Hands on: unboxing and sizing up Apple's new iPhone 6 & 6 Plus

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

The bottom line is very few people use there iphone as a typewriter on a desk. Personally I've never seen a single person use there iPhone like that. You need to remember that Apple designs there phones to please the majority of fans. IMO I much rather have a thinner phone than a thicker phone that lies flat.

And for those special people who have special needs there are easy solutions. A battery case for those who want better battery life and a case for those who use there phone on a table.

For the rest of us (90%) we love our thin phone. But if things change and more people demand a flat phone or longer battery life Apple will change. Come to think of it hardly any phones have flat backs like the 5S.

I love how easily you count yourself as a part of some 99 or 90 percentile user group without providing a single fact or reference to an existing study.  "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

• Reply 122 of 128
    Another request for your review:

As well as a normal battery life test, I would like to see an intense battery life test.

For instance, personal hotspot on, multiple apps in the background tracking with gps, brightness at 100%, LTE reception weak but still turned on, a demanding game played, video running with sound at 100% on the speaker, GarageBand recording in the background, the torch on constantly, time lapse on in the background and lots of app switching.

Essentially, see how quickly you can run the battery down.
  • Reply 123 of 128
    An interesting change for your iPhone review. You may have noticed it, but if not:

You can now toggle mobile data off but still receive calls. Could you do this before? I'm not sure, but I don't think so. Before, it was all or nothing: Airplane Mode meant no calls; and I think you could turn off mobile data, but that meant no calls, too. I used to be able to turn off 3G to save battery life, but I still got internet data through Edge or GPRS. Now, I can turn 4G on and off with a button, but not 3G.

I like this change. It means that if I'm low on battery, I can turn off data but still receive calls, which is more efficient than just reverting to Edge/GPRS.

I'm with a GSM carrier in the UK.
  • Reply 124 of 128
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    An interesting change for your iPhone review. You may have noticed it, but if not:

You can now toggle mobile data off but still receive calls. Could you do this before? I'm not sure, but I don't think so. Before, it was all or nothing: Airplane Mode meant no calls; and I think you could turn off mobile data, but that meant no calls, too. I used to be able to turn off 3G to save battery life, but I still got internet data through Edge or GPRS. Now, I can turn 4G on and off with a button, but not 3G.

I like this change. It means that if I'm low on battery, I can turn off data but still receive calls, which is more efficient than just reverting to Edge/GPRS.

I think you've always been able to turn off mobile data but still make calls.
    http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4146

"We people who read instructions know these things". :)
    http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/182400/how-to-back-up-your-data-and-move-it-to-your-new-iphone-6-or-iphone-6-plus#post_2602970
  • Reply 125 of 128
    gatorguy wrote: »

I think you've always been able to turn off mobile data but still make calls.
    http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4146

"We people who read instructions know these things". :)
    http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/182400/how-to-back-up-your-data-and-move-it-to-your-new-iphone-6-or-iphone-6-plus#post_2602970

I stand corrected. ????

I had though that turning off cellular data meant no phone calls, but it didn't.

For those people who just want GPS and no calls or data, you can turn off mobile data and turn on Do Not Disturb. Would this keep GPS active? I presume so. I'm thinking of cyclists, people walking in mountains, people using maps.
  • Reply 126 of 128
    For those people who just want GPS and no calls or data, you can turn off mobile data and turn on Do Not Disturb. Would this keep GPS active? I presume so. I'm thinking of cyclists, people walking in mountains, people using maps.

1) Perhaps. Give it a try.

2) You can also turn on Airplane Mode and then enable WiFi and/or Bluetooth independently despite all other wireless options being inactive. This is a nice way to reduce power use on a plane that offers WiFi.
  • Reply 127 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freediverx View Post

Dat white balance.

no doubt. it appears theyve partially fixed it -- the version on these comments pages is served from "photos." and is properly white balanced. the version on "cdn1." is not.

(youd almost think the site was run by technologists...)