Apple announces record sales of 10 million iPhone 6 & iPhone 6 Plus units in first 3 days

Comments

• Reply 81 of 178
    1/3 of that number was sold to old Chinese people lol. When I looked at 19-min video, those Chinese people was sleeping in the trash bags just to make a $100 at most...It broke my heart. Fck the Chinese black market.
  • Reply 82 of 178
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 1,999member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I'm glad that I wasn't in line for any phone this year, because in New York City, the Chinese scalpers were everywhere. Hordes of Chinese people, many of them elderly people, waiting in line and not being able to speak one single word of English. I'd venture a guess that these aren't exactly Apple users or Apple fans, especially since they get rid of their phones as soon as they buy them, when they hand the phones off to a shady looking person carrying some Chinese bag filled to the brim with scores of iPhones.

I think that mainly may be a problem in NYC and in Cali, etc.   Later on Friday I stopped by an Apple Store looking for a case, and the line still had 30 people in it here in SLC (not City Creek) and there were no obvious Chinese scalpers.  That phenomenon may exist, but probably is limited to certain markets.

• Reply 83 of 178
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

So only Chinese foreigners  ride buses?  Maybe they were Chinese American's from upstate NY?

You should just stop before you make your self sound like a racist (not saying you are)

How is it racist?  Stating fact and conjecture based on that  fact is not racist, when likely true.

• Reply 84 of 178
    Quote:

Fair enough.

I think if you left off Chinese from the description it may play out better for Chinese Americans.

If you are against organized scalping, fine.  I totally understand that.  But to isolate one race is quite unfair.

Facts are facts, man.

What is this world coming to?  We are afraid to talk about facts and observations, in fear of offending someone who is probably not even reading AI?

• Reply 85 of 178
    Quote:

He speicificly mention Chinese SPEAKING people who could not understand a lick of English.  What am I suppose to conclude?  Why is that even relevant?  Why did he even have to mention race?  Or the fact they can't speak English?

Again I NEVER said he was racist.  I just said it may SOUND racist to some Chinese Americans.

How is that racist?  Again, answer the question.   Are you "Chinese American" (whatever that is?)  

The facts were that the lines were predominantly Chinese appearing people, who were not speaking English.    Talking and discussing this fact is NOT racist.

• Reply 86 of 178
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frood View Post

I noticed that too.  Tim usually picks his words very precisely.  It is probably a way of making 'supply constraints' (a badish thing) sound really good.

Sell through is the percentage of units actually sold in relation to those shipped.  Since they are supply constrained, they are going to sell near 100% of what they ship.

Apple being supply constrained and still selling a record number is a very good thing even if Wall Street generally doesn't really like it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RadarTheKat View Post

Apple has a huge balancing act to perform with each new iPhone release. Here are a few of the factors I think about:

Rapid Response Team. Apple has a rapid response team standing by watching for any reported issues once the phones are in customers' hands. If an issue arises in the software, that's bad, but not so bad as a hardware issue. Software issues can be fixed and pushed out, but a hardware issue could imply a recall or a swap out of a large number of units. For this reason, Apple would be smart not to build too many units ahead. The company must choose a balance between customer demand and wanting to limit the exposure should a hardware problem present itself.

Start of production. Any company would like to have as much time as possible leading up to a new product introduction to ramp production and get the bugs out of the production process. Apple has to balance between ramping early and taking more time to work out production lines issues. So it's not simply a matter of starting production back in July so there will be 20+ million units on day one.

Ongoing production levels. Apple needs to scale its production capability to meet steady-state demand after an initial spike in demand around the launch of a new product. It's inefficient to build out production capacity to meet initial demand, as then you end up with idle production lines after the initial demand spike is satisfied.

I think Apple very carefully manages these issues and knows long before launch day what number they will report after first weekend sales; simply because they know they will sell every unit they produce and they control the number of units available. Skewing conservative with its supply satisfies the above three issues while also creating scarcity that increases demand.

I will add two more to your list

a) Apple has to manage Wall Street and they cannot have 1 quarter with 100M and the rest with 1-4 M sales

b) Where can you store 20M-50M of anything?  What kind of liability would that be?

• Reply 87 of 178
    Quote:

yet you have no problem with White american's buying those same phones and selling them on Ebay?

I don't get  your point at all.  This is a free country.  YOu get to keep what you buy or you are free to sell it.  Whats the big deal?  Funny i only hear 'complaints' about CHINESE scalpers but not about White?  Double standard MUCH?

You know who I have a problem with?  Not with scalpers.  But with US Citizens that are lazy and dont work.  Lazy US Citizens that cause all of our taxes to go up because we have to support them.  Look at the stats.  See how many Chinese US citizens are unemployeed....

