Rumor: Next-gen iPad Air to debut in October, Retina iPad mini in early 2015

Posted:
in iPad edited September 2014
A rumor out of East Asia on Monday claims mass production of Apple's "iPad Air 2" starts this month ahead of an October release, while the second-generation iPad mini with Retina display could be pushed back into 2015.

iPad Air

Citing sources familiar with the matter, Taiwan's Commercial Times reports Apple's iPad Air 2 is slated for release next month, but will not debut alongside a revamped iPad mini as some expected.

Instead of the usual two-device iPad launch, the publication claims Apple is looking to position the next-gen 7.9-inch iPad mini reveal for the first quarter of 2015. The timeline is a bit suspicious given Apple's most recent iPad release cycle, as well as informed reports pointing to a simultaneous release with the iPad Air 2.

Not much is known about the next-generation iPad Air, but the overall design is thought to remain largely unchanged based on supposed parts leaks. The second-gen version is thought to include Apple's Touch ID fingerprint recognition hardware, the new A8 system-on-chip and M8 motion coprocessor.

In addition to the iPad Air and iPad mini, the report goes on to say that a larger 12.9-inch "iPad Pro" will hit the production line sometime in quarter two, with a launch soon to follow. Apple has long been rumored to be working on a jumbo sized tablet and the most recent rumors are in line with an early 2015 debut.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    I hope the iPad Plus will be ready by this holiday season.
  • Reply 2 of 40

Yep, just like the 5.5” iPhone wouldn’t come out at the same time as the real one.

Eh, I’ll probably drop it eventually. And no, not ‘eventually’ as in ‘just like the 5.5” iPhone wouldn’t come out at the same time as the real one.’

• Reply 3 of 40
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    My question is will Apple pull a big boner and deliver to us a iPad Air with only 1GB of RAM? To say I was disappointed with the iPhone release is an understatement. However RAM is even more critical in the iPad, if it comes with only 1GB I'd be pissed royally.

So in this respect I'm expecting an A8X variant of this years processor. We really need the extra RAM. A 2GHz A8 would be nice too.

As for the split debut, why would they do that. The only reason I could see is that they are gambling on an early 2015 source of 14 nm parts.
  • Reply 4 of 40
    Apple will not put 2GB of RAM in an iOS device until they can get LPDDR4. I could be wrong but doubt it.

iOS 8 fixed the tab refresh issues on my Air, I feel like 1GB is fine now. Not perfect, but not compromising performance seriously.

My only complaint is that the iPhone 6 makes the Air look really dated, both from a screen aspect (display should be laminated to the cover glass by now) and from an asthetic aspect.
  • Reply 5 of 40
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Apple will not put 2GB of RAM in an iOS device until they can get LPDDR4. I could be wrong but doubt it.

iOS 8 fixed the tab refresh issues on my Air, I feel like 1GB is fine now. Not perfect, but not compromising performance seriously.

My only complaint is that the iPhone 6 makes the Air look really dated, both from a screen aspect (display should be laminated to the cover glass by now) and from an asthetic aspect.
    iOS 8 didn't fix it on my Air. If Safari performance isn't greatly improved on the new iPad I'll skip this generation. iPads need more ram. Or Apple needs to redesign Safari so it isn't such a dog on the iPad. Or both.
  • Reply 6 of 40

I think this means there are going to be lots of options, lots of things to personalize the tech that fits your style. And of course, your wallet and your perceived value.

This is all getting very interesting to watch. My wife's iPad 2 needs an update, but prioritizing this based on the work she needs to do takes some discussion and analysis. She has a 13" MBA as well, so deciding on what capability she need takes some thinking. All this of course is unneeded if you have an unlimited budget. 

I think there is going to be a grand reveal in October though. Yosemite is due out along with the functionality due in iOS8. More details on Apple Watch probably too. We've been told Apple Watch rather requires iPhone, but what about linking to an iPad with a standalone data plan? Or a Mac? No idea what that might be for, but making it available to consumers offers more flexibility. 

• Reply 7 of 40
    wizard69 wrote: »
    My question is will Apple pull a big boner and deliver to us a iPad Air with only 1GB of RAM? To say I was disappointed with the iPhone release is an understatement. However RAM is even more critical in the iPad, if it comes with only 1GB I'd be pissed royally.

So in this respect I'm expecting an A8X variant of this years processor. We really need the extra RAM. A 2GHz A8 would be nice too.

As for the split debut, why would they do that. The only reason I could see is that they are gambling on an early 2015 source of 14 nm parts.

If they can optimise the OS, they might even plump for 512MB of RAM. I'm sure most would be happy with that.

Hope you don't burst a blood vessel.
  • Reply 8 of 40

An updated iPad Air 2 / iPad mini Retina aren't enough, by themselves, to hold a keynote.  Maybe a next-gen Apple TV? 4K iMac?  Unless there's something relatively significant, it's possible there may not be another keynote this year.

