Video demonstrates reported iPhone 6 Plus bending issues

Comments

• Reply 381 of 543

I retract my statement on the Note 3 then, that's impressively strong.

• Reply 382 of 543

Im starting to wonder if the phones weren't bent out of the box already and people didn't realize it when purchasing. Then they tried to claim it was "normal" use that made it bend.

• Reply 383 of 543
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iaeen View Post

The rest of the video is moot. Taking an already broken phone and breaking it further does not prove anything.

I doubt Apple would accept an intentionally broken phone as a warranty repair, and lying about it then releasing video proof that you lied doesn't sound too smart either.

I make no claims that this guy is smart. I'm just betting he's raking in viral video cash and is not out an iPhone Plus. Random sales goofball at the Verizon store on a Tuesday morning may not exactly be the greatest detective, nor give half a f**k about how the phone was actually damaged. You could even slip the guy a benjamin from the video earnings.

• Reply 384 of 543
    Quote:

Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post

Time will tell if bent iPhones are a thing or not.  My point is that the rest of the video is extraneous.

You do realize that you can make more money with a viral video than the value of an iPhone Plus, right? He'll probably be able to return it for a refund anyway, and may have done so before he released the video.

Does logic always escape you so easily?

No, intentional fraud escapes me, especially since I'm an Apple shareholder. Money to Apple is money to me.

• Reply 385 of 543
    I often put my iphone 5 in pants pocket. But I remove it when I SIT.

Also wonder how big are these pants with the giant pockets???
  • Reply 386 of 543
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    sog35 wrote: »
    That's a good point.  And probably one reason Apple did not use a sapphire screen since Glass has more bend to it.

With normal use the phones should be fine. 

Note in that bend video the glass never cracks. SquareTrade claims these are the most durable iPhones yet. We had another drop test from Android Authority that show the phones held up quite well to repeated drops. No cracked screens, just some dings in the alimunum frame. My guess is 99.9999999% of iPhone buyers are going to be concerned about how the phone fares when they drop it. And I'll bet the majority of people buyng these phones will be using a case. I use a clear silicon case on my 5s. It allows me to still see the beauty of the design while protecting the aluminum back and chamfered edges.
  • Reply 387 of 543
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Note in that bend video the glass never cracks. SquareTrade claims these are the most durable iPhones yet. We had another drop test from Android Authority that show the phones held up quite well to repeated drops. No cracked screens, just some dings in the alimunum frame. My guess is 99.9999999% of iPhone buyers are going to be concerned about how the phone fares when they drop it. And I'll bet the majority of people buyng these phones will be using a case. I use a clear silicon case on my 5s. It allows me to still see the beauty of the design while protecting the aluminum back and chamfered edges.

Seems to be the strongest in drop tests, but the weakest when it comes to bend tests (though these are a new concept since Apple is involved). I'd be interested to see if other aluminum phones bend just as easily?

Time will tell if the phone is truly that fragile that it warps/bends from normal use.  IF that is the case, it's not acceptable quality control.

• Reply 388 of 543

So I saw where this video has been debunked over on 9to5mac. The video is a fake.

1:39 in the video when he’s bending the phone, the iPhone clock reads 2:26, Tuesday September 23

2:16 in the video when the phone is already bend, the iPhone clock reads 1:58, Tuesday September 23

• Reply 389 of 543
    Marvin wrote: »
    The weak points on both are the lines across the phone between the volume button and top of the sim slot, shown here:

The distance from the top is almost the same on both so the leverage is coming from the bottom. Imagine if the top part is sitting fixed and the part below is moving up and down as the leg moves up and down when sitting down and getting up. If that happens over a long period of time then it's not unreasonable to expect some warping. They wouldn't be put under the same pressure in a pocket either because the 6 would be able to move around more freely so wouldn't be exerted to as much leverage. If the clothing is loose and pockets are deep enough then the plus should have enough room to move around; in tighter clothing with short pockets, there's more chance of damage from sitting and standing over long periods of time. The main buyer for these would be women anyway and this won't be a problem in a bag.

Interesting.

The weak points are around the Golden Section.

The problem with this bendy video is that the damage has already been done. Particularly having seen that horrific photo in this article of a poor, bent iPhone 6 Plus, nothing could persuade me to buy it.