No, it is not a double standard, because while the Chinese scalpers may be a drop in the bucket in the big scheme of things, they are organized and large compared to the other groups (including white Americans) who are buying to sell on eBay.  And the Chinese black market is a known, and somewhat measurable phenomenon which could have an effect on sales, while eBay sales by "scalpers" are most likely very insignificant, and not an organized effort.

• Reply 88 of 178
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    mac_128 wrote: »
    Even more than the 5c vs. the 5s, I would love to know how many 6 Pluses sold compared to the 6. But Alas, Apple doesn't provide that information. I'd especially like to know how many previous iPhone users chose the 6 Plus (I shudder to think of large numbers of Apple users opting for the phablet).

But I don't know why the 6C would ever be the free phone. I expect the 5s to be transplanted into the plastic case and survive another year. Frankly the 6 does not offer that much over the 5s. The biggest selling points seem to be better camera, NFC and bigger screen. Processor speed is not a major factor for most users. So, if they drop the 6c into the free phone spot, there won't be a lot of areas for them to differentiate the free phone from the 6s.

The 4" phone helps differentiate the model styles, just as the plastic case of the 5c does. The 4" will live on, and since the screen is not only cheaper, but if they position it as the middle tier and free phone, it can keep most of the new features of the top line phones limited only by what the case will accommodate, and still justify the price reduction. So eventually you have $100, $200, $300, all with similar features, but differentiated by screen size. Then the 4" screen will get bumped down to a plastic shell, as the top three are upgraded every year. I think Apple has already given us a hint at this kind of marketing with the 5c -- customers no longer have a choice of this years model, last years model and the two-year old model: they now can choose between three models of the current phone, each with slightly different features (like the 6 & 6 plus), and then a new entry level model which is not like any of the previously offered models.

I have to wonder what Samsung will do next to attract customers back ...
    I'd happily pay the same amount of money for a 4" iPhone 6 as is charged for the 4.7" model.

I'm truly gutted that they ignored the customers who wanted the 4" factor to remain.
  • Reply 89 of 178
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chadbag View Post

Facts are facts, man.

What is this world coming to?  We are afraid to talk about facts and observations, in fear of offending someone who is probably not even reading AI?

Facts are facts. You're racist...racist against people who couldn't speak English, against those Old Chinese people. What if those are white old americans or young people speaking English well? Would you even mention of "speaking English" in your context? The reporter already targeted those old Chinese people because they think there's no way in hell that those people would be interested in iPhone so much instead some kind of profit.

• Reply 90 of 178

10 million just because they had no more to sell!! Impressive! :)

Well done, Tim! Well done!

• Reply 91 of 178
    Quote:

Originally Posted by saarek View Post

I'd happily pay the same amount of money for a 4" iPhone 6 as is charged for the 4.7" model.

I'm truly gutted that they ignored the customers who wanted the 4" factor to remain.

Those people who want 4" phone are just remained in forum. When they actually hold they phone, none of them would buy 4" but 4.7". Therefore, by discontinuing 4" line for new phones, Apple did the right thing.

• Reply 92 of 178
    Quote:

But what about those who want a 3.5 inch model.....

Or a 2.5 inch model......

See my reasoning?

Apple can't please everyone's particular preferences.  They release a phone that will satisify the majority of their target market.

No... I don't see your reasoning because we don't know how big the market is for the 4" model.

Maybe in 2 months we can see how well the 5S did.

• Reply 93 of 178
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RadarTheKat View Post

It's always the case.  I think Cook just wanted there to be less wiggle room for those who would spin this as bad news.  Remember those 4  million pre-orders?  Those were just the first 24 hours worth of pre-orders.  Way back on Friday, the 12th. Even then, the ship dates moved out to 7-10 business days. That means some of those first 4 million, plus all pre-orders that came in after the 12th, are not yet counted.  With the 6+, delivery dates are out in mid-October.  So there's a lot of those that are not counted in the 10 million sold.  And plenty of 6's too.

True. The sale would be counted only when the product is shipped and credit card is charged. That included those shipped up to 9/19. Mine and my wife phones will be in Oct and wouldn't be counted. 

I believe Apple just want enough inventory to break previous record. If they wanted more, they could've sold 15 millions and would've ordered 15 million units for inventory, but they would want to save that number for later years.

• Reply 94 of 178
    It would be great if we could find out how the 5S sells in this quarter.

If Apple puts a 6C at the bottom of the lineup next year then that means the 4" phone is toast.

We'll never know how well an iPhone 6 mini would have sold.

Apple was smart not to bring a new entry level iPhone out this year. Right now apple will be able to capitalize on their most expensive highest margin new phones.

