Palo Alto store to kick off iPhone 6 sales"

I guess someone called in 'sick'.

Waiting in line to get a phone....

• Reply 14 of 39
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by virtua View Post

2 days ago my delivery moved up to 26th and then this morning I got a text moving to 23rd.....then this afternoon got an update to say great news I will get tomorrow! Now that's mad......I've had shipment days improve before but not like this....must be down to the sheer volume.

Haven't seen much improvement in the US on ship dates - our 6plus 128gb was slated to "deliver by 10/28", but later orders showed delivery on 11/4 (this is with Verizon).

Today they say they'll "ship on 10/31", so probably not an improvement…yet.

Sure hope we start to see sliding here too, but, knowing the business mentality here in the US (probably everywhere),

if they think they are getting ahead on stock, they'll put it into retail, since they already know they have the pre-orders locked in.

• Reply 15 of 39

Even as Rockstar, Steve Jobs would appear at the Palo Alto store during product launches and mingle with fans. Just search the archive.

• Reply 16 of 39

Tim, dude, where is your Apple Store Employee Polo Shirt?... its a company rule when working at the store - all employees must wear approved clothing / uniforms!!!   /s

• Reply 17 of 39
    boeyc15 wrote: »

Tim, dude, where is your Apple Store Employee Polo Shirt?... its a company rule when working at the store - all employees must wear approved clothing / uniforms!!!   /s

He has the CEO black shirt on :p
  • Reply 18 of 39
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

They can only dream of something like this. Same goes for Microsoft. It will be very hard to spin this launch into a negative but there are those are working feverishly to do just that.

Haters are gonna hate, but this is by far the best iPhone ever made  Normal screen size and an iPhablet for those who like plus sizes (hooray for options!), widgets, 3rd party keyboards, improved camera, improved notification bar, improved quick settings, apps being allowed to communicate with each other, battery stats, etc.  It's still missing an IR Blaster which is a big must for me, but this generation of iPhone is a huge step forward for Apple and iPhone users.

• Reply 19 of 39
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    67% is kind of high for the Plus. Obviously it's not scientific. But I can see users go for 64 GB more than the 16 GB. I did the same.
  • Reply 20 of 39
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    droidftw wrote: »

Haters are gonna hate, but this is by far the best iPhone ever made  Normal screen size and an iPhablet for those who like plus sizes (hooray for options!), widgets, 3rd party keyboards, improved camera, improved notification bar, improved quick settings, apps being allowed to communicate with each other, battery stats, etc.  It's still missing an IR Blaster which is a big must for me, but this generation of iPhone is a huge step forward for Apple and iPhone users.

Every year has the best iPhone ever made.