Apple may end Beats Music brand, to keep subscription streaming service active [u]

Comments

• Reply 21 of 79
    The subscription services will be rolled into itunes.

Dre has no sway in the music biz.

Iovine IS the music biz. Has been for some years now.
  • Reply 22 of 79
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleinsiderFrm View Post

I just hope they haven't 'forgot about Dre.' 

• Reply 22 of 79
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    rogifan wrote: »
    The Beats brand is synonymous with headphones not streaming music. No need for Apple to have iTunes radio and Beats Music app. Might as will combine them into one streaming music service oh and while they're at it give iTunes a proper redesign.

You should be screaming "Motorola"!

Didn't you say Apple paid 3 Billion on a streaming service? Completely disregarding the headphones?

(just teasing. I see you've changed your view since then)
  • Reply 24 of 79
    really? wow. beats music is awesome. i was planning to buy a yr subscription this wk. why apple? your're leaving money on the table by canceling beats and pissing off all the developers you bought at beats. unless you rebrand it and launch it via itunes.
  • Reply 25 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

They don’t have to support it now. The app could be removed from availability and all calls/e-mails from Android users could be ignored.

Since it's a paid subscription service, I doubt many Android users are even subscribers. 

• Reply 26 of 79

As a subscriber I kinda don''t want this to happen.

• Reply 27 of 79

I just read on a different site Apple has responded to the rumors and they aren't shutting down Beats. 

EDIT: I didn't see the update at the end of the article. 

• Reply 28 of 79
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    cali wrote: »
    You should be screaming "Motorola"!

Didn't you say Apple paid 3 Billion on a streaming service? Completely disregarding the headphones?

(just teasing. I see you've changed your view since then)
    No I haven't changed my opinion. I think $3B for streaming music service is nuts. But we all know Apple justified the $3B price tag with the profitable headphones line. So that's what Apple really spent $3B on regardless what they claim.
  • Reply 29 of 79
    This is code for "We're terminating the streaming service to other platforms"
  • Reply 30 of 79

There are only a handful of people who have sway in the music business. Iovine and Dre are two of them.

They've survived the music industry for 30+ years.

They've created a brand of headphones you might have heard of.
    And
    There's something Beats has that Apple loves. It's free advertising, free media.
    Beats marketing budget the first year in business was $0. (all they lost was .50 Cent)

While Samsung spends 14Billion on advertising. Beats and Apple will have everyone else paying for them(including Sammy to an extent)
  • Reply 31 of 79
    I was just about to sign up for a trial account, the only reason I haven't yet is because we weren't sure if we would change our phone carrier...AT&T is offering a good deal on Beats plan for their customers.

Tim Cook was praising them highly in the recent interview, he said its importance was in the way ther service made him feel. I thought that was an interesting compliment. I doubt they would be shuttering the whole idea of it, after all, they didn't really pay to acquire a headphones company, did they.

I looked at the Beats interface and I really really liked it. For sure iTunes needs a major overhaul. Almost too much crammed into one service, in the sense that doing backups of all those tunes, podcasts, audiobooks, etc. into one proprietary limited database can turn into a mess. I hate it when a database like that gets corrupted.

I want to get the subscription service soon, I need to broaden my musical listening experience. Hey, what if they did the same for movies? I know Netflix already has a recommendation service but it ain't great, or rather the movies ain't great. It would be neat if human curation could tell me there are four movies in this genre that I would 'love', instead of rating every movie as a 'probably something you might like' the way Netflix does.

I wonder what they will do? Split the services up just a bit or combine them all into a new uber interface?

Apple is pretty amazing. They have no peer.
  • Reply 32 of 79
    rogifan wrote: »
    No I haven't changed my opinion. I think $3B for streaming music service is nuts. But we all know Apple justified the $3B price tag with the profitable headphones line. So that's what Apple really spent $3B on regardless what they claim.

I swear they paid for a successful headphone brand AND a streaming service.
    So you think Apple might pull a Google/Motorola?(read your post above)

But oddly, you admitted Beats was synonymous with a headphone brand so dropping the service was no big deal. Which is why I thought you finally saw the light.
  • Reply 33 of 79
    Quote:

Originally Posted by schlack View Post

really? wow. beats music is awesome. i was planning to buy a yr subscription this wk. why apple? your're leaving money on the table by canceling beats and pissing off all the developers you bought at beats. unless you rebrand it and launch it via itunes.

I agree. The beats music service is the part of beats that is actually better than the competition. It was so much easier to use than Spotify IMHO.

• Reply 34 of 79
    schlack wrote: »

It's just a rumor chill.

If Apple shuts down the service I see them giving subscribers access to iTunes streaming and returning Android users' money.

EDIT: The article update says its just a false rumor for now.
  • Reply 35 of 79
    Seriously! You knuckle heads. The music service that Beats built was and still IS key to Apple Purchasing it. From the get go you should of seen this coming regardless if Apple chooses to deny it at this point, it is completely obvious. They aren't after the Beats Music Service Product, they're after the code the runs it! Hello! Code base is what most of the tech giants are after now, not anything more. Apple can take the great algorithms, process, workflows, etc. that make Beat Music so great and just integrate it into iTunes. I'm really surprised that people would be shocked by this news...
  • Reply 36 of 79
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

I don't buy into a rumor that Apple will shut down the subscription service. They may re-brand as has been mentioned above though personally I was kinda hoping they would keep the Beats name. I like it. Regardless, I am all over an Apple branded subscription service. I want a family package, please. My family and I will get all the music we want, we'd get to discover new music and Apple will be paid much more for music on an annual basis from my wallet. Its a win win. I am not sure where the musicians stand in all this. My view is that its in nobody's interest to underpay anybody for what they do. I am looking for convenience and choice first and foremost. And I'm totally in favour of curation. 

• Reply 37 of 79
    Quote:

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

Whoa. That would be an interesting development if true. Then again, weren't there only something like 250k subscribers when Apple purchased Beats?

Good riddance - now what were those billions for again?

• Reply 38 of 79
    Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

Good riddance - now what were those billions for again?

“It’s the people, dingus!”

• Reply 39 of 79
    Good to see it's not true. I've never bought a single song since I got Spotify Premium.
  • Reply 40 of 79
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    So long as they work their humanized algorithm into their Genius Mix and iTunes Match I'll be happy.

Exactly, I suspect the plan all along was to absorb the Beats system into iTunes not maintain a separate ecosystem. That has always been the Apple MO.