Next year I think we'll see 4 new phones introduced:

iPhone 6C Mini - 4 inch colorful plastic smartphone with NFC and an A8 for $449

iPhone 6C - 4.7 inch colorful plastic smartphone with NFC and an A8 for $549

iPhone 6S - 4.7 inch metal smartphone with all the latest tech and features $649

iPhone 6S Plus - 5.5 inch metal smartphone with all the latest tech and features$749
  • Reply 95 of 178
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Yes I know what it means. I just thought it was interesting Apple used the term in the press release as I don't remember them doing so in the past. I wonder though do the sales figures only include those phones that have actually shipped to consumers or are in transit? For instance if you ordered the iPhone 6+ and it's on back order 3-4 weeks does Apple include that in their sales figures? Or do they leave those out as the consumer still has the opportunity to cancel the order?

For online sales direct to consumers Apple doesn't recognize the sale until the customer receives the product. That's not when it's shipped but when it's delivered.

• Reply 96 of 178
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Interdyne View Post

I guess 1 million more is pretty good...

Yes! Especially when you consider that China was not included this year as it was last year, and that Apple had to stop filling orders because they ran out of product (there are currently long delays on orders being taken).

• Reply 97 of 178

I beginning to think Apple may had held off on China for the vary reason they may have not been able to keep up with demand. If they were able to put 10M in the hands of consumers in 3 days of sale, well we all know that Apple sold out the 10M in little over 24 hours since people on Saturday were getting Oct ship days tells you Apple and Foxconn was building products for weeks. Image the risk Apple took pre-building 10M units they must had pretty good indication they were going to sell through this many.

I wonder how many CEO this morning were pounding their fists on the table asking why they could not sell that many product that fast.

• Reply 98 of 178
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,335member
    Apple has a huge balancing act to perform with each new iPhone release. Here are a few of the factors I think about:

Rapid Response Team. Apple has a rapid response team standing by watching for any reported issues once the phones are in customers' hands. If an issue arises in the software, that's bad, but not so bad as a hardware issue. Software issues can be fixed and pushed out, but a hardware issue could imply a recall or a swap out of a large number of units. For this reason, Apple would be smart not to build too many units ahead. The company must choose a balance between customer demand and wanting to limit the exposure should a hardware problem present itself.

Start of production. Any company would like to have as much time as possible leading up to a new product introduction to ramp production and get the bugs out of the production process. Apple has to balance between ramping early and taking more time to work out production lines issues. So it's not simply a matter of starting production back in July so there will be 20+ million units on day one.

Ongoing production levels. Apple needs to scale its production capability to meet steady-state demand after an initial spike in demand around the launch of a new product. It's inefficient to build out production capacity to meet initial demand, as then you end up with idle production lines after the initial demand spike is satisfied.

I think Apple very carefully manages these issues and knows long before launch day what number they will report after first weekend sales; simply because they know they will sell every unit they produce and they control the number of units available. Skewing conservative with its supply satisfies

I think Apple very carefully manages these issues and knows long before launch day what number they will report after first weekend sales; simply because they know they will sell every unit they produce and they control the number of units available. Skewing conservative with its supply satisfies the above three issues while also creating scarcity that increases demand.

Great post! Makes absolute sense to me..
  • Reply 99 of 178
    Quote:

Heres a direct quote from the post:

"Hordes of Chinese people, many of them elderly people, waiting in line and not being able to speak one single word of English."

Some of those details was not neccessary and just paints a picuture that is slightly racist.  Again I don't think the poster was racist.  But just sounds bad. 

Calling a group of people a Horde?

Concluding that none of them could speak a single word of english?  isn't that the very defintion of predjuice?  PRE. JUDGE.?  Pre judging someone?  Thinking they can't speak English because they LOOK LIKE a Chinese National? 

No.  No.  NO.

"Horde" is just using English to give an impression of lots and lots of people.   It shows education to be able to use descriptive words.   Not speaking a single word of English is a factual observation.

If you are worried about pre-judging, maybe you should look in the mirror (in regards this thread and the post you were offended by).

Maybe if he ascribed some undesirable trait (besides scalping) due to them being Chinese, that might be prejudicial.  But describing facts and coming to a conclusion that there was a lot of Chinese scalping going on is not racist or prejudicial.

And btw, you do NOT have the right to NOT be OFFENDED.    When you take offense, look in the mirror.

• Reply 100 of 178
    Quote:

Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

Apple was smart not to bring a new entry level iPhone out this year. Right now apple will be able to capitalize on their most expensive highest margin new phones.

Next year I think we'll see 4 new phones introduced:

iPhone 6C Mini - 4 inch colorful plastic smartphone with NFC and an A8 for $449

iPhone 6C - 4.7 inch colorful plastic smartphone with NFC and an A8 for $549

iPhone 6S - 4.7 inch metal smartphone with all the latest tech and features $649

iPhone 6S Plus - 5.5 inch metal smartphone with all the latest tech and features$749

That's an interesting lineup.

I'm really torn about the 6C, though. That $100 difference has already been tried and I still don't think that Apple sold as many of the plastic phones as it had hoped... regardless of how well it might have sold.

Here we are... discussing next year's phones already.  Har!