Support for Verizon's VoLTE 'HD Voice' and video calls confirmed for iPhone 6 & iPhone 6 Plus

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 56
    There is a bit of misinformation here. Though VoLTE is available for the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus when enabled both on the account and on the device, the video feature is NOT YET SUPPORTED for the phones -- for whatever reason, Verizon and/or Apple have delayed the video feature (VZW says that it will come with a future update). Video on VoLTE is only available on the SAMSUNG Galaxy S5 and the LG G3, the only non-iPhone devices that support VoLTE.
  • Reply 42 of 56
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Former AT&T user, as of this week.  I started with AT&T the day the 3GS was released. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

I just hope the f_cktards at AT&T get on the VoLTE bandwagon in 2015, as they say.

And wi-fi calling would be huge. For me, anyway.

Rarely get more than 2 or 3 bars, sometimes "No signal" where I live.

(But I have a 50Mbps Comcast Xfininty cable internet pipe and Airport Extreme.)

Hard for AT&T to get on the VoLTE bandwagon with the sorryassed excuse of an LTE network they currently have.  That's why they have to roll this out city by city.

Years back when Verizon was undergoing the (frankly massive) effort to upgrade their 3G towers to LTE, AT&T fiddled with HSPA+ (their fake "4G"), in order to make their map look better.

Worst of all, AT&T believes their LTE network is adequate.  AT&T exec Ralph de la Vega told investors as much this week:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ralph de la Vega

"We don't have a burning desire or need for coverage," de la Vega said Friday at an investor conference. "Other operators with less coverage may pursue it more aggressively."

If that doesn't make you jump ship, nothing will.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

Simultaneous iPhone voice and data, 7 years after AT&T started doing it.

Yeah, ya know, over the past five years, 100% of the time when I've been unable to get a cell data signal on AT&T, simultaneous voice and data hasn't counted for sh!t. 

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DarkVader View Post

So switch to T-Mobile.  They're better anyway, and they cost less.

Thanks for pointing out the one network with worse LTE coverage than AT&T.  We wouldn't want them to feel left out.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Not one single carrier uses LTE for phone calls. It's used purely for data.

This was true until this week, when Verizon rolled out VoLTE nationally.

Also, AT&T doesn't provide simultaneous LTE data and voice.  As soon as a call comes in, AT&T drops the data connection down to HSPA+ at best (their so-called "4G", which is actually 3G). 

This is simple to test for yourselves: Find an LTE data signal, call your cell phone, and watch "LTE" drop to "4G" (3G IRL) in the status bar.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Panoptician View Post

I'll point out that flagship Android phones on Verizon have been able to do simultaneous voice and data for a couple of years now without using VoLTE. They have an extra LTE antenna for this purpose, but Apple didn't think it necessary to include one.

Exactly.  CDMA Rev. B has supported this for a few years now, and Verizon was on board early on.  The sad truth is that the iPhone could've had simultaneous voice and data going all the way back to the Verizon iPhone 4S, but Apple has steadfastly refused to add the additional antenna that many Android phones have in order to make that work.  It's an Apple "form over function" issue, not a Verizon network issue.

• Reply 43 of 56
    john.b wrote: »
    Exactly.  CDMA Rev. B has supported this for a few years now, and Verizon was on board early on.  The sad truth is that the iPhone could've had simultaneous voice and data going all the way back to the Verizon iPhone 4S, but Apple has steadfastly refused to add the additional antenna that many Android phones have in order to make that work.  It's an Apple "form over function" issue, not a Verizon network issue.

That's incorrect, VZW decided it was better to invest in LTE rather than upgrade their network to Rev. B.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/09/21/verizon-chooses-lte-for-4g-network-hell-freezes-over/

Edit: good info on VZW's upgrade path

http://business.verizonwireless.com/content/b2b/en/4glte/4gltefaqs.html
  • Reply 44 of 56

Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ralph de la Vega

"We don't have a burning desire or need for coverage," de la Vega said Friday at an investor conference. "Other operators with less coverage may pursue it more aggressively."

