Apple CEO Tim Cook to appear at WSJDLive conference in October

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2014
Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook will take top billing in appearing for an interview at the first-ever WSJDLive technology conference, to be held in California in late October.

Source: Charlie Rose

The new invitation-only conference from The Wall Street Journal will be held Oct. 27 through 29 at the Montage in Laguna Beach, Calif., and it was revealed on Friday that Cook will participate. His appearance comes after the CEO ceded the spotlight to Apple executives Eddy Cue and Jimmy Iovine at the Code Conference earlier this year.

Other notable names at the WSJDLive conference include Jack Ma of Alibaba, Dreamworks co-founder Jeffrey Katzenberg, Waze CEO Noam Bardin, and Sue Desmond-Hellmann of the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.

The event will be hosted by Journal editor in chief Gerard Baker, deputy editor in chief Rebecca Blumenstein, business editor Dennis Berman, and global technology editor Jonathan Krim.

"In bringing together this global cast of CEOs of some of the world's largest, most entrepreneurial and most dynamic companies, along with thought leaders, policymakers and innovators, WSJDLive will host an unrivaled conversation about the promise and challenges of the modern digital world," Baker said.

The event will actually run concurrently with the Code/Mobile Conference, put on by Re/code, which is staffed by former the Journal employees including Walt Mossberg and Kara Swisher, who spun off after founding AllThingsD. Apple's Greg Joswiak will appear at the competing conference scheduled for Oct. 27 and 28.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25

I want him to whale on the WSJ for allowing what they publish.

• Reply 2 of 25
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member

Hopefully this conference will follow new product announcements in October too.

• Reply 3 of 25
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

With the brand new iPhones just released today, the next Apple event on Oct 21 (supposedly), and then this conference about one week later makes for a very busy fall for Apple.

• Reply 4 of 25

BTW - I read that the line for the Apple store (fifth ave) stretched from 59 street (where the Apple store is located) to 86th street! Insane!

• Reply 5 of 25

I think Tim is becoming much too overexposed with all the interviews he's been giving lately. I wish Apple would go back to keeping the lamestream media at arms length while they put their energies into making great stuff.

• Reply 6 of 25
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

...the next Apple event on Oct 21...

I thought that was nope’d.

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

And no, when Steve Jobs was CEO Apple was not even close to being the largest company in the world

It’s not the largest company in the world now

• Reply 7 of 25
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I thought that was nope’d.

I must've missed that.

But if it's officially been "nope'd", then nope it is. He has never, ever been wrong as far back as I can recall.

• Reply 8 of 25
    I think you meant "Laguna Beach, CA."
  • Reply 9 of 25
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

...market cap...

Yeah, that sure means size, it does¡ ????

• Reply 10 of 25

That measures the VALUE of the company.

So... NOT the size, then. Thanks for agreeing.

• Reply 11 of 25
    Apple iPhone 6 and 6 Plus is now on sale, Find sites offering best deals and lowest market price for iPhone 6 only at freeappleiphone6.com
  • Reply 12 of 25
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    apple ][ wrote: »
    I must've missed that.

But if it's officially been "nope'd", then nope it is. He has never, ever been wrong as far back as I can recall.

The date was Nopeded!

Still most likely in October though...
  • Reply 13 of 25
    Originally Posted by cali View Post

The date was Nopeded!

Was it just the date or was it the event entirely? I can’t imagine the latter, which only leaves the 14th.

• Reply 14 of 25

So in your world was is the largest company?

The same one as in yours. Unfortunately, my US is only 50 states and limited to North America and the Pacific... Unless HTML stands for Hyperdimensional Tachyonic Messaging Language.

• Reply 15 of 25
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member

iPhone 6/Plus + iOS 8 = the Android Killer.

and the new better than ever iPads aren't even here yet ...

NB: it's impossible to overstate the dramatically growing importance of security in consumers' minds - especially those with assets to protect. the reports of massive credit card breaches and identifity theft and web attack sites etc. etc. just keep on coming. Cook hit the ball out of the park with his Security statement backed up with Touch ID, Apple Pay, etc. everyone who worries about these things is going to switch from Droid to iOS now. Google has no defense - they're the f'ing ringleader of the privacy invaders.

• Reply 16 of 25
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I want him to whale on the WSJ for allowing what they publish.

He should rip them a new newshole.

• Reply 17 of 25
    Quote:

So what is the biggest company in the world?

The Catholic church. :)

• Reply 18 of 25
    dsddsd Posts: 186member

Biggest company in the world?

U.S. Plus.  "We're U.S. Plus - We own the idea of America!"

http://firesigntheatre.com/bvhtml/bdb/usplusad.swf

• Reply 19 of 25
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    The Catholic church. :)

Really? Has the cap been calculated?
  • Reply 20 of 25
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Why does he do so many public appearances?