Apple again taps Justin Timberlake and Jimmy Fallon for new iPhone 6 ads

Comments

• Reply 21 of 50
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Really bad.
    I thought it was an Apple bashing ad at first then realized it was just plain stupid- and not cool.
  • Reply 22 of 50
    patsupatsu Posts: 430member
    I think that's the point. Apple is not trying to be cool here. They also didn't show the face of the celebs.

They are just having fun. Don't be so uptight.
  • Reply 23 of 50
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

What happens to the Powerful ad campaign? Does Apple just abandon it?

Its message - which I like - is too much linked to "Dead Poets Society".

It could be either perceived as a great tribute to the late Robbie Williams or as a lame attempt of Apple to exploit dead people.

I am happy Apple has chosen to focus on a new ad campaign. I like the new ads of Apple. They are witty, simple and informative. It has the potential to go viral on Youtube (when people start making their own versions).

• Reply 24 of 50
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cali View Post

"Dunnn Dunn Dunn!! Da Dunnnnnnn!!!"

These are terrible by Apple standards.

I really hope these aren't made by Apples new in-house team.

Why don't you make your own version? All you need is an iPhone 6 and a friend with an iPhone 6+.

I like Justin's star wars theme. But I am looking forward to your version :)

• Reply 25 of 50

Six months ago I lost my job and after that I was fortunate enough to stumble upon a great website which literally saved me. I started working for them online and in a short time after I've started averaging 15k a month... The best thing was that cause I am not that computer savvy all I needed was some basic typing skills and internet access to start... This is where to start 

.....................???.Gawk???.???

• Reply 26 of 50

sdsdsdsdsd

• Reply 27 of 50
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    slurpy wrote: »
    You're absolutely right, releasing a different style of ads (you know, like they do every few months)  means Apple is "a whole different company".

I meant the quality of the commercials took such a dive you would thing these ads were from Sammy or Sony etc.

Like a previous poster said, he thought the ad was from a competitor bashing Apple.
    hopeless wrote: »
    Shouldn't the ads name who is talking or show them at some point? I think a lot of people are going to watch these ads and just think Apple has lost their minds.

I agree. No one's just gonna guess its them. Not even hardcore fans.
    My sister is a big fan of both of them. She saw that annoying first ad and said you can "barely" tell.
    mr o wrote: »
    Why don't you make your own version? All you need is an iPhone 6 and a friend with an iPhone 6+.

I like Justin's star wars theme. But I am looking forward to your version :)

Wouldn't make much of a difference since most people won't recognize who's in these commercials anyway.
  • Reply 28 of 50
    Both a very entertaining ads. I liked it that JF and JT were not shown and only their voices used. Both of them did a great job.
  • Reply 29 of 50
    I am a big fan of Apple and their products but I must say these are some corny ads. I am hoping these are not from the new in-house team. They don't have to be as desperate as Samsung and poke fun at the competition but at least create ads on how productive the iPhone can be with its features. These corny ads with the all white background are getting old.
  • Reply 30 of 50

I think these might be the worst Apple ads...ever. They're so annoying and obnoxious.

• Reply 31 of 50
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

So Apple should keep the same campaign style forever? Really? Yeah, thats what happens with ad campaigns. They get "abandoned" because everyone will get sick an tired of the same style, no matter how good the ad is. I'm sure they'll go back to something similar in the future, but you have to break things up to keep things interesting. Although I personally loved the Powerful ads, I think this style will resonate more strongly with the average person. Most people probably couldn't understand what the **** the people in those powerful ads were even doing with their phones.

Agreed.  Some people were probably turned off by those ads because they are irrelevant to how they use a phone.  Is Apple saying I'm not worthy because I don't use my phone to create "art?"  Gotta mix it up.

• Reply 32 of 50
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    Both a very entertaining ads. I liked it that JF and JT were not shown and only their voices used. Both of them did a great job.

I think if they pulled back at the end to show them both at least in one of them, that would have been better for people who don't know them. When the audience at the iPhone event was shown the dunn dunn dunn ad, they were clearly a bit confused and Tim asked if they knew who it was and that's when he revealed the names. In the one with the funnel cake, they could have pulled back to show Jimmy Fallon with cake all over him saying it was delicious. Even when I heard the names, I was picturing Jimmy Kimmel, not Jimmy Fallon:

Maybe Jimmy Fallon landed the gig because of his duet, which Tim tweeted about:

[VIDEO]

He's done quite a few sketches with Timberlake:

[VIDEO]

[VIDEO]

[VIDEO]

[VIDEO]

but their voices alone wouldn't be enough for me to recognise them right away. They are quirky but they come across as quite low budget. The Get a Mac ads at least looked properly scripted and rehearsed.
  • Reply 33 of 50
    I recognized then right away. I'm sure it depends on your demographic. Besides, Fallon is a big pusher of Apple. He pro minutely displays his Mac in every show.