If that doesn't make you jump ship, nothing will.

Hey Ralph: I have a burning desire for Wi-Fi calling.

Maybe that will compensate for AT&T's sh*tty coverage.

• Reply 45 of 56
    So far, I have enabled Adv Calling and turned VoLTE on; as have a handful of my Verizon friends. No difference in call quality, and data while on a call is sub 3G speeds. When not on a call, LTE is plenty fast. Reception is very good here in VA.
  • Reply 46 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

Now that I see the 6 Plus next to the iPad mini and VoIP , VoLTE, et al are enabled, why can't the iPads be used as phones? Besides Apples arbitrary decision to dictate the size of a device they manufacture that can be used as a phone. It seems to allow LTE voice calls, one MUST be able to use the device hands free. I just don't get it. Now that Apple has jumped the shark with the 6 Plus, why have any restrictions now on what can be used as a phone? If it has an LTE radio, let it make and receive cellular phone calls and texts. Unless Apple is afraid of cannibalization? But surely Tim Cook has assured us he's not afraid any of Apples unique products doing that?

I'm with you. Why NOT make the iPad voice capable? I use a headset for calls on my iPhone anyway, it wouldn't be any different with an iPad.

I'd even take it a step further. I'd like a MacBook Air with cellular capability so I can use it like an iPad in the field. It would be really cool if it could also be my phone for the day! Just pop the SIM out of the iPhone and into the computer. I'd have one less device to haul around all day.

EDIT: It just occurred to me that maybe Continuity or whatever the heck it's called will get me halfway there -- do I understand correctly that, as long as I have a suitable iPhone nearby, I *will* be able to make old-fashioned telephone calls via my Mac?

• Reply 47 of 56
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkVader View Post

Because you're one of three people on the planet who wants that, maybe?

Ugh.  The iPhone 6 is way too big, the 6 plus is stupid big.  Only an idiot would want to hold an iPad up to his head.

1. How do you know anything about how many people want ANYTHING? Maybe lots of people would like that feature. How would you know?

2. The current iPhone sizes are fine. You're too small.

3. There are lots of ways to make a phone call that don't include holding a device to your head. This is 2014. Try to keep up.

4. Why would anyone care if the way they communicate looks stupid to YOU? Or to anyone else, for that matter?

5. If I choose to hold a big device to my head, I'm an idiot according to you? If there was any reason for me to be concerned with your opinion I'd probably respond to that with a virtual punch in the nose.

• Reply 48 of 56
    tenlytenly Posts: 710member
    mac_128 wrote: »
    Exactly, so what's the hangup over allowing the iPad hardware to make and receive cell phone calls?

The 6 plus already doe sings with its screen that neither the iPhones nor the iPads can do. So now there's three discreet software packages Apple has to support (not counting the Touch). So my feeling is, just make iOS universal with respect to the phone and let the consumer decide if the 6 Plus is as big as they want to go with a phone.

This is as arbitrary to me as Apple not including the same Calculator App on the iPad as they do on the phone -- so what, people who use iPads shouldn't need a calculator, or is Apple saying people should only use their phones for that?

I agree. If the existing hardware supports it, why not enable all of the capabilities and let people decide for themselves how they want to use the device. I'm sure we would see the odd person holding up the full size iPad and talking into it, but why should it matter if we think they look stupid - if it works for them - have at it!
  • Reply 49 of 56
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    darkvader wrote: »

So switch to T-Mobile.  They're better anyway, and they cost less.

I would switch to T-Mobile in a heartbeat if they actually were in any way better than AT&T
  • Reply 50 of 56
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    I can safely conclude from this thread that not one person has any idea how VoLTS works... Including the carriers.
  • Reply 51 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

That's incorrect, VZW decided it was better to invest in LTE rather than upgrade their network to Rev. B.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/09/21/verizon-chooses-lte-for-4g-network-hell-freezes-over/

Edit: good info on VZW's upgrade path

http://business.verizonwireless.com/content/b2b/en/4glte/4gltefaqs.html

Links are nice, but real-world is better.  Here's the test I ran: 

• From my company-issued Verizon Galaxy S4*, verify WiFi is off, then call my iPhone.

