After Apple's record setting launch, analysts predict iPhone 6 will win over Android switchers

Comments

• Reply 41 of 69
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

10million in one weekend (with no China), predictions of an avalanche of Android switchers, and stock is not budging. Not to mention the significance of things like Apple Pay, upcoming Yosemite, upcoming iPad launches, Macs, etc.

Fucking hilarious.

These parasitic, snivelling little shit analysts can go **** themselves. Next month they'll be predicting doom again. No vision, perspective, insight, or understanding of the market.

The entire market is down. If it wasn't, APPL would be up a few points.

• Reply 42 of 69
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    lkrupp wrote: »
    From what I’ve read Google and others are racing to make their services compatible with ?Pay. They see the handwriting on the wall. Just as in web and data iOS customers actually USE their devices while Android users don’t. 

Touch ID

iPhone 6/6+

?Pay

Swift and Xcode/Developer openness

HealthKit

?Watch

Yosemite/Spotlight Search

...Do you see what I see?
    Google has been playing Tic-Tac-Toe,
    Apple is playing chess.
  • Reply 43 of 69
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Ya' put a little ginger under his tail :D

Damn you, I just laughed tea down my nose.
  • Reply 44 of 69
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

I beg to differ. I am an android user myself and I generally switch every 6 to 12 months. Lover of technology myself. I don't see a reason to leave my M8 for either of the phones. I will miss my smooth as hell syncing and the integrated google now. I have google wallet so apple pay is Meh for me. My phone is a google play edition so upgrades are not a problem. I can't find a single reason to car for the iPhone 6 or the plus. Their will be many users who don't see many of advantages of the iPhone and many who will. We see this every six months. When Samsung releases a new phone apple loses users to it when apple comes up with a new phone Samsung loses users. I myself may buy an iPhone 6 as a backup phone if I am underwhelmed by the nexus 6.

FYI I have an iPhone 5 that sits in a cabinet due to it being no more then a backup phone. I used for a week and missed google now to much. Maybe if I get the six the HTC will go in the cabinet. I prefer to keep two devices myself.

We see marketshare shift every 6 months but I don't agree with your conclusions. Apple continually pulls marketshare away from Samsung in the high tier market while Samsung continually pulls marketshare away from everyone else in the mid and low tiers. So when you add up all marketshares, it looks like a tug of war back and forth. It might look the same to consumers but it's not at all to the investors. Soon, Samsung will lose the high end market that makes money for them. They've already lost billions in dollars in the past 3 quarters while appearing to grow in marketshare but that's only because they're selling cheap handsets to emerging markets. Now the iPhone 6 and 6+ make matters even worse. I can guarantee they are going to lose Note 4 sales to iPhone 6+ but I sincerely doubt that they will gain any Note 4 to iPhone 6+.

• Reply 45 of 69
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

It’s hard to believe these are the same analysts who were predicting doom just a few short months ago. But they may be right this time around. On tech sites like c|net the Fandroid crowd is particularly worked up and frenetic in their put-downs of Apple. I think they smell something in the air with this launch, something really different. The more shrill the critics get the more frightened they appear to be. They are running around with their hair on fire while their FUD blows back in their faces. It’s a site to see.

The reason the fandoids nerds are so outraged is now they get to feel exactly what it is like to have their stuff stolen - Neener neerner. Kinda reminds me of a 2 year old having a temper tantrum!

• Reply 46 of 69
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by spiral View Post

For me personally, the iPhone 6 is not a compelling reason to switch. I used all the iPhones from launch through iPhone 5 and switched to Android (Nexus 5, stock OS) when I realized Apple was being resistant about allowing you to use different services, and forcing you to use their browser and mail client.

I do miss the better camera, super smooth UI, and pretty hardware of the iPhone but that is about it. Android has better service integration, app handler options, and tight integration into Google (obviously). Apple makes the best hardware but they need to get with the times in the OS before I switch back.

I may have missed the sarcasm mark, 

but otherwise, it just seems like some folks

view the world with their eyes crossed...

• Reply 47 of 69
    Quote:

Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

Apparently.

