Video demonstrates reported iPhone 6 Plus bending issues

Comments

• Reply 261 of 543
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    adonissmu wrote: »
    The battery on my 6+ is great even under heavy usage. The display is gorgeous. Even my android toting roomate wanted my 6+.
    So enjoy your phone and don't worry about it.
  • Reply 262 of 543

Love all the apologists coming out too. Blaming people for putting a phone in their pocket. Lol.

BTW, AI has never been above clickbaiting. They do it quite regularly.

• Reply 263 of 543
    Have a couple questions:
    1. Can you un-bend it back to the original shape without cracking it?
    2. Does bending it as shown in the video damage the phone, the battery, etc.
  • Reply 264 of 543
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rocaroundaworld View Post

As a new iPhone 6 Plus owner...I have to admit this is pretty troubling.  I imagine keeping your phone in a case SHOULD help with this situation, but for the price of the phone this is pretty unacceptable.  Hopefully Apple addresses this concern, soon, as I intend to carry my phone in my front pocket (pretty obviously). 

This may be cause for Apple to supply all plus owners with a free protective case to withstand the bend...

If they don't answer to this at all, I would be really shocked.  Especially considering the overwhelming number of people experiencing the issue.  I've been lucky enough not to yet, but I'm definitely not taking any risks. 

Oh, please STFU. Apple SHOULD'T answer to this- because it's nothing more than manufactured horse-shit, and you know it. I thought drop tests were idiotic, but this is infinitely worse. 

The amazing thing is after that anonymous blog post about that guy that for some reason kept his iPhone6+ in his tight pocket for 18 straight hrs (while driving, too) and it allegedly "bent" I rolled my eyes knowing that this was to become the next "fiasco" or "gate" based on this one post, because there's literally a vacuum of "issues" this time, so we need to make some shit up. And, right on this cue, because of this post,  we get this fuckface who creates a youtube video knowing it will get a shitload of clicks. And, like clockwork, this video is spammed on every tech site, media outlet, and syncophatic Apple sites like this who never once hesitated to trade their integrity for clicks. 

You know what's amazing? Even though massive samsung phones made of of shitty, weak plastic that creak everytime you touch them can obviously easily bend with ALOT less effort than the iPhone 6, and theyve sold tens and tens of millions, not ONCE have I heard a fucking peep about this- because- noone really gives a shit, nor is it an issue that people care about. You even mention build quality to an Apple-hater/Android fanatic, they'll mock you and say plastic is awesome and noone cares about build quality. Now, they're piling on with glee on this. 

This is one of those situations where I'm embarrassed to be part of the human race. We as a society have gotten so fucking spoiled and entitled. The large man in the video was putting so much effort into trying to bend the phone that his hands were quivering After multiple attempts, exerting 100% of his force on an ultra-thin aluminum object with a large surface area - it bent- as any sane, rational human being with the faintest understanding of the laws of physics would expect. I guess this is quite the fiasco and outrage, for those people who spend their free time attempting to bend their phones. For normal, sane human beings that don't, they should be just fine. And if somehow you find yourself in situations where you're bending your phones (I have yet to encounter one) then use a fucking case. 

I don't even have words for all the moron "Apple-fans" in this thread feigning outrage over this "bend-gate" and proclaiming they'll never buy a 6+. Either you're all completely gullible idiots, or you've been exposed for the trolls you actually are. This is one of the best examples of manufactured controversy. The worst thing is that this guy in the video will probably walk into an Apple store and get his iPhone replaced, after purposely destroying it and doing his best to create a controversy. Piece of shit. I'm sick and tired of these manufactured stories that do their best to undermine Apple and all the time and energy they invested into designing this product, in desperation to find flaws or defects. Tim Cook should ignore this completely, but being the overly nice person he is, he probably won't. There's absolutely nothing to "apologize" for. This is not going to bend by being in some fucking pocket, that much is obvious from that video. 

The phones did amazing in drop tests, so let's make something else up to bitch about. What a bunch of whiny, entitled, self-righteous tools you all are.

• Reply 265 of 543
    The obvious solution is tardis pockets!
  • Reply 266 of 543
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

If that guy really was "doing it for science" he would have used a press so the forces could be measured and replicated with the same conditions applied to the Samsung, which incidentally has a stainless steel frame.

The proper way to do this is use a piece of plastic (or something you can bend that returns to it's original shape) and attach a strain gauge to it. Put it in your pockets and sit down, squat or do other positions that create the largest amount of stress. Then measure the results from the strain gauge to see exactly how much pressure was applied.

Then take an iPhone and apply the same pressure to it as was recorded by the strain gauge and see if it bends. Keep applying pressure until the iPhone actually bends and compare this final required force with what you recorded. Then you can accurately say it requires 2x, 3x or whatever amount of force BEYOND normal usage to bend the phone.

No wait, it's not required to go through all that trouble. Because this is a NON-ISSUE.

• Reply 267 of 543

LOL? Cult Of Mac has a great take on this showing the history of bent phones (like the iPhone 4, 5 and 5S, Galaxy S4, Experia Z1, BB Q10 and even the Oppo).

Funny how all these users reported their bent phone resulting from "normal" activities yet none of them (except the iPhones) ever actually made news headlines.

• Reply 268 of 543
    Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

No wait, it's not required to go through all that trouble. Because this is a NON-ISSUE.

No where is there a parking space big enough for my car? 

