Skype for iPhone, Google Chrome updated with iOS 8 enhancements

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2014
The avalanche of app updates bringing compatibility with Apple's latest mobile operating system continued with offerings from two of the world's largest companies on Monday, as Microsoft brought interactive notifications to Skype for iPhone and Google added app extension support to Chrome.

Skype for iPhone

Skype for iPhone makes extensive use of iOS 8's new interactive notifications, allowing users to interact with the communications service at every turn. Users can answer or decline voice and video calls directly from the local screen and Notification Center, for instance.

Banner notifications can be pulled down to respond to both multimedia calls and text messages. Microsoft also promises "general improvements" in the latest release.

Skype for iPhone version 5.5 is available now as a free, 46.7-megabyte download from the App Store.

Chrome

Perhaps the most popular alternative browser on iOS, Google's Chrome now supports third-party app extensions to share and post content. Users can send webpages directly to read-later service Pocket, for instance, or post it to LinkedIn.

Not supported, however, are manipulation extensions like that for popular password manager 1password. Google also adds general compatibility and "stability improvements and bug fixes."

Chrome version 37.0.2062.60 is available now as a free, 30.3-megabyte download from the App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    Inb4 "Microsoft and Google are the devil! I will never download their malware!"
  • Reply 2 of 28
    Originally Posted by JD MBA View Post

Inb4 "Microsoft and Google are the devil! I will never download their malware!"

Except they are.

• Reply 3 of 28
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    I stopped using Skype when they abandoned the peering model and started routing all traffic through Microsoft servers.
  • Reply 4 of 28

Skype for iPhone user interface is probably the worst I have ever seen. It should be used as an example of what NOT to do when designing an app.

• Reply 5 of 28

Awhile back I stopped using Chrome - Reader view alone is worth the switch.  Also dumped Google Maps.  Next on my list is Gmail, although that change will be difficult as I've had Gmail for years and years.  

• Reply 6 of 28

Skype may now be an IOS8 app, but I it's scaling on a iPhone6 plus .. looks like it'll need another tweak to work properly

(I also wonder if it's a 64 bit app)

The new interface just plain sucks, not to mention the 'always online' even when no application is running 

• Reply 7 of 28

Except they are.

Except they're not.
  • Reply 8 of 28
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

Skype for iPhone user interface is probably the worst I have ever seen. It should be used as an example of what NOT to do when designing an app.

So why do so many people use it? I don't get it either, I hate it. All the bloggers on podcasts seem to use it I guess it supports group conversations. 

• Reply 9 of 28
    Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

Except they're not.

I guess all that tracking that happens doesn’t actually happen, huh.

• Reply 10 of 28
    kkerst wrote: »
    So why do so many people use it? I don't get it either, I hate it. All the bloggers on podcasts seem to use it I guess it supports group conversations. 

I used it a lot before FaceTime because there were few options. Now I only use it to make international phone calls. I believe being cross platform and conference video calls are the main reasons it is still popular.
  • Reply 11 of 28

I still use Chrome. It's the easiest way to pull browser sessions and open tabs across all devices I have to use on a daily basis. 

• Reply 12 of 28
    I have been very happy with Skype and use it all the time. I would never install it on an iPhone.
  • Reply 13 of 28
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

What, no response on AI today to Eric Schmidt's misrepresentations spewed on the Diane Rehm show today?

• Reply 14 of 28
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    allenbf wrote: »
    Awhile back I stopped using Chrome - Reader view alone is worth the switch.  Also dumped Google Maps.  Next on my list is Gmail, although that change will be difficult as I've had Gmail for years and years.  

Hey man gmail is next on my list. I'm hoping Apple can develop a new email system. The whole thing just seems so 1996. This is why more people today are on Kik, Facebook messaging and plain texting.
  • Reply 15 of 28
    Quote:

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

Me too, I dumped all Google services like google drive, google maps, google+, except GMail. that's a tough one, I use ghostery , AVN, ABP and Donottrack me. I figure I have protected myself as good as I realistically can. I also enabled all google's opt outs. I don't trust that lying, evil machine. I will never touch Android, it a world of inintuitive crappy hurt and I do not like my movements be tracked. Avoid Salesforce they have a tool called "ExactTarget" which fishes Social Media and which corporate America uses to spy on customers. The only way to avoid its prying eyes is Ghostery, tell your friends. 

• Reply 16 of 28
    cpsro wrote: »
    What, no response on AI today to Eric Schmidt's misrepresentations spewed on the Diane Rehm show today?

AI has been missing so much.

They missed my favorite, an NFL announcer forgets the name of their sponsor Microsoft's tablet. Calling it the "iPad-like tools".
    XD

I'm hoping DED brings it up in a future article though.
  • Reply 17 of 28
    ibeamibeam Posts: 322member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DogCowabunga View Post

I have been very happy with Skype and use it all the time. I would never install it on an iPhone.

Why? It is really useful for making international calls to other phone, and land lines. That is all I use it for. I keep a Skype balance of a few $ and a Skype number just so they recognize the caller ID.

• Reply 18 of 28
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cali View Post

Hey man gmail is next on my list. I'm hoping Apple can develop a new email system. The whole thing just seems so 1996. This is why more people today are on Kik, Facebook messaging and plain texting.

I hear you!

I'd been using the Mailbox app and gmail.  One thing I really liked about Mailbox is the email threading...wish Apple would allow threading, but it isn't a deal breaker.  I suppose I *could* use the Mailbox app with iCloud email, but I'm nut not sure I want my email routed through Mailbox's servers any longer.  I know, I know...can't avoid some things.  But I'm kinda of tired of 'being the product.'

• Reply 19 of 28
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ibeam View Post

Why? It is really useful for making international calls to other phone, and land lines. That is all I use it for. I keep a Skype balance of a few $ and a Skype number just so they recognize the caller ID.

I agree - if you like Skype, or 'need' its features why on earth would you use it but NOT install on an iPhone?

mostly I use it to call my mom (she is>90 and lives on another continent, and my wife uses it to call her parents (she is verizon and so can't make international calls to a land line even if she wanted to

• Reply 20 of 28
    allenbf wrote: »
    I hear you!

I'd been using the Mailbox app and gmail.  One thing I really liked about Mailbox is the email threading...wish Apple would allow threading, but it isn't a deal breaker.  I suppose I *could* use the Mailbox app with iCloud email, but I'm nut not sure I want my email routed through Mailbox's servers any longer.  I know, I know...can't avoid some things.  But I'm kinda of tired of 'being the product.'

The Mail app will always be there but if we can take google out of the loop that would be better. Apple should really resurrect @me.com as an email client. I like the name and can see Apple doing cool things with it.