Hands on: unboxing and sizing up Apple's new iPhone 6 & 6 Plus

Comments

• Reply 81 of 128
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 1,999member

Would be nice if AT&T would actually activate the phone that came.  Been over 2 hours.  Still waiting on UPS for the last phone.

• Reply 82 of 128
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    My store is typically only has a dozen or two people queueing up but today it's a good 250 to 300. The local college starts up next week, but these coincide with each other each year. My guess is this iPhone release will break all sorts of new records.

When the store opens at 10am I'll go inside to check them out. If the 6+ can pass all my tests then I may get it. If not, then the other. I'm definitely going with 64GB, and likely going with Space [@]Marvin[/@] Grey but the latter could change to Silver upon seeing them.

I'm also going to give T-Mobile a go this time around. Voice calls are just too frustratingly bad. I don't even make many phone calls but AT&T just sucks out here still. No LTE, but T-Mo's map shows massive LTE coverage. Perhaps that's part of the spectrum deal when their feel through.

Whatever I choose I'll order online and wait for it to get shipped directly to my home.

Make it a sample size of two. There were still a hundred or so people queued up at my store at lunchtime yesterday. I think Apple may have missed a first wave of people with a preference for large phones but I reckon they're just gobbling it up now. Still can't choose between the two. Is the + a viable ipad replacement?
  • Reply 83 of 128
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    frood wrote: »
    The 6 and the 6 plus are sweet phones.  I think Apple fans are going to get a lot of 'ooohhh!' all over again once they see what the big deal is about bigger screens.  One of the bigger things about my Note 3 I liked is I can comfortably read a book on it.  I couldn't do that on my iPhone because I always had to pinch and zoom.   Something to consider if you're on the fence between the 6 or 6 plus.  I was worried about size but have had no real issues- once it is in your pocket the extra size isn't even noticed, and when using it the size is definitely noticed.

I had the original note 1 and my sister wanted one so I got her the Note 3.  It was superior enough that I went out and got myself one the next week.  Crazy battery life makes any discussions about battery life almost a non-issue.  I get a day and 3/4 out of one charge so if I forget to charge it one night I can stretch through the second, but charging time is ridiculously fast anyways.  The thing I actually liked most about the Note 3 over the Note 1 is actually something this article lists as an advantage for the 6 plus...  The Note 1 had rounded corners.  With the wider grip needed on larger phones it was always trying to slide out of my hands.  On the Note 3 they squared the edges and put little ridges on it.   Zero slippage at all.  I'm not so sure the rounded edges that sound nice in an article are going to translate into actually being so nice in practice.

The thinness of the iPhone is nice, but I'm with the 'bigger battery would have been better' crowd.  Apple needs to work on slimming down its bezels in the next iteration.  The 6 plus is physically bigger than the Note 4 despite having a smaller screen and has mild 'cricket paddle' syndrome.

I actually like the lower resolution of the iPhone plus.  It is easily 'good enough'  and makes the phone have to power only 2 million pixels.  With the higher resolution and bigger screen of the Note making it have to drive nearly double that (@3.7mil pixels), the iPhone 6 should get a significant 'freebie' in performance.   Comparison tests will be like running two identical computers with one in high graphics mode and one in low.  I'd rather have the performance but we'll have to wait and see what kind of gap in performance there is.

Afraid to go anywhere near an Apple store at the moment, but eager to check out the 6 plus.  I like Apple's multiple device feature.  For the more affluent it would make it easy to keep your 5s for the days when you'd prefer a small phone and you wouldn't have to worry about it not being up to date with your main phone.

It's a 'bat'. A cricket 'bat'. :-)
  • Reply 84 of 128
    djsherly wrote: »
    Make it a sample size of two. There were still a hundred or so people queued up at my store at lunchtime yesterday. I think Apple may have missed a first wave of people with a preference for large phones but I reckon they're just gobbling it up now. Still can't choose between the two. Is the + a viable ipad replacement?

The 6+ passed all my hand usage and front pocket pants tests. I even took a seat on their table to make sure it wasn't pressing anywhere uncomfortably when in my pocket.