• Reply 9 of 40
    Originally Posted by CanukStorm View Post

An updated iPad Air 2 / iPad mini Retina aren't enough, by themselves, to hold a keynote.

Why?

• Reply 10 of 40
    eightzero wrote: »
    I think this means there are going to be lots of options, lots of things to personalize the tech that fits your style. And of course, your wallet and your perceived value.

This is all getting very interesting to watch. My wife's iPad 2 needs an update, but prioritizing this based on the work she needs to do takes some discussion and analysis. She has a 13" MBA as well, so deciding on what capability she need takes some thinking. All this of course is unneeded if you have an unlimited budget. 

I think there is going to be a grand reveal in October though. Yosemite is due out along with the functionality due in iOS8. More details on Apple Watch probably too. We've been told Apple Watch rather requires iPhone, but what about linking to an iPad with a standalone data plan? Or a Mac? No idea what that might be for, but making it available to consumers offers more flexibility. 

You raise an interesting point about data.

I feel that the data on an iPad is a kludge. Seeing as almost everyone with an iPad also owns an iPhone, would it not make sense for Apple to assimilate the data somehow? It makes no sense for me to pay extra for iPad data when I can simply use my iPhone data via Personal Hotspot. Hence, the GPS iPad is pretty redundant.

I hope the big iPad comes next month, too.
  • Reply 11 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Why?

Generally, as you know, Apple keynotes last at least an hour, lately a lot longer.  Updating the iPad line with Touch ID & A8 SoC aren't exactly going to fill that time slot.  Those are the kinds of upgrades that can be done in a press release.

• Reply 12 of 40
    canukstorm wrote: »

Generally, as you know, Apple keynotes last at least an hour, lately a lot longer.  Updating the iPad line with Touch ID & A8 SoC aren't exactly going to fill that time slot.  Those are the kinds of upgrades that can be done in a press release.

That's why you pair it with a Yosemite launch, just like last year when they paired it with Mavericks. They could also announce new iPods.
  • Reply 13 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

That's why you pair it with a Yosemite launch, just like last year when they paired it with Mavericks. They could also announce new iPods.

There was a big keynote at WWDC for Yosemite.  To do a keynote and rehash Yosemite features seems redundant.  And boring.  As for iPods, I guess it's possible Apple could make a 5.5" iPod Touch focused on gaming, assuming they can get decent yields for their screens.

• Reply 14 of 40
    canukstorm wrote: »

There was a big keynote at WWDC for Yosemite.  To do a keynote and rehash Yosemite features seems redundant.  And boring.  As for iPods, I guess it's possible Apple could make a 5.5" iPod Touch focused on gaming, assuming they can get decent yields for their screens.

Well, it's exactly what they did last year(apart from the iPods), so...I guess you're in for boring!

They might also discuss a few more details about Apple Pay, possibly announce the update for the iPhones 6 is available that day. I wouldn't expect much more on Apple Watch until the launch.
  • Reply 15 of 40
    Originally Posted by CanukStorm View Post

Generally, as you know, Apple keynotes last at least an hour, lately a lot longer.  Updating the iPad line with Touch ID & A8 SoC aren't exactly going to fill that time slot.

12.7” iPad.

• Reply 16 of 40
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">Generally, as you know, Apple keynotes last at least an hour, lately a lot longer.  Updating the iPad line with Touch ID

12.7” iPad.

Tsck. 13".
  • Reply 17 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

12.7” iPad.

I thought about that but most of the signs ( or rumors) point to an early 2015 release for that product.  Unless Apple really surprises and releases it next month, fantastic.  That alone would be worth the keynote.

• Reply 18 of 40
    Yep, just like the 5.5” iPhone wouldn’t come out at the same time as the real one.
    Eh, I’ll probably drop it eventually. And no, not ‘eventually’ as in ‘just like the 5.5” iPhone wouldn’t come out at the same time as the real one.’
    I thought that, apple keeps IPads once a year, they won't change it.
    wizard69 wrote: »

pretty sure apples left those days, but could be wrong, still ram should not be a buying factor. If it comes with 1 gb or 2 or 3, don't see much of an impact due to the 1 GB based IOS.
  • Reply 19 of 40
    If this is true I wonder if they are looking to lauch something along with the apple watch
  • Reply 20 of 40
    terun78 wrote: »
    If this is true I wonder if they are looking to lauch something along with the apple watch

Yep, I'm not sure the Watch will hold its own at launch. The original iPhone only got one keynote. Perhaps they'll introduce an updated Airport Express in gold to go alongside it.

I was thinking also of an updated Sim ejector tool for the iPad in gold, but that would need a whole keynote to itself.