Rumor: Next-gen iPad Air to debut in October, Retina iPad mini in early 2015

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

My question is will Apple pull a big boner and deliver to us a iPad Air with only 1GB of RAM?

My guess is: no! The iPad Air 2 will support display of 2 apps running simultaneously in 1 GB memory each, for 2 GB total memory. As a developer, if your app runs without problem in the 1 GB of an iPhone 5-6, you'll have no problem (and Apple will have no problem supporting) your app running side-by-side with another app.

If Apple can make inroads on the iPad Air's display like they did for the iPhone 6 Plus... WOW, I can't wait!!!!

• Reply 22 of 40
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    iPads, iPods & a new MBA. They could make some kind of announcement related to HealthKit, and then there is the aleged homekit. And Apple TV. And let's not forget about a possible new music service. Now that there are so many products and services they could easily fill a keynote. They may not 'blow our minds' and therefore the event will quickly be dismissed as boring, but it's not hard to imagine how a pretty dense keynote is within the realm of possibility.
  • Reply 23 of 40

I have the 1st retina screen iPad, 3rd gen. It was heavier, ran hotter, and went through battery life pretty quickly. For what I use it for, I didn't mind. I like putting on movies as I drift off to sleep. I also read a lot of iBooks.

Now I have no choice but to upgrade. iOS 8 on my 3rd gen is a dog. Sometimes it takes several seconds to launch apps. Movies stutter and then speed up to catch up to audio. Launching some apps seems to take forever. It's just noticeably slower in every way.

I hope there's more in store than thinner, lighter, better battery life. I have no idea what but I wouldn't mind a surprise or two. I hope Apple is aggressive in maintaining their lead.

• Reply 24 of 40
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Yep, just like the 5.5” iPhone wouldn’t come out at the same time as the real one.
    Eh, I’ll probably drop it eventually. And no, not ‘eventually’ as in ‘just like the 5.5” iPhone wouldn’t come out at the same time as the real one.’

That blind man was right after all.
  • Reply 25 of 40
    Originally Posted by cali View Post

That blind man was right after all.

Even an unbuilt clock can be right if the clockmaker happens to set the hands down in a particular fashion at the right time of day.

• Reply 26 of 40
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

That's why you pair it with a Yosemite launch, just like last year when they paired it with Mavericks. They could also announce new iPods.

Predictions:

• Update on "phenomenal" iPhone 6 launch and iOS 8 update.

• OS X Yosemite available free today.

• iPad Air and iPad mini retina to gain touch ID and iphone 6 like rounded edges.

• Announcing AppleStar Galactica: command an intergalactic force for good. Available in sliver, gold, rose gold, space grey, and black hole product red*

*Samcylons sold separately

• Reply 27 of 40

Possible Oct launch adds:

iOS 8.1  (or whatever includes Apple Pay)?

Apple TV update?

I recently bought a used 16GB Air for my drone flight controller and was blown away by the weight! it makes my daily ipads (gen 2 and gen3) feel like damn paving stones! So Id be thrilled with simply a kick-ass ipad air2 release....

but the Apple glutton in me would LIKE to see:

Apple Pay

AppleTV

Yosemite

• Reply 28 of 40
    Yep, just like the 5.5” iPhone wouldn’t come out at the same time as the real one.
    Yeah I want to know what their track record was with iPhone rumors. I bet it was off just like this will be. They're updating and releasing both models at the same time I'm sure of it.
    dunks wrote: »
    Predictions:
    • <span style="line-height:1.4em;">Update on "phenomenal" iPhone 6 launch and iOS 8 update.</span>
    • OS X Yosemite available free today.
    • iPad Air and iPad mini retina to gain touch ID and iphone 6 like rounded edges.
    • Announcing AppleStar Galactica: command an intergalactic force for good. Available in sliver, gold, rose gold, space grey, and black hole product red*

*Samcylons sold separately
    Also hoping for Apple TV update as they did ad HomeKit functionality to the 3rd gen. Can't wait to walk in to my place and say "Hey Siri turn on my TV." Also looking for the 13" iPad Air 2 Plus Active Super** to be released as I believe businesses and artists alike will find a grand use for the size.

**™ pending
  • Reply 29 of 40
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    The mini competes with the iPhone 6 plus. Now that most carriers support VOIP calling, just get a mini, transfer your cell phone number to Google Voice and keep using it with the same carrier. And it costs less.

Pair the mini with the iPad Plus release and new iPods, keep them completely separate from the phone launch.

Anybody think the iPod Touch will take on the 5.5 screen size? It will definitely get the 4.7 at a minimum. But I'm thinking 5.5 is the perfect gaming device, not to mention for most kids a good compromise for the mini. Will the Touch get a cellular option so it can be used like an iPad? Will it be moved out of the iPod family, leaving the iPods to be merely "pods"? Seems to me the Apple Watch is going to take a huge bite out of the shuffle, and nano as it is ... Are the iPod's days numbered?
  • Reply 30 of 40
    So now that big screens are fashionable again, will they bring back 17'' Macbook Pro?
  • Reply 31 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Apple will not put 2GB of RAM in an iOS device until they can get LPDDR4. I could be wrong but doubt it.

iOS 8 fixed the tab refresh issues on my Air, I feel like 1GB is fine now. Not perfect, but not compromising performance seriously.