Because of the longer battery and my infrequent use of my Retina iPad mini I opted to give it a whirl for the next year.

I settled on the T-Mobile, 5.5", Silver/White, 64GB purchased through T-Mo with their 0% financing and no contract.

I'll be switching from AT&T which unbelievably is showing LTE in my area for the first time EVER!! The only downside so far is having to wait 1-8 weeks for delivery, but I don't really care about waiting this time around.

Time to sell my iPad. I figure $300 for my iPad, then $352 for my iPhone 5S (grandfathered in with my purchase today), and T-Mo paying my ETF for AT&T makes his a pretty good purchase.
  • Reply 85 of 128

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

...and that Moto X I just mentioned would be even worse, a relative teeter-totter.The perfect design for all use cases is elusive.

Who cares about Moto X?

• Reply 86 of 128
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

typing on a table.........

I guess some people are just morons

Why should 99% of the iPhone users suffer with a fat phone so the 1% like you can type on a table? Just makes some mods to the phone or the table.  Or buy a friken case.  Its not that complicated!

Some people are definitely morons if they think they represent 99%.

• Reply 87 of 128
    jason98 wrote: »
    Some people are definitely morons if they think they represent 99%.

"Believe me when I tell you that 99% of people are morons." —The 1% who are, by their definition, not morons
  • Reply 88 of 128
    Never thought I would spend three minutes staring at DED's crotch. Oh well… it was for research!
  • Reply 89 of 128
    froodfrood Posts: 771member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by djsherly View Post

It's a 'bat'. A cricket 'bat'. :-)

Depends if you're actually using it to play cricket or not =p

• Reply 90 of 128
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Go buy a battery case.  I mean SERIOUSLY what about that don't you understand.  for the rest of us who don't watch 10 hours of Netflix a day we LOVE our thin phone.

Apple does not need to work on thinning the bezels.  Go look at the LG G3 and see that stupid phone with the home button ON THE BACK of the phone.  Looks pretty in pictures but a total PIA in real life.  I mean SERIOUSLY.  How does 1/4 inch of bezel drive you crazy?  And did you ever think that the bezel is needed for touchID to work properly?  Samdung can make their home button thin because of their POS fingerprint scanner.

And look at the innards of the iPhone.  You seriously think Apple could shrink the case even smaller and fit EVERYTHING???? HELL NO.  Use your brain folks.....

Apple knows more about design than you do.  Leave it to the professionals and enjoy your Note4

Have you used an LG G3 in real life?  Anandtech have.  In their review of the G3:

Quote:

The back buttons are a non-issue, even without KnockOn/Off and KnockCode, and the curved back is great for ergonomics.

And from their mini review of the G2:

Quote:

I found the backside buttons easy to adapt to after my first few interactions with the G2, and they actually become second nature after a day or so.

The G2 has 36% more volume than the 6 but has 65% greater battery capacity.  It manages a 5.2" screen in a body that is the same length as the 6 and is only 4mm wider and 2mm thicker.

• Reply 91 of 128
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,178member
    The 6+ passed all my hand usage and front pocket pants tests. I even took a seat on their table to make sure it wasn't pressing anywhere uncomfortably when in my pocket.

Because of the longer battery and my infrequent use of my Retina iPad mini I opted to give it a whirl for the next year.

I settled on the T-Mobile, 5.5", Silver/White, 64GB purchased through T-Mo with their 0% financing and no contract.

I'll be switching from AT&T which unbelievably is showing LTE in my area for the first time EVER!! The only downside so far is having to wait 1-8 weeks for delivery, but I don't really care about waiting this time around.

Time to sell my iPad. I figure $300 for my iPad, then $352 for my iPhone 5S (grandfathered in with my purchase today), and T-Mo paying my ETF for AT&T makes his a pretty good purchase.

Good move Soli. :smokey:
  • Reply 92 of 128
    TouchID ...

TouchID?

It occurs to me that they never said that you had to use your [I] finger [/I] for TouchID ...

