Video demonstrates reported iPhone 6 Plus bending issues

Comments

• Reply 361 of 543

I find the timing of all this FUD interesting in the wake of news that Samsung is releasing their Note 4 EARLY.

With the iPhone 5, it was also bending and pretty prone to scratching the anodized coating. And then the stories stopped when they got no traction. If you spend $1000 for something, you treat it with respect and care. As with ANYTHING, if you don't, you pay the consequences.

All the whining and hand-wringing on this site suggests that it will indeed get traction.

• Reply 362 of 543
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Not sure I would try that with my bare hands - what if the glass had shattered.
  • Reply 363 of 543
    Quote:

Originally Posted by stargazerCT View Post

I guess that answers my question then, you would take your $300-$500 phone and bend it to see what happens. And who's the loon here?

The guy's phone was already bent from being in his pocket.

• Reply 365 of 543
    Wait, so you mean if I try to bend my phone in half, it might actually work?!? Astonishing!
  • Reply 366 of 543
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    Let's blame the consumer for keeping the phone in his pants, not the manufacturer.

Quite right. I doubt the manufacturer ever put a phone in anyone's pants.
  • Reply 367 of 543

If you are not a skinny jean wearing fatty and you should be fine, lol.

• Reply 368 of 543

Come on, you guys... put your back into it... this thread should have easily been past 400 posts by now!!

• Reply 369 of 543
    What?!? An adult male, hands shaking, white knuckles blazing, was able to bend a new iPhone? I hope that was really Clark Kent, as no mere mortal should be able to accomplish such a feat. Next thing you know, somebody will try to prove the 6/6 is not even bulletproof! Now I'm a realist - I don't expect the phone to survive a direct nuclear hit or orbital bombardment (only a matter of time before They find us by the way). However, this thing should at least be able to take a couple 7.62 rounds and keep on rocking. Anybody want to take one to the range and put a few rounds on it? Make sure you video so I can see -- if this thing doesn't hold up, I'm selling all my AAPL and shorting it to bankruptcy! Who is with me???
  • Reply 370 of 543
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member

Is that so? You were right there with him, I suppose. Give us the details. Which pocket? How tight? How hot, Marvin wants to know. That sort of thing.
  • Reply 371 of 543
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    lilgto64 wrote: »
    Not sure I would try that with my bare hands - what if the glass had shattered.

Read the fine print in your user agreement. Apple says use gloves and safety glasses when performing this maneuver. Otherwise you're on your own.
  • Reply 372 of 543
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    hpod wrote: »
    Speaking of the original video posted in page one of this website, why hasn't it dawned on anyone that you could take almost any phone of this size and bend it with that kind of pressure? For you naysayers, try it on your Galaxy S3, S4 or S5, or even your Note 3. I bet they bend/crack just the same. Or better yet, let me do it...I assure you I can crack your invincible Samsung or LG in half quite easily.

This is another "gate" story that's only a story because Apple is involved and people want clicks.

FWIW
    [VIDEO]

No appreciable damage.
  • Reply 373 of 543
    Quote:

Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post

So instead of taking it back to Apple to get a new phone or refund, he bends it even further and then posts a video on the web to provide proof that he voided his warranty. Sorry, the logic is escaping me.

• Reply 374 of 543
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
  • Reply 375 of 543
    Does anyone else smell something burning?

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Let me guess... You're short AAPL?
  • Reply 376 of 543
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Is that so? You were right there with him, I suppose. Give us the details. Which pocket? How tight? How hot, Marvin wants to know. That sort of thing.

Time will tell if bent iPhones are a thing or not.  My point is that the rest of the video is extraneous.

Quote:

Originally Posted by stargazerCT View Post

So instead of taking it back to Apple to get a new phone or refund, he bends it even further and then posts a video on the web to provide proof that he voided his warranty. Sorry, the logic is escaping me.

You do realize that you can make more money with a viral video than the value of an iPhone Plus, right? He'll probably be able to return it for a refund anyway, and may have done so before he released the video.

Does logic always escape you so easily?

• Reply 377 of 543
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    Time will tell if bent iPhones are a thing or not.  My point is that the rest of the video is extraneous.

The rest of the video is moot. Taking an already broken phone and breaking it further does not prove anything.
    You do realize that you can make more money with a viral video than the value of an iPhone Plus, right? He'll probably be able to return it for a refund anyway, and may have done so before he released the video.

Does logic always escape you so easily?

I doubt Apple would accept an intentionally broken phone as a warranty repair, and lying about it then releasing video proof that you lied doesn't sound too smart either.
  • Reply 378 of 543
    Maybe it's a good thing that the phone has a bit of flexibility. The flex may absorb stress and avoid breaking whereas a rigid structure will crack. I may be way off here but the thought did occur to me.
  • Reply 379 of 543
    "I imagine keeping your phone in a case SHOULD help with this situation, but for the price of the phone this is pretty unacceptable. Hopefully Apple addresses this concern, soon, as I intend to carry my phone in my front pocket (pretty obviously)." @rocaroundaworld

So it is my iPad and my 15' MBPr (trust me on that) .. they both are bendable even in the bag .. is that mean it will happen or that it is a failure for that price???
  • Reply 380 of 543
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Let me guess... You're short AAPL?

Let me guess... You didn't understand my lame joke.