Apple to address problems with keyboards, VPN, more in iOS 8.0.1 - report

Comments

• Reply 21 of 53
    Quote:

Originally Posted by oneof52 View Post

The only issue I have been having is with Movie and TV Show art work not showing up and instead getting a grey box with the title in it.  This problem started with the iOS8 upgrade.  Some show up and most don't.  And I've even tried using art work that works with one title, but still won't show up on a different title.  Happens to both my iPhone 5S and iPad Air.

I have been checking the Apple forums, and others seem to have this problem with no fix.  I've been leaving feedback left and right with Apple.

I have A LOT of movies and TV shows and spent countless hours picking the art work I wanted.  I hope this gets addressed.

Anyone else experiencing this problem?

I'm also experiencing this problem - weirdly, it only affects my TV Shows, but not Movies, that I have shared in iTunes.  Unfortunately, I don't have a solution for you.  The quality of the Video app and it's use with Home Sharing has gone downhill since iOS7.  I'm not a fan of how long it takes to load the Shared Library from iTunes as well.

• Reply 22 of 53

i feel apple is forcing us to upgrade to iCloud photo library and making us pay the 99 cents to $20 a month for letting us keep all our photos in the cloud. they want us to upgrade so much that they disabled DCIM access in iOS 8. and mac and windows can't access your pictures anymore like any other digital camera. i think they are going to far. it makes me want to dump iOS 8 and go back to iOS 7. i tried to connect my iPhone to windows and mac , i even clicked on trust. i waited. DCIM never showed up. it is very depressing

• Reply 23 of 53
    Originally Posted by benji888 View Post

So much for apple "release[ing] products when they are ready" not sticking with a timeline. ????

So much for comprehending updates.

• Reply 24 of 53
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rigorkrad View Post

i feel apple is forcing us to upgrade to iCloud photo library and making us pay the 99 cents to $20 a month for letting us keep all our photos in the cloud. they want us to upgrade so much that they disabled DCIM access in iOS 8. and mac and windows can't access your pictures anymore like any other digital camera. i think they are going to far. it makes me want to dump iOS 8 and go back to iOS 7. i tried to connect my iPhone to windows and mac , i even clicked on trust. i waited. DCIM never showed up. it is very depressing

I'm on my Windows computer at work looking at the photos on my iPhone 6

Computer > Apple iPhone > Internal Storage > DCIM

Make sure you touch "Trust" when the iPhone asks "Trust This Computer?" after connecting.

• Reply 25 of 53

My daughter and I, both iPhone 5 owners, have had problems with iMessage under iOS 8 switching to straight SMS texting even for recipients who are all on iOS devices.

Has anyone else experienced this?

• Reply 26 of 53

I second that request for a Wifi fix, and add a bluetooth fix. I'm having issues with bluetooth headset and auto integration.

• Reply 27 of 53

Notice the picture shows a MacBook- Er Genius! ----  the Laptop does not run iOS. Isn't it amazing how little thought goes in to these articles. I wager the intern was asked to get a graphic and failed to pick that up. 

• Reply 28 of 53
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    siretman wrote: »
    The two letters that freeze your Safari are most likely part of one or more of your shortcuts. I have my email address as a shortcut and when I invoke the shortcut, Safari freezes.

It's possible. I think I've tesolved one. It's cpu
    siretman wrote: »
    The two letters that freeze your Safari are most likely part of one or more of your shortcuts. I have my email address as a shortcut and when I invoke the shortcut, Safari freezes.

At least one is. The others just type out as usual without shortcuts, then I have to fix them.

Now, that first response to you has the word that freezes Safari, which it did there. I closed the app down and came back. The site must have saved what I typed, which is why those three letters (I'm not even going to try typing them!) are showing. The way I have that word in shortcuts capitalizes it.
  • Reply 29 of 53
    Quote:

So much for apple "release[ing] products when they are ready" not sticking with a timeline. ????

It all comes down to semantics: The key word "ready" is open to debate. All software has bugs it simply a question of the number and severity. If you add 1000 years you could make it perfect but that's impractical, blanket superficial statements like "So much for apple release[ing] products when they are ready" are not helpful  - try thinking a bit deeper please then you might get more credibility.

• Reply 30 of 53
    melgross
    I didn't have a battery problem on my iPad Air with the iOS 8 upgrade but I did with my iPhone 5s. Using the new battery usage screen in Settings I found that one App on the iPhone was using 80% of my battery ! I killed it but still it was showing up and my battery was still being rapidly drained. Shutdown and restarted the iPhone and haven't had a battery issue since. I will probably delete this App as I don't really use it that much.

Yeah, I haven't had time to look at that yet. I'm hoping it isn't something I want to allow open.
  • Reply 31 of 53

Wifi sync seems to have lots of problems. I'm using the latest Mac OS Mavericks build, with the latest iTunes. WiFi Sync seems to only pick up my iPad on iOS 8. iTunes no longer sees my iPhone 5 or iPhone 6 on iOS 8. (well, it never did see my iPhone 6.. but you get the point)

Also, restoring my iPhone 6 from a backup of my iPhone 5 crashed iTunes 4 times before it would restore my apps/settings to the iPhone 6. It kept the 2013 Macbook Pro spinning in loops. 

