Apple's iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus use H.265 codec for FaceTime over cellular

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 78
    Complete OT post, but it's a Sunday

1) On the topic of the Apple logo, yes, ? < that one, it apparently has ™ protection, but I don't think it's being enforced when used on the Internet (otherwise, why would they map it to Shift-Option-k?):
    http://www.unicode.org/Public/MAPPINGS/VENDORS/APPLE/CORPCHAR.TXT

[quote]# The following (1) is for the Mac OS Roman encoding
    # (also used in Symbol & Croatian).
    # NOTE: The graphic image associated with the Apple logo character is
    # not authorized for use without permission of Apple, and unauthorized
    # use might constitute trademark infringement.
    0xF8FF # Apple logo # Roman-0xF0, Symbol-0xF0, Croatian-0xD8
    [/quote]

2) You can enter the Apple logo on iOS as well by pasting the character in a Note on the Mac. Copy and paste the character into the shortcuts/phrases field. When I type aapl on my iPhone I get ?.

3) While searching I came across the "NCMUG Video SIG: A Tribute to Steve" which made me pink away a tear, so don't watch if you're a softy:

I'm still looking for the Apple logo which isn't filled in. Like we used to have on our keyboards...

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/48810/width/50/height/100[/IMG]
  • Reply 62 of 78
    crowley wrote: »
    The i-branding is almost 20 years old now, and it has been mocked as meaningless old hat for a large proportion of that time.

I remember being disappointed they were keeping the i around for iPhone, so no; this is a welcome move.  Can't say I'm a fan of the ALL CAPS though.

For the iPhone the Internet prefix (i) made sense as it's marketed as a useful internet device. The watch however to a lesser extend, so I'm glad it isn't called iWatch. So yeah, I agree.

I don't like cOCK sLAP either. Strange that they don't use all caps on their PR page:
    http://www.apple.com/pr/products/apple-watch/Apple-Watch.html
  • Reply 63 of 78
    HEVC = High Efficiency Video Codec
  • Reply 64 of 78
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I'm still looking for the Apple logo which isn't filled in. Like we used to have on our keyboards...

I still call command Open Apple all the time. I’ve gotten over Closed Apple for Option, though.

• Reply 65 of 78
    philboogie wrote: »
    Complete OT post, but it's a Sunday

1) On the topic of the Apple logo, yes, ? < that one, it apparently has ™ protection, but I don't think it's being enforced when used on the Internet (otherwise, why would they map it to Shift-Option-k?):
    http://www.unicode.org/Public/MAPPINGS/VENDORS/APPLE/CORPCHAR.TXT
    2) You can enter the Apple logo on iOS as well by pasting the character in a Note on the Mac. Copy and paste the character into the shortcuts/phrases field. When I type aapl on my iPhone I get ?.

1) I would definitely argue that Apple adding it to their keyboard layout and making it a Unicode character means that we are allowed to use it as text anywhere and anytime we choose.

2) Great idea with the iPhone shortcut. I was thinking I'd have to install TextExpander or something for iPhone in order to make that work.

edit: I will use a different shortcut phrase than you since I use AAPL to refer to the stock symbol often. I just made it 'aaa' since all my TextExpander shortcuts are all based on repeating the same three letters in a row. Most of my TextExpander shortcuts are for this forum so I can respond faster with a nicer formatting. For example, 'xxx' will make this multiplication symbol '×', 'vvv' will make this YouTube video format with the timestamp parameter ({VIDEO]{/VIDEO]) that we figured out works properly with Huddler, and a quick way to split a comment when replying ({/QUOTE ] return, return, return {QUOTE]), note that the quote is opposite of Huddler's quote setup but starting with the close quote and ending with the open quote.
  • Reply 66 of 78
    @shotgun you're mixing things. cpu is 50x times faster than in the first iphone, gpu 83x faster.
    (I always wonder how they benchmark that.. :) )
  • Reply 67 of 78
    For anyone that wants to make life a bit easier for themselves on iOS when typing the ? logo, goto the following site in iOS Safari and add it to your home screen:

[URL=http://mrgan.com/gb]http://mrgan.com/gb[/URL]

That will give you what you need.