• On the S4, fire up ESPN and stream the first recent video over a minute in length (no caching).

• Put the S4 in a glass bowl (to amplify the audio), then listen to the streaming audio on my iPhone.

Obviously, the year-old Sammy Galaxy S4 can talk and surf at the same time on the Verizon network, so why can't the iPhone?

Because Apple wouldn't add an additional antenna to their Verizon model to support it.

Ability to talk and surf on a CDMA smartphone isn't a Verizon problem, it's an Apple problem.

* It is impossible to state in mere words how much I hate the Sammy Android phones.

• Reply 52 of 56
    john.b wrote: »
    Links are nice, but real-world is better.  Here's the test I ran: 
    • From my company-issued Verizon Galaxy S4*, verify WiFi is off, then call my iPhone.
    • On the S4, fire up ESPN and stream the first recent video over a minute in length (no caching).
    • Put the S4 in a glass bowl (to amplify the audio), then listen to the streaming audio on my iPhone.

Obviously, the year-old Sammy Galaxy S4 can talk and surf at the same time on the Verizon network, so why can't the iPhone?

Because Apple wouldn't add an additional antenna to their Verizon model to support it.

Ability to talk and surf on a CDMA smartphone isn't a Verizon problem, it's an Apple problem.

* It is impossible to state in mere words how much I hate the Sammy Android phones.

I'm not going to read this article again but as I recall it backs up your point about the lack of the additional antenna.

Note: Apple already had to add a 3rd antenna just to get the iPhone 4 on Verizon (CDMA).

edit: I was writing radio instead of antenna for some reason. Now fixed.
  • Reply 53 of 56
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I'm not going to read this article again but as I recall it backs up your point about the lack of the additional radio.
    Note: Apple already had to add a 3rd radio just to get the iPhone 4 on Verizon (CDMA).

Thanks, SolipsismX!

TL;DR: Inability to simultaneously talk and surf on a Verizon iPhone was an Apple problem, not a Verizon problem.

• Reply 54 of 56
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

I can safely conclude from this thread that not one person has any idea how VoLTS works... Including the carriers.

"VoLTE"

• Reply 55 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

I would switch to T-Mobile in a heartbeat if they actually were in any way better than AT&T

T-Mobile USA trails AT&T in coverage, but in some locations their LTE speeds are much better than AT&T. 

The problem is no one here can tell you how well T-Mobile LTE speeds will be compared to AT&T in the places where you find yourself most frequently. You need to figure that out yourself. Ask friends, family, colleagues, etc.

For sure, in my area (Silicon Valley), T-Mobile has poorer coverage, particularly in less inhabited areas (like the Santa Cruz Mountains). Even at home, AT&T has better signal power than T-Mobile. I know this because I've used AT&T, T-Mobile, as well as AT&T MVNOs and T-Mobile MVNOs.

Despite all the shortcomings of T-Mobile's service, it happens to be good enough for me, at least in the vast majority of places where I typically use my phone. I have an unsubsidized handset and use prepaid service, so I can switch carriers at any moment. I'm not handcuffed to any mobile operator (plus I can travel internationally and swap SIMs with zero concern).

You need to do the research and decide for yourself.

Good luck.

• Reply 56 of 56
    Verizon's VoLTE service *will* work to phones using other carriers, as well as phones not compatible with VoLTE. It will not be the best quality, however, it will still go over the LTE network enabling simultaneous talk and surf, which is really all I care about. So as long as YOU have a VoLTE capable phone, it doesn't matter who you're calling, the call will still go over the LTE network. (Figured this out from experience as an iPhone 6 owner on Verizon calling my dad who has a GS4)