Like most guys, I keep my phone in my front pocket, standing and sitting. It's not that I imagine it would bend as badly in the video. It's that I wouldn't want the worry of it bending even slightly from being in a pocket.

Good comment from peloglas, who wondered whether Apple were hoping to use LiquidMetal.
  • Reply 389 of 543
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    dewinter wrote: »
    I often put my iphone 5 in pants pocket. But I remove it when I SIT.
    What's your point? I've had every model of the iPhone since it debuted, and each one I've carried in my front and back pockets of tight jeans, and routinely sat in them. I've never once had any issues with any of the phones, EVER. Then again, I would never carry an object the size of a 6 Plus in my jeans pockets, EVER. So there's that.
  • Reply 391 of 543

I remember when my Sony MD Walkman used to take a beating.. the thing was so malleable.. We should take care of our electronics devices. They're certainly not built to last. 

• Reply 392 of 543

The great thing about the videos where people are using their hands to bend the phone is that they prove you would need a fulcrum underneath the phone in order to bend it across it's width. It can't be bent if the force across the bottom is evenly distributed, which is exactly what would be happening if the phone was placed vertically in your pants pocket against your leg. The only way your leg could possibly act like a fulcrum and generate the force needed to bend the phone across it's width is if the phone was put into the pocket horizontally. 

• Reply 393 of 543
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    My prescription sunglasses cost a couple hundred dollars. If I put it in my pocket, it will bend/break. Is it my fault or ray ban's?
  • Reply 394 of 543
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

So I saw where this video has been debunked over on 9to5mac. The video is a fake.

1:39 in the video when he’s bending the phone, the iPhone clock reads 2:26, Tuesday September 23

2:16 in the video when the phone is already bend, the iPhone clock reads 1:58, Tuesday September 23

It's not debunked. The person stated the phone already showed signs of being bent from being in his pocket. This is exactly what consumers are saying and what started this entire topic. People aren't walking around bending their phones for no reason just to see if they can bend. This is fairly simple, the phone has a large surface area, there is clearly a weak area that needs to be reenforced. 

To end this issue Apple should simply test the phone, find the area of weakness, fix it and then give anyone that had their phone bend a replacement. That would be the right way to address this issue. The issue blew up on social media because consumers were saying the phone was bending in their pocket with normal use. Something that would upset anyone and something that has never happened with previous iPhones. 

The old Steve Jobs way of trying to blame the consumer for a defect simply isn't going to fly. 

• Reply 395 of 543
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

My prescription sunglasses cost a couple hundred dollars. If I put it in my pocket, it will bend/break. Is it my fault or ray ban's?

How many people put their sunglasses in their pocket?

How many people put their phone in their pocket?

• Reply 396 of 543
    Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

How many people put their sunglasses in their pocket?

How many people put their phone in their pocket?

Maybe someone should tell him you can put a 1.00 pencil in your pocket and it doesn't bend. It's amazing the length people will go to excuse something like this. 

• Reply 397 of 543
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    I make no claims that this guy is smart. I'm just betting he's raking in viral video cash and is not out an iPhone Plus. Random sales goofball at the Verizon store on a Tuesday morning may not exactly be the greatest detective, nor give half a f**k about how the phone was actually damaged. You could even slip the guy a benjamin from the video earnings.

I was wondering why you would accept face value his claim that the phone was bent already unintentionally. Now I see how your mind works: "You could even slip the [random sales goofball] guy a benjamin . . . "
  • Reply 398 of 543
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    atlapple wrote: »
    The old Steve Jobs way of trying to blame the consumer for a defect simply isn't going to fly. 
    That's OK, the old Steve Jobs way of trying to keep some semblance of form, function, design style and decorum evidently doesn't fly either.
  • Reply 399 of 543
    gatorguy wrote: »
    FWIW
    [VIDEO]

No appreciable damage.

How much force was done to both? I want to see a scientific approach to these things.
  • Reply 400 of 543
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    I'm not quoting pazuzu so that others won't be exposed...but they didn't change anything between the 5 and 5S, the a$$holes just found something else to lie about (making fake fingers to fool the TouchID, I think).

And no one here believes you own, or have ever used, an Apple product. When is Apple going to give us a two-button mouse, amirite?

In fact the black finish on the 5 WAS discontinued. You can't deny facts.