Hands on: unboxing and sizing up Apple's new iPhone 6 & 6 Plus

Comments

• Reply 61 of 128
    I got up before midnight PST and finally preordered 2 iP 6s about 2:45 AM.

The 6, for my daughter, shipped on the 18th -- from Ontario, CA, to West Sacramento to Oakley -- out for delivery.

It took a day and a half to get to the Bay Area from Ontario (International Airport 60 mies West of LA). It's less than a half-hour flight ... and BORING tracking.

The 6+, for my granddaughter (camera buff) shipped this AM from ZhengZhou, China. It's scheduled to arrive on the 25th -- a full week ahead of the forecast. And, I'll be glued to the tracking -- to the coast of China, to Anchorage, to Oakland (or Memphis, then Oakland) ... now, that's what I call tracking!

My store is typically only has a dozen or two people queueing up but today it's a good 250 to 300. The local college starts up next week, but these coincide with each other each year. My guess is this iPhone release will break all sorts of new records.

When the store opens at 10am I'll go inside to check them out. If the 6+ can pass all my tests then I may get it. If not, then the other. I'm definitely going with 64GB, and likely going with Space [@]Marvin[/@] Grey but the latter could change to Silver upon seeing them.

I'm also going to give T-Mobile a go this time around. Voice calls are just too frustratingly bad. I don't even make many phone calls but AT&T just sucks out here still. No LTE, but T-Mo's map shows massive LTE coverage. Perhaps that's part of the spectrum deal when their feel through.

Whatever I choose I'll order online and wait for it to get shipped directly to my home.
  • Reply 62 of 128
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Really?! I thought he was the one repeatedly saying it existed without being able to supply any proof to his assertion. I don't recall his position on whether he wanted one or not but usually when poster keeps posting a speculative claim as unwavering fact using circumstantial evidence they tent to want it, at least from my experience.

I distinctly remember [@]sog35[/@] saying that he wasn't interested in owning one. His whole shtick was that this or that was proof, and that Samsung was going down.
  • Reply 63 of 128
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    I think that the competition is shaking in their boots about the iPhone 6 -- hell, they haven't caught up with the year-old 5S ...

Reminds me how the indians must of felt in my favorite Basque Western movie -- where the Basques descended on the raiding indians by trampolining down the steep canyon walls while yelling a high-piched way cry ... Must've scared the bejesus out of 'em:

[VIDEO]

I think the competition feels more like Jeff Chandler, getting kicked and kneed repeatedly in the nuts.
  • Reply 64 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So your implication is that if you don’t have the fullness of your being to dedicate to your phone for any given use you shouldn’t be using it at all? :no:

No, my implication was that it is easier therefore smarter. I sent ten texts last night with a glass of wine in hand while relaxing on the patio. Siri made only one minor typo which was a lot better than I would have done especially one handed. It was absolutely effortless.

• Reply 65 of 128
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I got up before midnight PST and finally preordered 2 iP 6s about 2:45 AM.

The 6, for my daughter, shipped on the 18th -- from Ontario, CA, to West Sacramento to Oakley -- out for delivery.

It took a day and a half to get to the Bay Area from Ontario (International Airport 60 mies West of LA). It's less than a half-hour flight ... and BORING tracking.

The 6+, for my granddaughter (camera buff) shipped this AM from ZhengZhou, China. It's scheduled to arrive on the 25th -- a full week ahead of the forecast. And, I'll be glued to the tracking -- to the coast of China, to Anchorage, to Oakland (or Memphis, then Oakland) ... now, that's what I call tracking!

My store is typically only has a dozen or two people queueing up but today it's a good 250 to 300. The local college starts up next week, but these coincide with each other each year. My guess is this iPhone release will break all sorts of new records.

When the store opens at 10am I'll go inside to check them out. If the 6+ can pass all my tests then I may get it. If not, then the other. I'm definitely going with 64GB, and likely going with Space [@]Marvin[/@] Grey but the latter could change to Silver upon seeing them.

