'Sons of Anarchy,' 'American Horror Story' come to Apple TV with new FXNOW channel

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    Its pointless. Why do I need to get it on my Apple TV if I had a cable subscription for it? We need more legal sources for online content, not more promotion for the cable companies.
  • Reply 22 of 35
    Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

Yes you do

I don’t see how you can know anything whatsoever about me except what I tell you. It’s not an argument.

• Reply 23 of 35
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pigybank View Post

It really sucks that Apple has stopped supporting 2nd gen AppleTV, which literally the only difference between it and 3rd gen is that it lacks 1080 support. With that, there is no reason to stop adding new channels for 2nd gen owners. It's hooked to a 720 TV so I shouldn't have to upgrade. I have a 1080 TV with a 3rd gen. I have an old CRT Sony with with a 1st gen. I understand why Apple stopped updating 1st gen after moving to a new format with 2nd gen, but 3rd gen is basically the same as 2nd gen. Now I'll have to go buy a new one simply because Apple dropped software support. I'm pretty sure it could have handled new icons, a beats app, and FX now.

• Reply 24 of 35
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member

People who are complaining that they need to have a cable subscription to use these sorts of channels are either being really dense or intentionally misleading just to complain.

Where exactly is the money for a basic cable channel like FX supposed to come from if no one has to actually pay for the cable subs that carry the channel?!

Now, there is an argument for stuff like HBO Go -- pay for it a la carte, essentially.  But channels like USA or FX or other basic channels, obviously the money is going to need to come from somewhere.  Shows like "American Horror Story" don't just produce themselves for free.

• Reply 25 of 35

A4 -- Cortex-A8, PowerVR SGX535 single core GPU, L2 cache 512k

A5 -- Cortex-A9, PowerVR SGX432MP2 dual-core GPU, L2 cache 1MB

That's why the 2nd gen and 3rd gen aren't able to accomplish the same things.  They are completely different processors.

• Reply 26 of 35
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    aaronj wrote: »
    People who are complaining that they need to have a cable subscription to use these sorts of channels are either being really dense or intentionally misleading just to complain.

Where exactly is the money for a basic cable channel like FX supposed to come from if no one has to actually pay for the cable subs that carry the channel?!

Now, there is an argument for stuff like HBO Go -- pay for it a la carte, essentially.  But channels like USA or FX or other basic channels, obviously the money is going to need to come from somewhere.  Shows like "American Horror Story" don't just produce themselves for free.

If they were full service channels like HBO or showtime, I'd agree with you. But these gimped 1/100th channels are nothing more than a preview. They should be free.

That said- the ridiculous abc, A&E, history, etc channels don't even give you anything extra for having a subscription. Just the same gimped crap. So thats consistent at least.
  • Reply 27 of 35
    [SOA] Sons of Anarchy S7 E3 [Playing with Monsters] Watch Full Video in HD -->> http://x.co/5WRYl
  • Reply 28 of 35
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

If they were full service channels like HBO or showtime, I'd agree with you. But these gimped 1/100th channels are nothing more than a preview. They should be free.

That said- the ridiculous abc, A&E, history, etc channels don't even give you anything extra for having a subscription. Just the same gimped crap. So thats consistent at least.

Huh?  I just watched an entire episode of "Covert Affairs" last night.

• Reply 29 of 35
    aaronj wrote: »

Huh?  I just watched an entire episode of "Covert Affairs" last night.

On what? Isn't that USA?

I checked Hulu and FX- of course, if there was a universal search feature it could be MUCH easier...
  • Reply 30 of 35
    andysol wrote: »
    On what? Isn't that USA?

I checked Hulu and FX- of course, if there was a universal search feature it could be MUCH easier...

It's on the USA network, and I know Amazon has it. I'm not sure where else you can see it without paying per episode, or season.
  • Reply 31 of 35
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I don’t see how you can know anything whatsoever about me except what I tell you. It’s not an argument.

:rolleyes:

• Reply 32 of 35
    apple ][ wrote: »
    Wait a little bit maybe, gen 4 might be coming soon.
    Yes, and then there's that.
  • Reply 33 of 35
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    It's on the USA network, and I know Amazon has it. I'm not sure where else you can see it without paying per episode, or season.
    So what the hell was his point? USA nor Amazon have an app on the Apple TV. ????
  • Reply 34 of 35
    andysol wrote: »
    So what the hell was his point? USA nor Amazon have an app on the Apple TV. ????

Lol, you can always airplay Amazon to the Apple TV
  • Reply 35 of 35
    pigybank wrote: »
    Now I'll have to go buy a new one simply because Apple dropped software support. I'm pretty sure it could have handled new icons, a beats app, and FX now.

Really, you'll come out ahead by going ahead and buying an atv3. Aside from the tech specs already mentioned, and the fact that the next TV you purchase will likely be 1080p, by selling your atv2 and purchasing a new atv3, you'll be able to make at least $100.

Why is that? The 2nd generation model has been jail broken while the 3rd has not - making it much more valuable to purchasers. I sold mine this summer for $200 (others were still listed higher) within 30 min on Amazon and then bought my 3rd gen for approx $85 on sale and after discounts at Target. Plus you could even save that $100 for when the atv4 does finally come out - which might be this year, and still might not be.