• Reply 269 of 543
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlApple View Post

I would also be interested to see if a plastic shell would hold up better or worse. 

Has this already been posted?:

Galaxy Note 3 Bend Test (iPhone 6 Plus follow-up)

• Reply 270 of 543
    The proper way to do this is use a piece of plastic (or something you can bend that returns to it's original shape) and attach a strain gauge to it. Put it in your pockets and sit down, squat or do other positions that create the largest amount of stress. Then measure the results from the strain gauge to see exactly how much pressure was applied.

Then take an iPhone and apply the same pressure to it as was recorded by the strain gauge and see if it bends. Keep applying pressure until the iPhone actually bends and compare this final required force with what you recorded. Then you can accurately say it requires 2x, 3x or whatever amount of force BEYOND normal usage to bend the phone.

i played football on saturday and while I hurt my ankle my iphone 6+ remains unbothered.
  • Reply 271 of 543

The Note 3 is also 1.2 mm THICKER than the iPhone 6+ and duh, it's made out of plastic so (gasp) it returns to it's original shape.  So thicker and made out of flexible material seems to be why it didn't retain the bend.

That being said, it takes a load of pressure to get this to bend. I would suspect that other devices made out of aluminum that size will also bend.  I still don't think this is really news other than it's a big, thin device that under strain and leverage can be damaged.

• Reply 272 of 543
    [IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/49436/width/350/height/700[/IMG]
    This isn't a phone or pocket problem...you're wearing your pants wrong!
  • Reply 273 of 543
    Let me get this straight - more than 87% of iPhone owners also purchase a case, which not only protects the phone from damage, but also prevents the phone from bending or breaking in half, but these geniuses decided a case would be unnecessary, even though it's also thinner phone? Sounds like Apple should just release a statement saying - "just a reminder - we do not recommend putting in pocket without a case" for these rebels.
  • Reply 274 of 543
    jccjcc Posts: 326member
    And in other news, an egg was shown to crack when striker against a hard object.
  • Reply 275 of 543
    jkichline wrote: »
    The Note 3 is also 1.2 mm THICKER than the iPhone 6+ and duh, it's made out of plastic so (gasp) it returns to it's original shape.  So thicker and made out of flexible material seems to be why it didn't retain the bend.

That being said, it takes a load of pressure to get this to bend. I would suspect that other devices made out of aluminum that size will also bend.  I still don't think this is really news other than it's a big, thin device that under strain and leverage can be damaged.
    And they do bend also. Do a google Search on HTC phones.
  • Reply 276 of 543
    slurpy wrote: »
    This one of those situations where I'm embarrassed to be part of the human race.

Holy Over-Reaction Batman
  • Reply 277 of 543
    Originally Posted by ibeam View Post

No where is there a parking space big enough for my car? 

That’s equal parts adorable and incredibly stupid.

It’s like a baby.

• Reply 278 of 543

One word... APPLECARE+.  Here's what you do.  You stick your bent-ass phone in the front pocket of your tight-ass, nut-crunching, 10-ton hydraulic press jeans, and you drive to the nearest Apple Store and you give them the phone, and then give you a new one and say "don't sit on your phone, dumb-ass". Then you pay the $100 to get APPLECARE+ so you can get it replaced up to three times or whatever for free when you substitute your brain for a bloody brick.

And as it's been said many times and many ways... there are laws of physics. It's absolutely stunning that this thin and large device can withstand that much pressure in the first place!  I also suspect that it's way more pressure, applied in specific manners to cause the bend.  Lastly, it's aluminum moron... if you want a large, rubber, textured-for-your-pleasure phone, then buy a large, rubber, feels-like-a-bandaid phone.  If you want something that's freaking awesome that you're going to take care of... then get an iPhone 6+.

• Reply 279 of 543
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Arlor View Post

Post the video and I assure you it will go viral and start to change the narrative. 

I don't have the money or the inclination (read a desperate need for attention) to break a $700 phone that I don't own (sure my friends would love it if I break their phone :-). You do know how much power you can generate with you arms when you lift enough weights ;-).

The narrative is part of the usual Apple is doomed FUD that comes in random waves.

Also, I'd be wary of trusting someone who destroys a $800 phone as click bait. If it were me who shot this, I'd simply weaken the frame to make the bending easy. Very fine cuts can do this. Special effects of sorts :-).

I'd be more likely to trust a test at Anandtech or someone similar done with  a hydraulic press. Maybe they'll do one if they don't mind destroying a perfectly good phone by testing it to the point of failure. Everything under enough pressure will bend or break.

• Reply 280 of 543
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,337member

People complaining about this must be idiots.  To carry an iPhone in one's pocket (which I myself would never do) is one thing, but to leave it in there while sitting down?  Gee!  Let's see...  Why... what will happen if I use my iPhone as a door stop?  Oh, it breaks when I do that. Darn.  I now need to demand Apple supply me with a protective case to prevent damage when I use it as a door stop.

Idiocy abounds.

And by the way, a friend from Taiwan showed me his Sony phone.  I asked him what the top phones are in Taiwan.  He told me Apple is neck and neck with Samsung, HTC is third, and Sony is about 5th.  So I asked him why he got a Sony.  He said because he liked their waterproofing the best.  And there you have it.  Buy what works for you.  Sheesh.

P.S. The secret to world peace stems from everyone agreeing to shut-up rather than complain about something.  Zip the lip and look for a solution.