• Reply 48 of 69
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    retrogusto wrote: »
    I've had my 6 (not Plus) for three days now, and I'm finding the size extremely awkward. When I pick up my 4S, it now feels futuristic to me in a way I didn't think would be possible after three years. My hands are probably slightly larger than average, but one-handed operation seems borderline impossible with the new phone, whereas I never used two hands with my old phone, so I'm probably going to have to do everything differently. My thumb can't reach the top two rows of apps on the home screen, so I filled up the top two rows with apps I rarely use, to bump everything down, since they all migrate to the (unusable) top of the screen by default. When I do have to reach the top for something, I have to loosen my grip and let the phone slide down in my hand to get there, and I've already dropped it (and barely caught it) twice. I think they should redesign the GUI so you have to touch the top of the screen as little as possible. The aluminum finish is also more slippery in my hand than the glass of my 4S. To lock/unlock the phone, you have to squeeze the bottom of the phone and push the side button with your thumb, but if you try to put a finger on the other side for better leverage, you end up pressing the volume button. Similarly, if you use the volume button for snapping a photo, you risk turning off the phone at the same time. For me, the benefits of a larger screen are insignificant compared to the inconvenience of the poor ergonomics, but this would be a problem with any phone this big, and otherwise it's obviously a great device. Maybe the 6 Plus actually does make more sense, since it's probably not much more awkward than the 6 once you resign yourself to using two hands, but you have the advantages of more screen real estate, better battery life and OIS camera. I'm contemplating trying to pick up a used 64Gb 5S, but if they're never going to offer a hand-sized phone again, maybe I might as well get used to the awkwardness.

Did you know you can tap the home button twice and the icons will shift lower so you can reach them using one hand? I was playing with that at the store.

I am also moving from a 4S to a 6.
  • Reply 49 of 69

I hope developers will start redesigning apps in such a way that the most useful features in the app will not be on top.  E.g. I certainly feel that Safari should add an option to have the url box to appear in the lower part of the screen, so I don't have to reach all the way to the top. 

• Reply 50 of 69

Spent half hour handling both models and bought 6. Main criteria; more pocketable, easier to handle, more attractive, more portable. I have iPad Air if I want more IOS screen RE and am not a road warrior requiring two day battery life. 

IMO Apple's primary raison d'être for creating its Watch is to reduce to need to interface with the unwieldy iPhone 6 Plus and slightly less cumbersome iP 6 form factors. Optical image stabilization is a plus but larger cameras require more/better image stabilization as a rule. A good argument can be made for buying either model depending on the user's size, mobility, and repertoire of other devices. 

• Reply 51 of 69
    I will say this with 100% certainty, the 6+ is Definitely a 2-handed iphone!!! No ? About it!!! I pre-ordered mine, I'm not complaining, I LOVE it! But it's impossible to use one handed!!! And I'm 6" tall and have large hands
  • Reply 52 of 69
    Oh well, Samsung.
    You still have the toaster-fridge business to fall back on.
  • Reply 53 of 69
    Ya' put a little ginger under his tail :D

Damn you, I just laughed tea down my nose.

Oh ... Sorry! I misread your OP -- thought you were positing about winning over Android swishers. :D
  • Reply 54 of 69
    jungmark wrote: »
    Did you know you can tap the home button twice and the icons will shift lower so you can reach them using one hand? I was playing with that at the store.

I am also moving from a 4S to a 6.

I've tried that, but I still find it kind of clunky if you have to do it all the time. I'd be interested to hear if a lot of you are finding it useful.
  • Reply 55 of 69
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotmar View Post

I went to the store yesterday, and after trying iphone 6 and 6 , I felt the is too big and awkward, so I preordered the 6. But whenever I do not hold the phone, I always feel that I will regret getting a smaller one, due to battery and bigger screen. Am I making a mistake, or is it just perception due to hype over the ? Logically it makes sense to get a smaller one, as I talk on the phone alot so its more comfortable to hold, and the phone is always in my front pocket.

I was waiting in line when they told us the Plus was sold out.  I went into the store to see the phones and actually handle them.  The Plus is giant and not really what I need.  I came to the realization that the bigger size was for people who want a phablet, not necessarily the one to have because it is perceived as being better than the 6.  Other than the optical stabilization, there isn't any feature I am missing out on. I'm happy with the 6.

• Reply 56 of 69
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by spiral View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

Apparently.

oooh...I missed it again

• Reply 57 of 69

My comment about my use of Android was not sarcasm. I gave a personal and reasoned response to an article. I'm not sure what you did.

• Reply 58 of 69
    Quote:

I will say this with 100% certainty, the 6+ is Definitely a 2-handed iphone!!! No ? About it!!! I pre-ordered mine, I'm not complaining, I LOVE it! But it's impossible to use one handed!!! And I'm 6" tall and have large hands.

• Reply 59 of 69

Apple only sold 10 million phones the first weeks, so there is only one conclusion we can draw: Android's winning. ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha 

• Reply 60 of 69

Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Why? Well, the optical stabilization is better than the electronic version. I use my phone to take a lot of pictures, and some video, so that matters a lot to me.

Go to technobuffalo and watch the video comparison. You will not really see any difference except the 6+ focuses 1,000 of a second faster.