Apple says iOS 8 already on 46% of devices, nears iOS 7 distribution levels

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2014
Less than one week after iOS 8 was made available for download, Apple on Tuesday announced the next-generation mobile operating system is now on 46 percent of devices linked to the iOS App Store.

As noted on Apple's developer support portal for iOS App Store metrics, iOS 8 has enjoyed rapid adoption since its launch on Sept. 17, with some 46 percent of devices now running the mobile operating system.

The quick uptake means the number of iPhones, iPads and iPod touch units running the outgoing iOS 7 has dropped to 49 percent of the whole as of Sept. 21. Earlier versions of iOS complete the tally with a 5 percent share.

Apple's iOS 8 is tracking well compared with previous version releases, including last year's iOS 7 launch that managed to garner a 52 percent Web share after one week of availability, according to ad network Chitika. The firm monitored iOS 7 adoption over the past year and reported that distribution hit up to 90 percent for iPhones and 85 percent for iPads in the days leading up to Apple's iOS 8 reveal at WWDC in May.

Helped along by brisk iPhone 6 and 6 Plus sales, it appears Cupertino's latest mobile OS is being welcomed by users eager to take advantage of all-new features like the HealthKit and HomeKit frameworks, access to iCloud Drive, interactive notifications and app extensibility, among others.

Those interested in upgrading their device to iOS 8 can do so by running Software Update under Settings > General or connecting to iTunes via a Mac or Windows PC. To go along with Apple's latest iOS release, AppleInsider compiled a selection of tips and how-to guides covering some of the best new features.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 70
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    My experience with IOS 8 on an iPhone 5s and an iPad Air so far has left me looking forward to the bug fixing first and second iterations. Crashes, frozen apps and little annoyances keep appearing. Anyone else found this to be the case? The OS is by no means unusable but buggy enough I suggest to friends and family to hold off for the time being.
  • Reply 2 of 70

!!!!

My iPhone 5S works very well with iOS8

• Reply 3 of 70
    It is a bit buggy on my 5c and iPad Air but still usable so I still suggest to update
  • Reply 4 of 70
    Any bugs I experience with iOS 8 are solely due to third party app developers not having their crAPP together in time
  • Reply 5 of 70
    I'm looking forward to installing iOS8 on my iPhone (it already works very well on my iPad); the only problem is that I have an 8Gb iPhone4S and I'm struggling to release enough storage.

OS updates were a major reason I moved to iOS last year so I'll definitely be installing one way or another.
  • Reply 6 of 70
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

My experience with IOS 8 on an iPhone 5s and an iPad Air so far has left me looking forward to the bug fixing first and second iterations. Crashes, frozen apps and little annoyances keep appearing. Anyone else found this to be the case? The OS is by no means unusable but buggy enough I suggest to friends and family to hold off for the time being.

Not yet - iPhone 5, iPad Mini, iPhone 6...

• Reply 7 of 70
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Any bugs I experience with iOS 8 are solely due to third party app developers not having their crAPP together in time

You must not use Safari then. :lol:
  • Reply 8 of 70

Yup, there sure is a log of bugs. I'm having fun ironing out the iOS8 bugs on my current app today. :(

• Reply 9 of 70

Same here
  • Reply 10 of 70
    paxman wrote: »

Haven't experienced any bugs yet. OS running just fine on my iPhone 6.
  • Reply 11 of 70
    Safari on an iPad3 not so good - frequently slows right down and often freezes altogether.
  • Reply 12 of 70
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    paxman wrote: »

iOS 8.0 has been a lot more stable on my iPhone 5 and iPad mini than 7.0 was.
  • Reply 13 of 70
    I've had a few bugs typing in ios8 sometimes when I turn to landscape the digitizer won't recognize input on one side of the screen. This happens with videos also. Bluetooth is also a problem with some devices.
  • Reply 14 of 70
    dfdfdfdfdfdfdfd
  • Reply 15 of 70

up to I looked at the bank draft for $6460 , I have faith that...my... best friend was like realy earning money in their spare time from there new laptop. . there aunt haz done this for under fourteen months and just repaid the depts on there appartment and got Lotus Elise . go to this website.....................w­­w­w.W­o­r­k­s2­3.u­s

• Reply 16 of 70

up to I looked at the bank draft for $6460 , I have faith that...my... best friend was like realy earning money in their spare time from there new laptop. . there aunt haz done this for under fourteen months and just repaid the depts on there appartment and got Lotus Elise . go to this website.....................w­­w­w.W­o­r­k­s2­3.u­s

• Reply 17 of 70
    It's more stable than 7.1.2 was, which was very buggy for me. I went ahead and restored my Air yesterday (hadn't done it since purchase, which was a few days after launch) and it cleared up some lingering Safari quirks. Flipboard seems to be the one app that I use that is buggy.

I do still have an issue with multifinger swipes not always being recognized.

I think it took a bit because 1: There were a lot of iPhone 4 owners waiting for the launch of the iPhone 6; and 2: because a lot of people had to connect it to iTunes to do the update. I personally needed 6.9GB of free space on my Air (not fun on a 16GB model).

Either way, I've seen it running on two 5C's, a 5S, my Air, and an iPhone 6. Haven't heard any complaints from my family, I just spent a little time explaining the new features and that was it. Some, like voice iMessages, they got on their own. Being able to respond to notifications using the actual notification took some training, but was liked overall.
  • Reply 18 of 70
    I have noticed some slowness on my third generation iPad but it needs replacing anyway. May try doing a hard reset on it to see if that helps. Other then that, it has been a great update so far. The issue some have with change overall and specifically with the Photos app notwithstanding.
  • Reply 19 of 70
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

And because there are 100-150 million more devices now than 1 year ago....it has actually far exceed iOS 7 adoption rates....but no one sees fit to mention that.

46% of 700 million and 850 million are not the same thing.

• Reply 20 of 70
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    apg113 wrote: »

I'd suggest you do a wipe from iTunes and start over.