'Sons of Anarchy,' 'American Horror Story' come to Apple TV with new FXNOW channel

Posted:
in iPhone edited October 2014
Apple on Tuesday added FXNOW, the on-demand arm of popular basic cable network FX, to the Apple TV's stable of content providers, bringing shows like Louie, Sons of Anarchy, and American Horror Story to viewers.

FXNOW brings both shows and movies, like Transformers 3: Dark of the Moon, though users will need an active cable subscription to stream content. The Simpsons World service, which was previously reported to come as part of the FXNOW channel, was not available at press time and it remains unclear whether it will be added in the future.

Until now, FXNOW had been available to Apple customers only as an iOS app. Simpsons World, which will make more than 500 episodes of The Simpsons available for streaming, is expected to receive a similar rollout.

Apple has added a number of new content providers to the Apple TV in 2014, though widely-anticipated new hardware has been notably absent. Recent reports suggest that negotiations with content providers could push that refresh back to 2015.

Apple did recently revamp the Apple TV's user interface, bringing a more flat iOS 7-style design. That update is only available for third-generation Apple TV units.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35

This had better be for complete episodes and complete seasons.

I am so tired of crappy channels that mostly only offer so-called "clips" of shows, which only last for a minute or two. Screw clips! What a scam! I demand the full, entire episode of whatever I am watching! I demand the entire back catalog of every season and every episode ever made for the shows that I am watching! 

• Reply 2 of 35
    Where the hell is The Simpsons?
  • Reply 3 of 35

I guess there are a lot of use cases for this stuff (not me, but I digress).... but this lousy cable log in/verification is a pain in the butt. So much so the few times I would want to use these apps I cannot because it usually requires a call to the cable company, finding a paper bill for the special 'code' re-setting my password etc.... yuck.

• Reply 4 of 35
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

I guess there are a lot of use cases for this stuff (not me, but I digress).... but this lousy cable log in/verification is a pain in the butt. So much so the few times I would want to use these apps I cannot because it usually requires a call to the cable company, finding a paper bill for the special 'code' re-setting my password etc.... yuck.

It worked ok for me in this case, because I just signed into this FXNOW channel.

You have to go to a browser and enter the code that's on the Apple TV on the FXNOW app, and then sign in with your Cable TV provider password on the browser, and that unlocks the Apple TV FXNOW app.

• Reply 5 of 35
    The Bridge on FX is really good.
  • Reply 6 of 35

My first quick impression of this channel, is that it's pretty much garbage, at least for their TV shows.

I clicked around on a few shows and if you're lucky a few episodes are available, no more. And on certain shows, there is not a single episode available, just those damn, stupid, scam clips which I mentioned before.

What a waste of time! Don't even bother to make a channel, if you're not going to provide me with full episodes and seasons!

• Reply 7 of 35
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

Direct TV not onboard.

• Reply 8 of 35
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member

Screw cable tv

• Reply 9 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

The Bridge on FX is really good.

I never heard of that before, and just checked, and they have episodes 1-11 of that, so that's a hell of a lot better than clips at least.

I also clicked on Fargo, which has its' own icon, but there's not a single episode available! What crap.

• Reply 10 of 35
    It really sucks that Apple has stopped supporting 2nd gen AppleTV, which literally the only difference between it and 3rd gen is that it lacks 1080 support. With that, there is no reason to stop adding new channels for 2nd gen owners. It's hooked to a 720 TV so I shouldn't have to upgrade. I have a 1080 TV with a 3rd gen. I have an old CRT Sony with with a 1st gen. I understand why Apple stopped updating 1st gen after moving to a new format with 2nd gen, but 3rd gen is basically the same as 2nd gen. Now I'll have to go buy a new one simply because Apple dropped software support. I'm pretty sure it could have handled new icons, a beats app, and FX now.
  • Reply 11 of 35
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pigybank View Post

Now I'll have to go buy a new one simply because Apple dropped software support.

Wait a little bit maybe, gen 4 might be coming soon.

• Reply 12 of 35
    I hate that you have to have a subscription through cable in order for the channel to be any good. That makes AppleTV junk for 99% of the offered "content" if you're a cord cutter. About the only thing this box can be used for is Netflix. - Again, a paid subscription.

Why not throw a few commercials into the tv shows and let people watch them that way. It works for Hulu.
  • Reply 13 of 35
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lawrance View Post

I hate that you have to have a subscription through cable in order for the channel to be any good. 

I have a subscription, and I don't think that the channel is any good really.

• Reply 14 of 35
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

My first quick impression of this channel, is that it's pretty much garbage, at least for their TV shows.

I clicked around on a few shows and if you're lucky a few episodes are available, no more. And on certain shows, there is not a single episode available, just those damn, stupid, scam clips which I mentioned before.

What a waste of time! Don't even bother to make a channel, if you're not going to provide me with full episodes and seasons!

I agree with you... However, I also encourage this moving forward in the hope that this and other similar attempts are the end of the beginning.

• Reply 15 of 35
    pdq2pdq2 Posts: 270member

I very much doubt I'm ever going to watch anything on my AppleTV that requires me to have a cable subscription.

• Reply 16 of 35
    Originally Posted by pigybank View Post

It really sucks that Apple has stopped supporting 2nd gen AppleTV, which literally the only difference between it and 3rd gen is that it lacks 1080 support.

Uh, no. The A5 is quite different from the A4.

It's hooked to a 720 TV so I shouldn't have to upgrade.

I don’t see how that’s an argument.

• Reply 17 of 35
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

Where the hell is The Simpsons?

I believe they're launching their own app in October

• Reply 18 of 35
    apple ][ wrote: »
    I never heard of that before, and just checked, and they have episodes 1-11 of that, so that's a hell of a lot better than clips at least.

I also clicked on Fargo, which has its' own icon, but there's not a single episode available! What crap.

I believe that's the entire first season. The second season is airing now.
  • Reply 19 of 35
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

I believe that's the entire first season. The second season is airing now.

Yup, and the latest season of SoA is airing on AppleTV now. Bought the season. No ads!

• Reply 20 of 35
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Uh, no. The A5 is quite different from the A4.

I don’t see how that’s an argument.

Yes you do