Not only could that make ApplePay more interesting -- but it virtually guarantees that nobody would want to steal your iPhone ... Eeww!
  • Reply 93 of 128
    Reminds me how the indians must of felt in my favorite Basque Western movie -- where the Basques descended on the raiding indians by trampolining down the steep canyon walls while yelling a high-piched way cry ... Must've scared the bejesus out of 'em:

[VIDEOCLIP]

Hilarious!

gatorguy wrote: »
    Try it. In post#10 he used the word "continuity" . It would appear as tho Taniwha used it.

I did. It just works™. http://forums.appleinsider.com/newsearch?Search=SEARCH&action=disp&advanced=1&byuser=Corrections&newer=1&numupdates=&order=descending&replycompare=gt&sdate=0&search=&sort=relevance&titleonly=0&type=36

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/182235/iphone-6-first-impressions-after-using-apples-bigger-than-bigger-phone/80#post_2600861

And within a thread, Cmd-F pulls up 'Corrections' as the search criteria, because it's plain text. (unlike admins and moderators, those are actually title .png's but I digress)

Looks like I'm missing something here that you are seeing yourself, but I can't 'replicate' it.

My guess is this iPhone release will break all sorts of new records.

'...all sorts of new records' - good one!
    Space Marvin Grey

Missed that reference, now I feel left out of a good joke

This video of 'how it fits in pockets' is one of the least valuable and a huge waste of time

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

... my infrequent use of my Retina iPad mini

So it is going to cannibalise the Mini. Oh well, I would presume it would cost Apple way more to create the iPad mini than the iPhone 6+. Cramming in all that tech into the iPad mini must cost a lot more than to cram in the tech of a smaller product into a larger FF.

You previously stated that 16GB was enough due to many thing being in the loud today, including iTunes Match. What changed? Was it the added 32GB we now get 'for free' when upgrading storage?
  • Reply 94 of 128
    Got my daughter's 64 GB 6 to replace her 16 GB 5C. It is only slightly larger than the 5C. I got to play with the camera for about 2 minutes -- nice ... very nice!

Bought the 5C unlocked -- that goes to my youngest grandson -- to replace his 16 GB 4S.

I still want an iPad or iPad Mini (with all the features of the iP6+) -- These old eyes (and short fat fingers) need the bigger screen. I seldom make or receive phone calls -- and look dorky regardless of whether I use an iPad as a camera or phone.
  • Reply 95 of 128
    philboogie wrote: »
    Missed that reference, now I feel left out of a good joke

Marvin commented recently on the name Space Grey not making any sense because space isn't grey. My joke is just to rename it after him.

The conversation starts there and then continues on for awhile. I even a QI video clip in the conversation. :D
    So it is going to cannibalise the Mini.

I believe it will cannibalize all iPad sales. The iPad was so successful in growth that it already reached it's maximum last year. Perhaps that's one reason Apple waited on these larger iPhones. Regardless, the iPad will still be the best and most dominate tablet in every way but I think there is a decent niche, like me, that will settle on just the one device.
    You previously stated that 16GB was enough due to many thing being in the loud today, including iTunes Match. What changed? Was it the added 32GB we now get 'for free' when upgrading storage?

Yes, I have about 7GB free right now, but I had planned to move to 32GB with the next iPhone regardless if that was the low-end or mid-range capacity. This was just insurance in case I do more with it and/or the IPSW keep getting very large. I think iOS 8 required nearly 7GiB free for the download, swap partition, and whatever else it does for the OTA install. Annoying to have 5GiB free and still need to offload stuff for an OTA update. Anyway, since 32GB isn't available I jumped to 64GB. I think that 48GB difference will result in a resale value over the 16GB in a year (or two) that will cover most of that $100 upgrade price.
  • Reply 96 of 128
    Marvin commented recently on the name Space Grey not making any sense because space isn't grey. My joke is just to rename it after him.

The conversation starts there and then continues on for awhile. I even a QI video clip in the conversation. :D
    So it is going to cannibalise the Mini.

I believe it will cannibalize all iPad sales. The iPad was so successful in growth that it already reached it's maximum last year. Perhaps that's one reason Apple waited on these larger iPhones. Regardless, the iPad will still be the best and most dominate tablet in every way but I think there is a decent niche, like me, that will settle on just the one device.