People need to lighten up though. Apple is seling a smartphone here. Smartphones are supposed to be fun. And realistically, besides the size and iOS 8, what would you like them to show? They're showing they can be fun. Just like the Siri 4S ads of a few years ago. When ? Pay (and subsequently ? Watch) becomes available they'll get back to the lifestyle ads. They sold 10 million phones in a weekend without [B]any[/B] ads. We don't have anything to worry about.
  • Reply 34 of 50

They won an emmy for their last christmas commercial, that's 9 months ago... Plus the Verse line of commercial is very different and good from these. So, I guess its just you.... ;-).

• Reply 35 of 50
    I cannot stand Jimmy Fallon. He grates on me every time I've seen or heard him.

Might be better commercials with Timberlake and Andy Samberg instead. They could do a song called, "iPhone 6 In a Box"...
  • Reply 36 of 50
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    The second one is really funny.
  • Reply 37 of 50
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cali View Post

"Dunnn Dunn Dunn!! Da Dunnnnnnn!!!"

These are terrible by Apple standards.

I really hope these aren't made by Apples new in-house team.

I was going to "rag on you" for not having a sense of humour but after reading more comments on this thread I've changed my mind. You're not alone. I think the problem is, like one poster has suggested, that no images of Justin and/or Fallon are used, so many people will not associate them with this commercial. Their voices are very similar, to me at least.....but then my hearing is only 64.56% as good as it used to be.  Had I not known in advance who was in the video, I might have felt the same, not sure. I think these commercials are very imaginative and are very funny. One thing I would like to know is this: when the hell did our society, in general, become one full of whiny, bitchy and complaining people who, seemingly, have all day to voice their displeasure at everything and never have a good word to say about anything. :???: 

• Reply 38 of 50
    newbee wrote: »
    One thing I would like to know is this: when the hell did our society, in general, become one full of whiny, bitchy and complaining people who, seemingly, have all day to voice their displeasure at everything and never have a good word to say about anything. :???:  
    Easy..it happened when the masses got access to the Internet.
  • Reply 39 of 50
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I cannot stand Jimmy Fallon. He grates on me every time I've seen or heard him.

Might be better commercials with Timberlake and Andy Samberg instead. They could do a song called, "iPhone 6 In a Box"...

I wasn't a big fan of Fallon before he got the Tonight Show gig, but I have been very pleasantly surprised.  I think it's fair to say that he has completely revitalized that franchise and is in his way to becoming a Johnny Carson-like figure with cross-generational/cross-demographic appeal.  He's edgier than Jay but nicer/more empathetic than Dave (and I'm a life-long Letterman fan).  I expect that these ads will please more people than they turn off.  And the "oh wait is that Jimmy Fallon?  who's the other guy? oh..." element is almost certainly intentional.  Remember the original iMac ads?  They didn't tell us it was Jeff Goldblum talking (and why would they).

• Reply 40 of 50
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by newbee View Post

I was going to "rag on you" for not having a sense of humour but after reading more comments on this thread I've changed my mind. You're not alone. I think the problem is, like one poster has suggested, that no images of Justin and/or Fallon are used, so many people will not associate them with this commercial. Their voices are very similar, to me at least.....but then my hearing is only 64.56% as good as it used to be.  Had I not known in advance who was in the video, I might have felt the same, not sure. I think these commercials are very imaginative and are very funny. One thing I would like to know is this: when the hell did our society, in general, become one full of whiny, bitchy and complaining people who, seemingly, have all day to voice their displeasure at everything and never have a good word to say about anything. :???: 

It doesn't matter because these commercials are not aimed to the people on boards like this one.   Everyone on this board knows about the phones, knows (just about) everything about them and whether or not they want to own one.   No TV ad is going to convince them to either buy or not buy.

These ads are for people who don't populate tech boards and who either have never bought an iPhone or are due for an upgrade.   What these ads say is a) there are new iPhones and b) don't buy one of those larger phones that have Android or Microsoft on them because we have them now too.

Also, the artistic value of an ad does not necessarily have any relationship to how effective the ad is.    There have been plenty of really beautiful original ads in which consumers didn't remember the brand (not Apple's).

The average person doesn't do any of the esoteric things that Apple has beautifully captured in some of the previous spots.    They don't attach iPhones to guitars or create public art shows.   They don't have lights that can be controlled by a phone.    Even though most people don't do those things, those ads are still brilliant because they're aspirational.      This ad is much more down to earth and friendly for average people.    If you don't know it's Fallon and Timberlake, the ad still works and Apple realizes that if you don't know, you'll know soon unless one lives in a vacuum.    I also think that these ads will be very short-lived - they're just really announcement ads.     They don't need to do what the original iPhone ads did because everyone already knows what a smartphone does.