I'm also going to give T-Mobile a go this time around. Voice calls are just too frustratingly bad. I don't even make many phone calls but AT&T just sucks out here still. No LTE, but T-Mo's map shows massive LTE coverage. Perhaps that's part of the spectrum deal when their feel through.

Whatever I choose I'll order online and wait for it to get shipped directly to my home.

AT&T reception is pretty good in the Bay Area ...

Let us know how the T-Mobile thing works out, if you decide to go with them.

I hate AT&T -- they seem to find a way to add meaningless little charges to nickel and dime you to death -- $40 for a goddamn upgrade fee my loard.

T-Mobile offers better deals and even offers to buy your existing contract but I've heard their reception is shitty, here abouts.

BTW, where do you live?
  • Reply 66 of 128

The 6 and the 6 plus are sweet phones.  I think Apple fans are going to get a lot of 'ooohhh!' all over again once they see what the big deal is about bigger screens.  One of the bigger things about my Note 3 I liked is I can comfortably read a book on it.  I couldn't do that on my iPhone because I always had to pinch and zoom.   Something to consider if you're on the fence between the 6 or 6 plus.  I was worried about size but have had no real issues- once it is in your pocket the extra size isn't even noticed, and when using it the size is definitely noticed.

I had the original note 1 and my sister wanted one so I got her the Note 3.  It was superior enough that I went out and got myself one the next week.  Crazy battery life makes any discussions about battery life almost a non-issue.  I get a day and 3/4 out of one charge so if I forget to charge it one night I can stretch through the second, but charging time is ridiculously fast anyways.  The thing I actually liked most about the Note 3 over the Note 1 is actually something this article lists as an advantage for the 6 plus...  The Note 1 had rounded corners.  With the wider grip needed on larger phones it was always trying to slide out of my hands.  On the Note 3 they squared the edges and put little ridges on it.   Zero slippage at all.  I'm not so sure the rounded edges that sound nice in an article are going to translate into actually being so nice in practice.

The thinness of the iPhone is nice, but I'm with the 'bigger battery would have been better' crowd.  Apple needs to work on slimming down its bezels in the next iteration.  The 6 plus is physically bigger than the Note 4 despite having a smaller screen and has mild 'cricket paddle' syndrome.

I actually like the lower resolution of the iPhone plus.  It is easily 'good enough'  and makes the phone have to power only 2 million pixels.  With the higher resolution and bigger screen of the Note making it have to drive nearly double that (@3.7mil pixels), the iPhone 6 should get a significant 'freebie' in performance.   Comparison tests will be like running two identical computers with one in high graphics mode and one in low.  I'd rather have the performance but we'll have to wait and see what kind of gap in performance there is.

Afraid to go anywhere near an Apple store at the moment, but eager to check out the 6 plus.  I like Apple's multiple device feature.  For the more affluent it would make it easy to keep your 5s for the days when you'd prefer a small phone and you wouldn't have to worry about it not being up to date with your main phone.

• Reply 67 of 128
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 1,999member
    My wife's iPhone 6 (silver, 64gb) arrived by UPS before 9am. My driver said it was his fourth one already that morning. I was expecting 2 from him (my 6 plus gold 128gb) and the driver confirmed another was listed on his tacking device and he would bring it by as soon as he met up with his shuttle driver. I also expect Fedex to bring a 6 gold 128 by that is technically for my son's line but is actually for my dev testing. 1 down 2 to go. Unfortunately I cannot turn the wife's on as she is out if town and being from Apple will auto activate if I mess around with it. Have been able to fondle it though. Very nice
  • Reply 68 of 128

"Phablet without the plab." Awesome line.

I've been trying to figure out do I want 6 or Plus and I'm like, completely stuck. It's kinda silly but I made a fun little "decision tree" to figure it out. Here it is (http://wp.me/p26kfi-wP) in case anyone else wants to try it out. It's quick & easy.

Thanks for all the photo's. Looks great!

• Reply 69 of 128
    This video of 'how it fits in pockets' is one of the least valuable and a huge waste of time
  • Reply 70 of 128
    You should do a video of how it feels in jeans when sitting. I just can't see a 6 feeling comfortable in jeans. I'm not interested in that size for a phone. For a tablet maybe, but for that I'd go with an iPad Mini.