Yes, I have about 7GB free right now, but I had planned to move to 32GB with the next iPhone regardless if that was the low-end or mid-range capacity. This was just insurance in case I do more with it and/or the IPSW keep getting very large. I think iOS 8 required nearly 7GiB free for the download, swap partition, and whatever else it does for the OTA install. Annoying to have 5GiB free and still need to offload stuff for an OTA update. Anyway, since 32GB isn't available I jumped to 64GB. I think that 48GB difference will result in a resale value over the 16GB in a year (or two) that will cover most of that $100 upgrade price.

1) Cool to see your prompt reply

2) Thanks for the link, even without looking I remember it; weird how quickly I seem to forget a reference

3) You make an excellent point on the cannibalisation of the iPad mini. Indeed, perhaps Apple was counting on it with the introduction of a phablet (godawful gawful word) and 'created hype' by introducing it only now, in 2014.

4) As to the free storage space, people ought to do the upgrade over USB <> iTunes. That way the iOS device didn't nee all that free storage as the Mac did all the unpacking of the compressed files. I did my devices this way, and it was, in short, a breeze.

OT, supposedly Apple has stopped signing the iOS7.1.2 (iOS7 basically) so anyone wishing to revert cannot, by now)
  • Reply 97 of 128

I completely agree. No need to keep going thinner.

• Reply 98 of 128
    sog35 wrote: »
    Good thoughts about the Note1/Note3/6 Plus.

I agree that keeping the 5S is a good idea.  I mean seriously what else could you buy for $200 is as sweet as a slightly used 5S? 

I visited the Apple store today and used the iPhone6 and PLUS.  The iPhone6 is AMAZING.  Probably the perfect phone for 80% of the population.  The iPhone6+ is alot easier to handle and use then I thought.  It easily fit in my front pants pocket and I'm not a huge guy ( 6 ft about 180 lbs).  I was super impressed by both phones.  They both feel light for some reason compared to even the 5S.   I love the rounded corners, the feel is so comfortable.  Just be warned that if you are getting the 6+ it is certainly a 2 handed phone unless you hands are 10+ inches long.

I agree with your comment regarding the 5S weight versus both new 6 versions. I told my brother after visiting an AT&T store that the 5S was heavier. I then looked it up on Apple's website to find that 5S is actually lighter.
  • Reply 99 of 128
    Quote:

Go buy a G3 than. I bet after a week you will return because have the home button on the back of the screen is stupid. Right now Apple uses the button for so many things - touch ID, multi-task, reach-ability, siri. Plain stupid to make such an important button in the back of the phone. Its the one button you use the MOST. That is just BAD design. PERIOD. And thats why no one else uses that design. And thats why LG sells as many phones a year as iPhone does in 1 day.

Battery capacity don't mean jack. All that matters is how long the battery lasts.

But i digress because you think you are a better designer than Apple. How arrogant can you get?

Of course the G2 is small volume wise. It used POS plastic as the frame. But most importantly the idiotic button in the back is something Apple will NEVER do. EVER. Because its plan stupidity.

The bottom line is the iPhone6 is the best phone on the market. PERIOD. So stop being a little cry baby and appreciate the greatness.

The home button is not on the back, the power button is.

• Reply 100 of 128
    My store is typically only has a dozen or two people queueing up but today it's a good 250 to 300. The local college starts up next week, but these coincide with each other each year. My guess is this iPhone release will break all sorts of new records.

When the store opens at 10am I'll go inside to check them out. If the 6+ can pass all my tests then I may get it. If not, then the other. I'm definitely going with 64GB, and likely going with Space [@]Marvin[/@] Grey but the latter could change to Silver upon seeing them.

I'm also going to give T-Mobile a go this time around. Voice calls are just too frustratingly bad. I don't even make many phone calls but AT&T just sucks out here still. No LTE, but T-Mo's map shows massive LTE coverage. Perhaps that's part of the spectrum deal when their feel through.

Whatever I choose I'll order online and wait for it to get shipped directly to my home.

T-Mobile did have a deal a few months back where you could try them out for free for a week. They would send u a new iPhone 5S in the mail, u could use unlimited for a week, if u like u keep, if not return phone to local T-Mobile store and your done.