My only complaint is that the iPhone 6 makes the Air look really dated, both from a screen aspect (display should be laminated to the cover glass by now) and from an asthetic aspect.

1GB doesn't cut it for photo editing.  Too many forced resolution reductions, too many memory-related app crashes, and too many memory purges when switching between apps.

• Reply 32 of 40
    You raise an interesting point about data.

I feel that the data on an iPad is a kludge. Seeing as almost everyone with an iPad also owns an iPhone, would it not make sense for Apple to assimilate the data somehow? It makes no sense for me to pay extra for iPad data when I can simply use my iPhone data via Personal Hotspot. Hence, the GPS iPad is pretty redundant.

I hope the big iPad comes next month, too.

Only problem with connecting your iPad to thd iphone hotspot is that your iPhone battery drains even more quickly. So having the cellular iPad is a good option for many people.
  • Reply 33 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Roly View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

You raise an interesting point about data.

I feel that the data on an iPad is a kludge. Seeing as almost everyone with an iPad also owns an iPhone, would it not make sense for Apple to assimilate the data somehow? It makes no sense for me to pay extra for iPad data when I can simply use my iPhone data via Personal Hotspot. Hence, the GPS iPad is pretty redundant.

I hope the big iPad comes next month, too.

Only problem with connecting your iPad to thd iphone hotspot is that your iPhone battery drains even more quickly. So having the cellular iPad is a good option for many people.

You're quite right.

Which is why I'm so looking forward to the iPhone 6! In fact, if one thing could tempt me to the Plus, it's the battery life. I often hotspot my iPad, so it makes a big difference. However, I think the iPhone 6 will have sufficient improvement in battery life to keep me from needing a cellular iPad.

• Reply 34 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CanukStorm View Post

Generally, as you know, Apple keynotes last at least an hour, lately a lot longer.  Updating the iPad line with Touch ID & A8 SoC aren't exactly going to fill that time slot.  Those are the kinds of upgrades that can be done in a press release.

If it were just a chip in a unit, then yes, it's an upgrade.  But adding TouchID is a big deal, and the A8x may drive huger comparisons that Apple will like to control the message.  And there is a bunch of other stuff.

5 minutes:  Opening.   Apple is doing great... Oh, did we tell you we just released a phone?

10 minutes iOS 8 impacts on the iPad line

a couple apps here, a couple testimonials there

10 Minutes on the new Mini and Air. ( doubt they split the releases)

A8x

TouchID

Other amazing stuff (NFC? Watch Integration? Faster WiFi/LTE? Colors?)

TouchID?   big deal.  Corporatizing (MDM is a huge deal) the iPad is critical path for further business adoption, and 'post laptop' information era.  

That's 5 minutes.

HealthKit can do a huge amount of discussion (I think that HealthKit and the corresponding apps from Healthcare providers will be better suited for the iPad than the phone/watch).   I see 10 minutes there

Between those, and say, discussing some 'hobbies'  they can probably fill an hour.... or 50 minutes at least.   

• Reply 35 of 40

Predictions:

• Recap iPhone 6 and 6+ launch (video) iOS 8 updates and adoption numbers. Launch Apple Pay.

• OS X Yosemite recap and launch same day. Full Continuity.

• iPad Air 2 and iPad mini retina to gain touch ID, A8X, Health Kit options, (maybe some type of Apple Pay POS support?) 

• Something new (iPod Touch/iPad Air Plus) 

Longshots: Something with Apple TV, new Mac hardware, Retina Macbook Air 

• Reply 36 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

Predictions:

• Recap iPhone 6 and 6+ launch (video) iOS 8 updates and adoption numbers. Launch Apple Pay.

• OS X Yosemite recap and launch same day. Full Continuity.

• iPad Air 2 and iPad mini retina to gain touch ID, A8X, Health Kit options, (maybe some type of Apple Pay POS support?) 

Longshots: Something with Apple TV, new Mac hardware, Retina Macbook Air 

All you need to add is something old and something blue. ????

I like your signature: I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.

I'm not an optimist. I'm a pessimist, with faith.

• Reply 37 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

All you need to add is something old and something blue. ????

I like your signature: I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.

I'm not an optimist. I'm a pessimist, with faith.

haha, well played sir. 

• Reply 38 of 40
    heliahelia Posts: 170member

Hopefully they've got 2GB of RAM

• Reply 39 of 40
    My only complaint is that the iPhone 6 makes the Air look really dated, both from a screen aspect (display should be laminated to the cover glass by now) and from an asthetic aspect.

Yep, I got rid of my Air after a few weeks because of that cheap plastic cover. It felt and sounded like plastic while typing on it and took extra effort to get the screen to respond. While scrolling, it would often lag. My iPad 2 was much more touch sensitive, I loved it! So I sold it and bought a brand new iPad 4 while I still could. It's the best of what I loved about my 2 such as the design, battery capacity and the very sensitive glass display and a few things I loved about the Air such as the LTE, 128 GB capacity and the Retina display.

Come to think of it, one of my friends had the first gen Mini and the display was that same plastic crap that appeared on the Air, yet my sister had the same first gen Mini but hers had a glass display. How could that be?
  • Reply 40 of 40
    Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

They’re already using the Air suffix. The larger iPad is iPad Pro.