hypothetical question

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
you are delivered two new processor chips whose design is so revolutionary that the concept of Hz as a measure of computing power is utterly meaningless. you're mission (should you choose to accept it) is to propose a fair battery of tests to decide which of these chips is the best performer for use by Apple's current target demographic. to make things easier you may assume that cost, power consumption, cooling requirements, supply, size and weight are exactly equal.

for bonus points:

you also receive two black-box systems to test. the memory, processor graphics card etc. are all contained within the systems enclosure. also a brand new operating system is supplied with each machine. again, a fair battery of tests are required to see which is the better system for Apple's targeted demographic. note: this is not a hardware question.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    I'd choose something similar to MacUP's benchmark test, that includes:

Cinema 4D XL

Photoshop

Finder

Stuffit Deluxe

Unreal Tournament (or another game)

SoftWindows 98 (I'd use Virtual PC 5.0.1)

SoundJAM MP (iTunes)

Their results have made a lot of sense in the past and that benchmark lineup has lived through several revisions and covers many Macs from the 7200/90 up.

G-news
  • Reply 2 of 3
    spookyspooky Posts: 504member
    I'd put it next to the baddest quad processor Pc with custom graphics card and mobo and an SGI and run:

Maya

Premiere - or equivalent

Photoshop

DVD authoring software

A mean game

if it felt to me that the pc and sgi were blown out of the water no matter what I did then that's the chip for me.

In fact if it was so fast that I'd have to write or create hardware/software to slow it down then it would be a dead cert for me.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    [quote]note: this is not a hardware question.<hr></blockquote>

So I'm going to move it out of a hardware forum...

... but since it's not purely software either, I'll move it to, say, General Discussion.