There's a demand for larger screens, so I can see why they came out with a bigger phone. It's just not for me. :-)
  • Reply 71 of 128
    I would have liked to see him sit down with the new iPhones in his pants pocket. That's were I think I'll have a problem, and stick with a 5S.
  • Reply 72 of 128
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Really?! I thought he was the one repeatedly saying it existed without being able to supply any proof to his assertion. 

He did both.

Originally Posted by ibeam View Post

No, my implication was that it is easier...

In what respect? Easier ? smarter, by the way.

• Reply 73 of 128
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 1,999member

Fedex brought the second of the phones about 45 minutes ago.  He just left it on the porch, rang the doorbell, and took off, even though I did not sign a pre release or anything.  Luckily I was here.   This one was purchased through AT&T and I had to go to an AT&T website to activate.  Still waiting for that to actually happen -- says I am pending.

This is a straight 6 and is restoring from a backup I made of the 5S this morning in anticipation.   Actually, the restore is done, but the apps are not done synching back to the phone.

• Reply 74 of 128
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

have a rounded edge that makes them feel less bulky than other phones with big screens.

So other phones with big screens that have rounded edges would of course feel just as much less bulky as an iP6 does.

• Reply 75 of 128
    cnocbui wrote: »
    So other phones with big screens that have rounded edges would of course feel just as much less bulky as an iP6 does.

If they have a proper type of curvature and are as thin, sure.
  • Reply 76 of 128
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frood View Post

The thinness of the iPhone is nice, but I'm with the 'bigger battery would have been better' crowd.  Apple needs to work on slimming down its bezels in the next iteration.  The 6 plus is physically bigger than the Note 4 despite having a smaller screen and has mild 'cricket paddle' syndrome.

Thinner bezels, a much bigger battery sounds like last years LG G2.

The new iPhones are really nice.  Apple are going to sell a lot in prosperous markets.  I would imagine not a few people at Samsung are feeling a bit nervous and quesy right now.

• Reply 77 of 128
    Apple iPhone 6 Plus 128GB Gold
    http://amzn.to/ZuQ3ig
  • Reply 78 of 128

Just got my 6+ delivered by UPS from t-mobile. My worst fear realized - it is not stable on a surface while typing :(

I still believe that was the most stupid design idea from Apple ever to save 0.5mm and make camera protrude instead of just using a bigger battery and slightly thicker case.

• Reply 79 of 128
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    cnocbui wrote: »

The size is very similar to the latest Moto X (tho the Moto has a much larger display). In fact curvature on the Moto is actually more pronounced with the thickness decreasing from 9.9mm in the center to 3.5mm at the edges. I would guess its design profile would be at least as comfortable to hold but it's just that, a guess.

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/Motorola-Moto-X_id7885/size#/phones/Motorola-Moto-X_id7885/size/Apple-iPhone-6,Motorola-Moto-X-2014/phones/8346,8897
    jason98 wrote: »
    Just got my 6+ delivered by UPS from t-mobile. My worst fear realized - it is not stable on a surface while typing :(
    I still believe that was the most stupid design idea from Apple ever to save 0.5mm and make camera protrude instead of just using a bigger battery and slightly thicker case.
    ...and that Moto X I just mentioned would be even worse, a relative teeter-totter.The perfect design for all use cases is elusive.
  • Reply 80 of 128
    ibeamibeam Posts: 322member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

In what respect? Easier ? smarter, by the way.

Easier, smarter, faster, more accurate and in my case, since I was sending rather lengthy messages, quite a bit more effective. I can send a 50 word text in less than 15 seconds with Siri. Much better way to text so long as you are not disturbing someone with your voice or sending information that you do not want to be overheard. If someone wants to argue that a larger phone is not practical because of the difficulty in one handed texting, fine, don't buy the phone. It is rather stupid in my opinion to give up all the benefits of a larger phone for the extremely infrequent instances where you must text one handed and can't use Siri.

Of course, if someone just wants to argue for the sake of argument, then that is stupid as well.