Samsung openly admits 'positive reaction' to iPhone 6 Plus prompted early launch of Galaxy Note 4

Comments

• Reply 21 of 158

People lined up for blocks to buy the iPhone 3G, 3GS, 4, 4S, 5, 5S, 6, and 6+. Hey Samsung, copy that!

• Reply 22 of 158
    No they didn't make a bigger screen because Samsung was selling them. :no: They made a bigger screen because they listened to their customers who wanted a bigger screen. Apple never does anything simply because someone else is doing it. If that were the case, we would still have ugly physical keyboards on the iPhone, and BlackBerry would still be on top.
  • Reply 23 of 158
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Nobodyy View Post

Another knee jerk reaction...

Someone at the top of Samsung is feeling pressure because of the iPhone 6 success.

Now that person is beating the shit out of a few people below... and so on and so on and so on.

It's a culture of egos.

• Reply 24 of 158
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Launching earlier than planned and slashing the price? Yeah, nothing can go wrong there. I look forward to more moronic moves from Samsung during their death spiral. 

Cutting their profits on one of their profit centers and rushing a product... Man, that's not good for them.

• Reply 25 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shows-What-Uno View Post

You could at least show the latest aluminium Note 4 and not the old one.

I'm sure there are any number of Android fan sites that might satisfy you in that regard.  Why not go there instead?

• Reply 26 of 158
    Haha Sammy.

That's a difference between Sammy and Apple. Apple leads and releases products when it feels the products are ready. Sammy follows and reacts.
  • Reply 27 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kavok View Post

No they didn't make a bigger screen because Samsung was selling them. image They made a bigger screen because they listened to their customers who wanted a bigger screen. Apple never does anything simply because someone else is doing it. If that were the case, we would still have ugly physical keyboards on the iPhone, and BlackBerry would still be on top.

I don't quite buy that.

The 4.7... sure.

The 5.5... I heard more people saying that was too big than I heard anyone saying it's a great size.

Samsung showed that it was a viable size.

Personally, I think the 5.5 was a stupid idea.

"It's the OS!"

• Reply 28 of 158
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ninuola View Post

What's HW and SW?

An Abbreviation for hardware and software used since the 1980s (and probably before)...

• Reply 29 of 158

Samsung definitely caused this situation itself. They made Apple enter the territory they were dominating.

Instead of them to have subtly been selling their phones without insulting Apple's iPhones or customer base, they didn't. Thereby bringing Apple's customers and Apple's attention itself to their so called special features..

They insulted the iPhone about its small screen, the iPhone 6 & + has huge screens now.

They insulted the iPhone about its short battery span, the iPhone 6 & + has lots of battery juice to go around.

I hope they keep talking about the true multitasking and that split-screen use of their phones, and maybe apple will just have to release that next.

• Reply 30 of 158

It seems that everything Samsung does nowadays is some sort of reaction to what someone else does.

What's funny about this is that Samsung announced the Note 4 a week before Apple revealed the 6 and 6 Plus. But, unlike Apple's announcement where they also announced the pricing and release date, Samsung did not announce the cost or when the Note 4 would actually be available.

Yet, after the Apple event, Samsung plastered the airwaves with those "I WAS HERE FIRST!" commercials, proclaiming that the next best thing IS HERE. Except that it's NOT "here" or anywhere else just yet. Even with a release date, Samsung waits to see what Apple does.

China and South Korea were not part of the initial iPhone 6 and 6 Plus launch? Perfect! We'll round up all available units and launch there first!

The iPhone 6 launching in the U.S. on September 19? Uh, let's wait a month!

• Reply 31 of 158
    Quote:

No they didn't make a bigger screen because Samsung was selling them. image They made a bigger screen because they listened to their customers who wanted a bigger screen. Apple never does anything simply because someone else is doing it. If that were the case, we would still have ugly physical keyboards on the iPhone, and BlackBerry would still be on top.

Wrong. Apple almost never listens to what their customers say. They do whatever they think will sell well, and if it doesn't, they cancel it. The examples are just too numerous to list.

• Reply 32 of 158

sounds like samsung is doing a black friday sale. or is this a blue light special? or a dvd dump bin with a laminated placard reading "must own dvds"?

