Video demonstrates reported iPhone 6 Plus bending issues

Comments

• Reply 341 of 543
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Really even with the 6, I tend not to keep it in my pocket as much. Happily, it feels great in my hand so I don't mind carrying it. The simple fact is that it's not my 4, and I'm okay with that.

Get a belt holster, people.

Also...the 6+ sales are lower because there isn't enough supply. Demand is not a problem at this point.

Noooo, surely there aren't people who still wear the hideous thing called a belt holster?? May as well get a bum bag / fanny pack whilst at it, equally shocking
  • Reply 342 of 543
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    The weak points on both are the lines across the phone between the volume button and top of the sim slot, shown here:

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/49459/width/800/height/1000[/IMG]

The distance from the top is almost the same on both so the leverage is coming from the bottom. Imagine if the top part is sitting fixed and the part below is moving up and down as the leg moves up and down when sitting down and getting up. If that happens over a long period of time then it's not unreasonable to expect some warping. They wouldn't be put under the same pressure in a pocket either because the 6 would be able to move around more freely so wouldn't be exerted to as much leverage. If the clothing is loose and pockets are deep enough then the plus should have enough room to move around; in tighter clothing with short pockets, there's more chance of damage from sitting and standing over long periods of time. The main buyer for these would be women anyway and this won't be a problem in a bag.
  • Reply 343 of 543
    I ll say a big disappointment from Apple. They should change their designers I think, here all the images of bent iPhone 6 Plus that were reported earlier.
    http://uneedtech.com/2014/09/23/iphone-6-plus-bending-issues-reported/
  • Reply 344 of 543

I think it's time for Apple to think they might change their designers, here all the bent iPhone 6 Plus Images that were reported earlier

http://uneedtech.com/2014/09/23/iphone-6-plus-bending-issues-reported/

• Reply 345 of 543
    I just walked into an Apple Store and tried this on a 6 plus. I didn't actually bend it, but I felt the aluminum stress when I tried to deform it lightly. It really doesn't feel like it can take a lot of load
  • Reply 346 of 543
    So don't shove the six inch slab of metal and glass between the fabric of your pants and your big fat American ass. ????????????????????????????????????????????????????
  • Reply 347 of 543
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member

Apple - always copying someone.  First it was Samsung, now it's LG:

;)

• Reply 348 of 543
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,361member

I suppose Apple could use titanium instead of aluminum. This would drive the production and materials cost way up but it would be stiffer. Would this be worth it for a mass produced product that people are going to replace in 2-3 years due to technical obsolescence? What is the actual rate at which these bending incidents are taking place under normal operating and handling conditions? Does anyone at all watch that dude forcefully bending an iPhone 6+ think anything other than - "well duh, of course it will bend under those conditions?" Likewise, would the outcome of using your Buick like a bumper car surface anything after the fact that you didn't expect ahead of time? 

Every product ever manufactured by man represents tradeoffs and compromises for a myriad of factors. If having a jumbo phone that can withstand extreme bending stresses is important to you maybe you should be looking at a polycarbonate phone rather than an iPhone. The cool thing here is that we all have choices and not forced to purchase one product over another. If you don't like the iPhone 6 or 6Plus for any reason at all, including size, weight, color choices, materials, the logo, the software, or the material strength there are plenty of other options out there for you to choose from. Hey, to anyone who's already holding an iPhone 6 or 6Plus and isn't completely satisfied with it - take it back and go buy something that makes you happy. There is still time. Run Forest - run!

Vote with your wallet. I have.

But please, for all you "-gaters," for the sake of those of us who are tired of your wounded whimpering and self righteous posturing, move on with your life and please don't try to drag the rest of us down into your sadness. Go create something, place it in front of the world for all to see and critique, and feel what it's like to experience real euphoria and disappointment based on what you've done based on your own merits. The world doesn't need any more critics, second guessers, spectators, whiners, and destroyers. Those jobs have all been filled to overflowing and it's unlikely that doing it as a hobby is going to yield any benefits for you or for the rest of the world.

• Reply 350 of 543
    Quote:

Originally Posted by stargazerCT View Post

So, how many people would just whip out their new iPhone 6 from their pocket and try to bend it to render it "inoperable" just for the hell of it? I guess if someone was reimbursing you to do it, then I can understand.

Hmmm, I wonder which Apple competitor would do such a thing?

Aluminum is flexible...

• Reply 351 of 543
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    dewme wrote: »
    I suppose Apple could use titanium instead of aluminum.

They don't need to do anything that drastic, just reinforcing the sim slot and volume button holes should be enough. That is of course if it happens to a lot of people. If it only happens to a few people then they'll get replacements or a different model.
  • Reply 352 of 543
    Quote:

Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post

Aluminum is flexible...

I guess that answers my question then, you would take your $300-$500 phone and bend it to see what happens. And who's the loon here?

• Reply 353 of 543
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Marvin wrote: »
    They don't need to do anything that drastic, just reinforcing the sim slot and volume button holes should be enough. That is of course if it happens to a lot of people. If it only happens to a few people then they'll get replacements or a different model.

And this is why I love being on the "S"cycle. First generation guinnea pigs always yield a better device for moi. Remember the black 5 was prone to chips and dings everyone then said was a conspiracy? Apple changed and got rid of that finish for the "S" version.
    Same thing.
  • Reply 354 of 543
    Marvin wrote: »
    dewme wrote: »
    I suppose Apple could use titanium instead of aluminum.

No, no, a thousand times no! The only thing built out of aluminum that should have been built out of titanium was the Space Shuttle. Unless something is going to be exposed to extremely high temperatures, using titanium is idiotic. Does nobody remember the disastrous TiBook?
  • Reply 355 of 543

Speaking of the original video posted in page one of this website, why hasn't it dawned on anyone that you could take almost any phone of this size and bend it with that kind of pressure? Try it on your Galaxy S4 or S5, or HTC M8.

Edit: The Note 3 is impressively strong in bend testing seeing that video.

• Reply 356 of 543
    I'm not quoting pazuzu so that others won't be exposed...but they didn't change anything between the 5 and 5S, the a$$holes just found something else to lie about (making fake fingers to fool the TouchID, I think).

And no one here believes you own, or have ever used, an Apple product. When is Apple going to give us a two-button mouse, amirite?
  • Reply 357 of 543
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

I can't be the only one that finds it pretty disgusting how so many are so willing to confidently speak for the whims of a dead person they've never met in their lives, and use that opinion to bash those that actually DID intimately know him in his lifetime.  

Hmmm, what would Jesus say?

oh......wait.... doh!

• Reply 358 of 543
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac-sochist View Post

No, no, a thousand times no! The only thing built out of aluminum that should have been built out of titanium was the Space Shuttle. Unless something is going to be exposed to extremely high temperatures, using titanium is idiotic. Does nobody remember the disastrous TiBook?

You mean like my Powerbook Ti that lasted 9 years?  I wish they had made the hinges out of Titanium instead of aluminium or casting metal or whatever it was.

And actually strength, fatigue resistance, stiffness and corrosion resistance are all highly cited reasons for using Titanium. 

• Reply 359 of 543

For those that are so "bent" out of shape with the iPhone 6+, might I suggest if that really bothers you then DON'T BUY IT.

I have no doubt that Apple will still outsell and out do what the analysts say, and continue to thrive

• Reply 360 of 543

In Apple's obsession like quest for reducing weight/thickness this would eventually become a side-effect.  I remember a day when phones were almost invincible, but they were ugly plastic monstrosities that gave us hip cancer.  Is the trade off worth it?  Probably depends on the person.