Save money with new app bundles available on the App Store in iOS 8

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2014
Starting with iOS 8, developers are now able to bundle and sell their applications together, allowing users to buy a number of apps at once from the App Store at a discounted rate.

A new Bundles section can be found on the iOS App Store's main Featured page, where collections range from games to photo editing tools to productivity apps.

The pages for each bundle even inform users how much money they will save by buying the collection. For example, the Final Fantasy 6+1-in-One bundle would cost $97.93 if all seven applications were purchased separately, but together they can be bought for $69.99.

If a customer already has some of the applications available in the bundle, a discounted "Complete My Bundle" rate can also be offered.

Icons for bundles are presented in the form of an iOS folder, with four shrunken individual app icons include inside a folder bubble. Bundles can include as few as two applications, while as of Thursday the largest bundles include 9 apps.

Bundle pages have their own unique description and listing. Screenshots are also accompanied by captions, so that developers can make it clear to users what application from the bundle is being shown in a particular picture.

Like individual apps, bundles also get their own reviews. Links are also provided to each individual application included in the bundle.

And to make bundle discovery and any accompanying savings easier to discover, Apple also includes links to bundle pages from individual app listings. If an application is included in a bundle, users can find a link to it in a new section called "Also Included In."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    Very cool. Another way to appeal to late adopters and pick up additional revenue for developers.
  • Reply 2 of 17

I’m liking this. Particularly completing a bundle for cheaper!

• Reply 3 of 17

Has anyone got iOS 8 yet? Is it any good?

• Reply 5 of 17

My Air is faster, battery life seems to have been unaffected. The new Safari is amazing. Games with Metal seem okay, it's early days yet (really impressive motion blur in Asphalt 8 though). Hey Siri is amazing.

Overall, unless you've got A5 powered devices, download it. If you have A5 powered devices, just know it's got some animation stuttering. Not as bad as 7.0 on the iPhone 4 though.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    My Air is faster, battery life seems to have been unaffected. The new Safari is amazing. Games with Metal seem okay, it's early days yet (really impressive motion blur in Asphalt 8 though). Hey Siri is amazing.

Overall, unless you've got A5 powered devices, download it. If you have A5 powered devices, just know it's got some animation stuttering. Not as bad as 7.0 on the iPhone 4 though.

I find the improved Siri and dictation to be pretty astounding, actually. It's not 100% accurate, but then again I consider it a miracle I can get a remotely accurate transcription.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

No, noone has iOS8 yet, on an Apple focused website, especially since it was released to everyone in the world more than a day ago. And no, it sucks. I recommend iOS5, that was my favorite. 

• Reply 8 of 17
    Can publishers bundle ebooks on the iBookstore?

In the past, there's been no way to sell a reflowable version of a book (for iPhones) and a fixed-format version for iPads together at one price. Customers had to buy both separately even though the content was the same.

Bundles of ebooks would also let authors sell their entire series in one package.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Quote:

No, noone has iOS8 yet, on an Apple focused website, especially since it was released to everyone in the world more than a day ago. And no, it sucks. I recommend iOS5, that was my favorite. 

Do I detect a note of sarcasm reading between the lines? 

• Reply 10 of 17
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:

Do I detect a note of sarcasm reading between the lines? 

Not if you are reading this on an iPhone 6 + and those lines were down-sampled :-)

• Reply 11 of 17
    Good Article.

For a similar piece but with a more developer focused angle check out:
    http://www.avocarrot.com/blog/apples-app-bundles-still-potential-paid-apps/
  • Reply 12 of 17
    So, Apple now has Family Share -- way too late. My kids have been in an iPad only school for 4 years now. When they started, I had to lie about their ages to open iTunes accounts for them. Fast forward to iOS 8 and we finally have Family Share where kids under 13 can have an account and I can manage their purchases. However, because of their false birthdays, they are "adults" and I cannot manage/approve these purchases. Someone's head should roll for this kind of screwy implementation. They've made gobs of money selling schools on using iPads in their curricula but not given us appropriate tools to let kids have the access they need. (My kids are in a K-8 school and every child has their own iPad). The worst thing is that now that there is Family Share, I am not allowed to change their birthdays to be correct so either I have to trust my elementary school kids with my credit card or go through the pain of multiple iTunes accounts for each child so that I don't have to re-purchase everything they've bought to date (previously, I managed this with iTunes allowances). For a company dedicated to selling to the education market, they really aren't prepared to play in it. Or, perhaps it's just a way to make more money.....perhaps it's time for a call to the DOJ or, at the very least, my local school board.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    Originally Posted by schralp View Post

I had to lie about their ages...

Well, no, but...

Someone's head should roll for this kind of screwy implementation.

Nah, the implementation’s fine. Someone’s head should roll at the RIAA for forcing draconian copyright protection.

...perhaps it's time for a call to the DOJ or, at the very least, my local school board.

Or maybe you shouldn’t have lied about your kids’ ages in the first place. This wouldn’t have been a problem then.

• Reply 14 of 17

What does copyright protection have to do with this? It's completely off topic. I suppose you have another suggestion for how to handle the need for elementary school students in an iPad only curriculum to have iTunes accounts in order to purchase the educational apps required by the school system? If so, perhaps you should share it. The school actually suggested the "fictional" birth dates.....thanks for your constructive comments.

• Reply 15 of 17

What does copyright protection have to do with this? It's completely off topic.

Nah, it’s what held back family sharing.

I suppose you have another suggestion for how to handle the need for elementary school students in an iPad only curriculum to have iTunes accounts in order to purchase the educational apps required by the school system? If so, perhaps you should share it.

Sure do. Single account in the school’s name, bulk purchases of apps handled by the school, pushed out to the school’s devices as needed. You’re not breaking any laws that way.

The school actually suggested the "fictional" birth dates...

If I knew nothing about how schools are administered these days, this would surprise and depress me. Alas.

• Reply 16 of 17

If the school had such a system, this thread wouldn't exist. As I am not a school administrator at their school, I don't have the ability to implement the solution you are suggesting. Got one that an individual could implement?

Not sure we broke any laws? Are there laws about "fictional birth dates" to get an iTunes account?

• Reply 17 of 17

If the school had such a system, this thread wouldn't exist.

Sounds like you need to give someone a tip.

Not sure we broke any laws? Are there laws about "fictional birth dates" to get an iTunes account?

Don’t try to pretend that laws against the misrepresentation of one’s age don’t exist.