Posted from my iPad
  • Reply 68 of 78
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MagMan1979 View Post

For anyone that wants to make life a bit easier for themselves on iOS when typing the ? logo, goto the following site in iOS Safari and add it to your home screen:

http://mrgan.com/gb

That will give you what you need.

Posted from my iPad

I hope Apple add ? to their emoji set in iOS 8.

• Reply 69 of 78

Why would they when it's already a Unicode character? You mean add the Unicode character to the Emoji keyboard even though it's not Emoji?
  • Reply 70 of 78
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

The i-branding is almost 20 years old now, and it has been mocked as meaningless old hat for a large proportion of that time.

I remember being disappointed they were keeping the i around for iPhone, so no; this is a welcome move.  Can't say I'm a fan of the ALL CAPS though.

Interesting how history repeats itself, ala NEXTSTEP!  :smokey:  Of course that capitalization changed a number times over the years too...  

• Reply 71 of 78
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Why would they when it's already a Unicode character? You mean add the Unicode character to the Emoji keyboard even though it's not Emoji?

I can't find it in iOS - how do you type it? Option shift k on a Mac, I know. The Emoji keyboard offers a lot more than just emoji.

• Reply 72 of 78
    I can't find it in iOS - how do you type it? Option shift k on a Mac, I know. The Emoji keyboard offers a lot more than just emoji.

Following [@]Philboogie[/@]'s lead I created a Shortcut in Settings » General » Keyboards so I have it appear as needed.
  • Reply 73 of 78
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Following @Philboogie's lead I created a Shortcut in Settings » General » Keyboards so I have it appear as needed.

That's a nifty workaround! I notice that he uses aapl as a shortcut, but I might try aa - other than aardvark, there can't be too many words containing aa! Apple ought to add it to the emoji keyboard in iOS 8, anyway.

• Reply 74 of 78
    That's a nifty workaround! I notice that he uses aapl as a shortcut, but I might try aa - other than aardvark, there can't be too many words containing aa! Apple ought to add it to the emoji keyboard in iOS 8, anyway.
    Love that workaround! Just used the character out of Glyhboard and put it in as a shortcut, and works like a charm! Gonna be using the ? much more now 8-)
  • Reply 75 of 78
    magman1979 wrote: »
    Love that workaround! Just used the character out of Glyhboard and put it in as a shortcut, and works like a charm! Gonna be using the ? much more now 8-)

You just gave me an idea. Use a Emoji character that you would otherwise never use to call the Apple symbol from the shortcut. Emoji offers both a red and green Apple. This would also place it in your commonly used Emoji screen for quick access.

edit: Drats!

• Reply 76 of 78
    solipsismx wrote: »
    magman1979 wrote: »

You just gave me an idea. Use a Emoji character that you would otherwise never use to call the Apple symbol from the shortcut. Emoji offers both a red and green Apple. This would also place it in your commonly used Emoji screen for quick access.

Nice idea, but I think you've just found out that you can't do it with the built-in emoji.
  • Reply 77 of 78
    I still call command Open Apple all the time. I’ve gotten over Closed Apple for Option, though.

History doesn't help here either

1) ... we are allowed to use it as text

2) ... TextExpander ...

1: good point

2: handy tool. And clever implementation of quoting here from an iPhone!

Use pine instead¡
  • Reply 78 of 78

H.265 is a new video format. H.265 only take small memory.

For example, one 22GB Blu-ray movie to convert to H.265, the memory will change to appox. 5GB. So a DVD/BD Converter is need to use, TDMore DVD Converter, TDMore Blu-ray Converter.;)

According to our testing, H.265 video will reduce the output video size by up to 50%, and the video quality can be even higher.

More info: http://www.tdmore.com/news/11