First iPhone 6 & iPhone 6 Plus teardowns reveal high-capacity batteries, reworked innards

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 65
    mjtomlin wrote: »
    The A8 is fabricated by TSMC <span style="line-height:1.4em;">and the DRAM by Hynix and Elpida.</span>

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">So, as I stated earlier... no Samsung parts</span>

Not so fast. All we can determine from this information is that the CPU and RAM aren't fabricated by Samsung. There could be other components not yet detailed, components that go into a component that Samsung makes (e.g: an amp in the included PSU), or a facility or machinery leased or sold by Samsung to another company to build their products. I bet money that Samsung is involved with this iPhone in some way.
  • Reply 62 of 65
    Well, if i understand correctly, i believe the vast difference is for the reason being that the type of customer that will buy the iphone 6 will use less media and power consuming tasks that also prefer smaller less hassle device, and the people who buy the iphone 6 plus are heavy media users that will put the iphone 6plus to work, so they decided to really amp up that battery. They would more like garner complaints from 6 plus users about battery life, and they would most likely garner complaints from iphone 6 users that are a little more conservative about size and thickness issues, so they catered each device to the consumer types. Thats my "opinion" i could be wrong.
    I want the 6, not 6+ and they added this to 6+ to force the bigger more attractive.
    dunks wrote: »
    This is the biggest sticking point for me. I will need to see real world statistics on battery life before I commit to a model or not.

I REALLY wish they had made the iPhone 6 enclosure flush with the camera lens and used the extra space to bump up the battery capacity.

I think a lot of people will be opting for the 6+ just for the higher resolution and PPI display and increased battery when size-wise at least they would be better suited to the smaller model.
    That's me.
    zeromeus wrote: »
    PPI means NOTHING.  That's just Samsung's gimmick along with their overclocked SOC and all the halfbaked stuff they put into their phone just so they can claim they have so and so but their phone never work quite right as Apple's lower specs that JUST WORK.

I got the iPhone 6 plus NOT because of the screen resolution or the PPI.  I got the 6 plus for the camera and screen size as well as true 1080P so the movies that I watch will be at its true resolution.  750 just doesn't work for me and having a screen over 1080P doesn't make sense either.
    Still, people like the idea, and as the 6+ is TV standard, there are cases where it works.
    wizard69 wrote: »
    Why would you want such a silly thing? Batteries are all about area, the + has more area for the battery and thus can store more energy. You are basically asking Apple to compromise one design for no good reason.
    6 is 2 mm thinner, thus if they added those 2 mm then they could have easily had 200 or so mah increase, substituting battery.
  • Reply 63 of 65
    It's not about seeing the pixels, it's about the arithmetic of scaling: The round-off error involved, and how many pixels are displayed as-is vs. calculated. Native resolution is always best, but failing that, the largest common divisors should be small, like 1080/720 is 3/2. 750 lines is going to be horrendous for any standard video format: in particular, 750/1080 is 125/180! The artifacts due to this will be noticeable, rest assured.

I think you make a good point, but as I'm feeling this is an iffy I really need to compare the two screens side by side for this. Still, it sounds very logical, so, thanks.
  • Reply 64 of 65
    macfacts wrote: »
    I'm just wondering why you care so much? Its not like the 5C or 5S was slow or anything, even running iOS 8. There's a reason why Apple never gives you the specs of the phone because it doesn't really matter. 
    It actually does matter. While sure, preliminary benchmarks show great results, once you start using apps and what not, it eats up your ram and slows down your phone and causes reloads and crashes that you dont want. The phone software itself takes up half of the ram alone. Theres a app that monitors my ram and basically i have to close apps constantly in order to have open clear space, ehich is. Ot what i like to be doung as a multitasker. The processor matters to because other phones are getting 2.4ghz with the same or better battery lives. So it all matters.
  • Reply 65 of 65
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

I despise iFixit, everything they stand for, and every PR video they produce.

Wow, not me. They've helped me remedy sick Macs twice, with instructions even a bonehead like me could follow. One can easily look through a repair before trying it, so that if it looks too difficult the decision can be made to hand it off to a professional surgeon BEFORE causing internal injuries.

They even had a source for a replacement optical drive at a time when I couldn't find one by searching the web.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

They rip people off for their "services"

I don't understand. I didn't pay anything for the step-by-step instructions I used.

I understand that people get bent out of shape when iFixIt gives a product a low repairability score, but there really isn't any need to. It's exactly what it says it is, an evaluation of how easy or difficult an item is TO REPAIR. A low score there is not an indictment of the product, it's just an assessment of one particular characteristic.