• Reply 33 of 158
    Quote:

I think Apple waited until they reduced the power consumption on the chip enough so that they get decent battery life without having to bulk up the device. If you look at the benchmarks on the A8, they're not a huge leap above the A7. But, according to Apple, the A8 cut the power consumption in half. And I think that was the design goal that Apple had in mind before going to the larger screens. A lot of what Apple does nowadays seems driven by the performance/watt.

• Reply 34 of 158
    Desperation can make people or corporation do unthinkable. Note 4 moving date up for delivery is a a good example.
  • Reply 35 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ibeam View Post

Wrong. Apple almost never listens to what their customers say. They do whatever they think will sell well, and if it doesn't, they cancel it. The examples are just too numerous to list.

Actually, I would kinda disagree with you there. The Apple of old (i.e. the Jobs Era), you would be absolutely correct. His Steveness never really listened to customers because he felt, and more often than not correctly, that they [customers] didn't really know what they wanted. As such, he usually dismissed the masses clamoring for Feature A, and instead gave polished products and features that people didn't know they wanted until Apple showed them.

That said, the Cook Era of Apple has been more receptive of customer requests. Things like Handoff between iOS and OS X, Family Sharing (something I have been asking for for years), and a few others that I know people have been wanting that have been added since Cook took over.

So, in all honesty, your statement is almost true, except that in this current Era of Apple, I would say you are incorrect.

• Reply 36 of 158
    slurpy wrote: »
    Launching earlier than planned and slashing the price? Yeah, nothing can go wrong there. I look forward to more moronic moves from Samsung during their death spiral. 

Death Spiral? Hopefully, they hit enough RPMs to put a Dremel to shame. :)
  • Reply 37 of 158

Actually, I would kinda disagree with you there. The Apple of old (i.e. the Jobs Era), you would be absolutely correct. His Steveness never really listened to customers because he felt, and more often than not correctly, that they [customers] didn't really know what they wanted. As such, he usually dismissed the masses clamoring for Feature A, and instead gave polished products and features that people didn't know they wanted until Apple showed them.

That said, the Cook Era of Apple has been more receptive of customer requests. Things like Handoff between iOS and OS X, Family Sharing (something I have been asking for for years), and a few others that I know people have been wanting that have been added since Cook took over.

So, in all honesty, your statement is almost true, except that in this current Era of Apple, I would say you are incorrect.

You don't think the brilliant Devs / engineers would have thought of these things too? You think they don't have ideas if their own.
  • Reply 38 of 158
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Samsung, in contrast, will reportedly ship 3.75 million Note 4 units for launch weekend at a reduced price of ?957,000 ($920), a $100 discount from the launch price of the Galaxy Note 3.

"Samsung aims to ship 15 million Note 4s in the first 30 days after the product launches, which is very ambitious given the challenging situation," another Samsung official told the paper.

Instead of the mother of all upgrades, it will be the mother of all channel fills!

Wow! 15 Million Note 4s into the channel in 30 days! Is that a new Samsung record? I really do wish we knew how many they actually sold. I really don't care if they sell more than Apple or not. I just want to know what they actually do sell to put some arguments to rest. 

• Reply 39 of 158
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

That's correct, but they did make a big screen iPhone because of all the devices Samsung was selling.

Yes, there certainly must be a correlation somewhere, though pardon me if I don't see it,  given that Tim himself said that Apple could have made a larger iPhone much earlier, but that it wouldn't have been up to Apple's standards. Being as though the specs of the iPhone 6 / 6+ are so "2012" according to fandroids, one would have thought that Apple would have had to compete on specs if it was because of Samsung. Turns out that in itself is an absolute fallacy.

Perhaps the correlation is that Apple has been able to build its supply chain large enough to support multiple devices, and even then, there is still backlogs at release.

Would that Samsung be that fortunate. 

Next up, lower direction for the stock.

• Reply 40 of 158

here is samsung issue, they do not know which head is running the business never seen a business with so many Co- in charge 

Geon Hui Lee   Chairman
    Jong Gyun Shin   Co-President, Co-Chief Executive Officer, Director
    Bu Geun Yoon   Co-President, Co-Chief Executive Officer, Director
    Sang Hun Lee   Co-President, Director
    Dae Seop Chi   Co-President
    Su Yin Cho   Co-President
    Won Pyo Hong   Co-President
    Won Gi Jang   Co-President
    Dong Su Jeon   Co-President
    Jae Gwon Kim   Co-President