• Reply 32 of 53
    benji888 wrote: »

They can do that with new product lines. But they're committed to coming out with the phones once a year. The cell companies depend on that too. There are contracts, and production lines to worry about, etc. the watch is a new line, and they'll come out with it when they believe it's ready. But it likely won't be perfect from the get go. Nothing involving computing ever is.
  • Reply 33 of 53

WiFi is horrible under iOS 8.  Cuts out all the time and I get terrible speeds.  I still have my old iPhone 5 running iOS 7 and when my iPhone 6 is crapping out, my iPhone 5 is fast as ever.  Definitely a iOS 8 software issue.  I've been following this issue on Apple's support forums and there are literally hundreds of people experiencing the same issue.

• Reply 34 of 53

Well, in comparison....

My iOS is "pretty good" after a week.... very usable.

Windows 7 (released in 2009) is ALMOST feeling stable :-)

I suspect 8.01 will be along shortly and will be markedly better.... and ios8 will be GOOD by October/Nov when the Apple Pay release gets pushed out...

• Reply 35 of 53
    Sync issues to and from the phone after updating !!

Changes made to Contacts and BusyCal are syncing just fine from MBP to iMac (and vice versa), but nothing is getting to or from iOS8 on my iPhone 5 on T-Mobile... Frustrating when you need to stay up-to-day and look to your iPhone to keep you in-the-know...
  • Reply 36 of 53
    Quote:

Interesting…  What do you think "ready" means for software? {quite curious}

• Reply 37 of 53

They can also axe QuickType while they're at it (yes, I've turned it off, but I'll rant about it anyway.)

While I get the whole draw of predictive text implementations (it encourages laziness, in my book), it's just not working for me. Yes, for me. YMMV, but I find it annoying and not very useful. It's right some of the time, and even when it's right often, my attention is pulled in two different directions at once - to the keyboard where I am focusing on typing the word I want (this means DO NOT DISTURB my focus), and also to the bar above where I wait for the word to (maybe) appear. This tends to slow down my typing. I can manage it, but it aint comfy. 

In my view (and I'm quite sure others share it), we don't need our words and phrases predicted for us, when we're already in the process of typing them out. 

What we DO need (sorely) is a smarter autocorrect. 

Don't try to anticipate what *might* come up in my typing, tyvm, just fix the damn stuff I've already typed. 

• Reply 38 of 53

The update went fine for me. Aside from some minor lagging and an occasionally oversensitive touchscreen, I haven't seen much in the way of stability or functionality issues with iOS 8. The keyboards do feel slower, but I thought that had more to do with the new predictive typing feature.

I don't know if this is relevant, but I restored my phone to factory settings before installing iOS 8. I also did the installation using a wired connection to iTunes, like I always do before a major version update.

The only notable bug I've observed since updating to iOS 8 is a strange one. When asking for directions to Cupertino City Hall, Siri gave me directions to Philadelphia City Hall. I then asked for directions to Los Angeles City Hall, Siri gave me directions to Philadelphia City Hall. With ANY "city hall" directions query, Siri points me to Philadelphia. Yeah, this is a really weird one, even though I've since found that it's not specific to iOS 8.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pennywse View Post

Exactly what I love and why I stay Apple, they quickly patch issues that crop up after major software releases.

This was one of the biggest grips with my wife's S3, constantly on older software and fixes to issues were very slow to roll out... if ever.

iOS 8 is definitely more stable than when iOS 7 hit, but it wasn't nearly as big in the changes department as iOS 7 was.

Agree that iOS 8 is definitely more stable than iOS 7.0. How quickly people forget about the infamous "white screen of death" resets when ranting about how iOS 8 is the worst release ever.

As far as the changes go, iOS 8 is actually a much more extensive under-the-hood revision than iOS 7. iOS 7 focused on the UI revision and transitioning iOS over to 64-bit. iOS 8 introduces a new programming language, extensions, and 4,000 new APIs. These changes aren't as obvious because they're not user-focused, but they will move the platform forward as developers incorporate them into new apps.

• Reply 39 of 53
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    quadra 610 wrote: »
    What we DO need (sorely) is a smarter autocorrect. 

Frankly, I was getting a little tired of autocorrect's shirt.

It can go to he'll as far as I'm concerned.
  • Reply 40 of 53
    Where's that iOS 8 Jailbreak? Cant wait for it otherwise the iPhone 6 is just a big heavy and hard to operate piece of device. I had all the iPhones except for the very first one but this is the first time when thoughts of returning it went through my mind. With all the improvements iOS 8 is still pretty plain and I still seem to use my iPhone 5s more just because is fully loaded on 7.1.2 and lighter and easier to use. Applications like f.lux that allows to adjust the color temperature at night along with Dimmer are indispensable to me and not to mention a bunch of other tweaks that makes it e real useful device.