Video demonstrates reported iPhone 6 Plus bending issues

Comments

• Reply 201 of 543
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post

Is this an example where Apple wasn't first (to a phablet form factor), but when they did it, they did it right?

Because it bends?

• Reply 202 of 543
    Quote:

Is this an example where Apple wasn't first (to a phablet form factor), but when they did it, they did it right?

They clearly didn't test the device out in the real world for usage. A little QA goes along way.

• Reply 203 of 543

This wasn't some guy or a paid rep from Samsung that decided to bend his phone for no reason. This test was done because it has been reported all over twitter and other social media today. Consumers are saying the phone is already starting to bend just by keeping it in their pocket. This isn't exactly hard to wrap your brain around considering Apple used aluminum, tried to make it as thin as possible, then gave it a large flat surface area. 

This phone wouldn't bend with a slightly curved back but that would put function over form. A large flat surface made of aluminum with a large flexible battery taking up a large amount of space this isn't exactly rocket science why it will bend over time. 

• Reply 204 of 543
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

Apple is going to get some heat for this now.

Isn't the first time, won't be the last. Bottom line is if the phone easily bends then Apple has a real problem on its hands. But if it's just the media overreacting to a video where someone is iintentionally trying to break the phone then I think it will blow over.

I must say though I'm not convinced that Apple really wanted to make larger phones. I almost get the feeling like they were just sick of people bitching about them not having a larger phone so it's basically here's your bigger phones now shut up and leave us alone.

Yep. I thought the same thing.

• Reply 205 of 543
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Quote:

Which you have no idea what Steve would or wouldn't have done. Just sayin'.

Quote:

True I don't know what Steve would have done and nor does Ken Burns know what FDR woold have done- but based on Steve's history with Apple, he never followed a competitor's trend.

• Reply 206 of 543
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Cue the stress test labs.
  • Reply 207 of 543
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Put it in his 501's.

• Reply 208 of 543
    Quote:

Sure we do. Steve Jobs would have never allowed a 5.5 inch iPhone to come to market. He was against anything over 3.5 inch iPhone screen. This is well documented. 

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/16/jobs-no-ones-going-to-buy-a-big-phone/

• Reply 209 of 543
    Prepare yourselves for "Bengate" in 3... 2... 1...
  • Reply 210 of 543
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    creep wrote: »
    The article I read stated that one of the people who posted the first photos had the phone in his front pants pocket for about 18 hours during which he drove for several hours, danced for a few and sat at a wedding reception for a few.  Seems like SOP with any cell phone...where's the absence of common sense?

Wedding reception. He was probably drunk and unaware that his pants were binding over the phone. You'd have to know the whole story. How tight are his pants, etc

Edit: Assuming the story is even real, that is. It may very well be made up entirely.
  • Reply 211 of 543

Over the years, I have seen many cracked iPhones from people putting them in their pockets and sitting on them. As many have said, the 6 Plus is not a pocket phone. Who in their right mind would want to put that massive thing in their pocket anyway?

• Reply 212 of 543
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AtlApple View Post

This wasn't some guy or a paid rep from Samsung that decided to bend his phone for no reason. This test was done because it has been reported all over twitter and other social media today. Consumers are saying the phone is already starting to bend just by keeping it in their pocket. This isn't exactly hard to wrap your brain around considering Apple used aluminum, tried to make it as thin as possible, then gave it a large flat surface area. 

This phone wouldn't bend with a slightly curved back but that would put function over form. A large flat surface made of aluminum with a large flexible battery taking up a large amount of space this isn't exactly rocket science why it will bend over time. 

If that guy really was "doing it for science" he would have used a press so the forces could be measured and replicated with the same conditions applied to the Samsung, which incidentally has a stainless steel frame.

• Reply 213 of 543
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AtlApple View Post

Sure we do. Steve Jobs would have never allowed a 5.5 inch iPhone to come to market. He was against anything over 3.5 inch iPhone screen. This is well documented. 

Accept that he released a 4" phone. LMAO! We was against smaller tablets and then ended up creating one. Steve was famous for being being flaky with his opinions. NEXT!

• Reply 214 of 543
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ranReloaded View Post

Prepare yourselves for "Bengate" in 3... 2... 1...

You are way late. It's Bendghazi not Bengate.

• Reply 215 of 543
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    atlapple wrote: »

And Steve never would have changed his mind, iTunes for Windows notwithstanding.
  • Reply 216 of 543
    ibeamibeam Posts: 322member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Also 501's are around $80-100 less than our traditional outlets.

Wow that is expensive. I always stock up when they go on sale. Last time I got them regular price $50 USD with a 25% discount when you spend $200 or more so I went back a couple days in a row. This was at the official Levis Dry Goods store at the mall. I still have many brand new ones in the shopping bag.

• Reply 217 of 543
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

And Steve never would have changed his mind, iTunes for Windows notwithstanding.

Um he changes his mind on just about everything. Bigger phones, Smaller Tablets. You name it. Where do you all get this stuff from? Do you guys enjoy ignoring the facts?

• Reply 218 of 543
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Here's something Matthew Panzarino (writes for Tech Crunch) tweeted:

[QUOTE]@panzer: Just an anecdote: I carried around the iPhone 6 Plus for 5 days in a pocket at Disneyland on rides & coasters and did not bend it. ¯\_(?)_/¯[/QUOTE]
  • Reply 219 of 543
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member

oh boy, here come the tears.

• Reply 220 of 543
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    As a new iPhone 6 Plus owner...I have to admit this is pretty troubling.  I imagine keeping your phone in a case SHOULD help with this situation, but for the price of the phone this is pretty unacceptable.  Hopefully Apple addresses this concern, soon, as I intend to carry my phone in my front pocket (pretty obviously). 

This may be cause for Apple to supply all plus owners with a free protective case to withstand the bend...

If they don't answer to this at all, I would be really shocked.  Especially considering the overwhelming number of people experiencing the issue.  I've been lucky enough not to yet, but I'm definitely not taking any risks. 

Take a look at "will it blend" for the iPad, the guy was able to bend the non-Apple tablets easier, where as the Apple iPad he had to apply a lot more force to.

The iPhone is the same general problem, the more surface area, the easier it is to bend and break. I don't see this as a failure on Apple's part, as it's clearly not a quality control problem, just a people-being-stupid problem.