Samsung openly admits 'positive reaction' to iPhone 6 Plus prompted early launch of Galaxy Note 4

Comments

• Reply 41 of 158
    tmay wrote: »
    Yes, there certainly must be a correlation somewhere, though pardon me if I don't see it,  given that Tim himself said that Apple could have made a larger iPhone much earlier, but that it wouldn't have been up to Apple's standards. Being as though the specs of the iPhone 6 / 6+ are so "2012" according to fandroids, one would have thought that Apple would have had to compete on specs if it was because of Samsung. Turns out that in itself is an absolute fallacy.

Perhaps the correlation is that Apple has been able to build its supply chain large enough to support multiple devices, and even then, there is still backlogs at release.

Would that Samsung be that fortunate. 

Next up, lower direction for the stock.

Except of course that they built a device Steve Jobs said no one would ever buy.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/16/jobs-no-ones-going-to-buy-a-big-phone/

So what changed?
  • Reply 42 of 158
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

You don't think the brilliant Devs / engineers would have thought of these things too? You think they don't have ideas if their own.

Wait, what?? At what point did I say that Steve or Tim were the only ones coming up with the ideas? That isn't what I said, and you purposely took it out of context. All I was describing was the environment between the two CEOs. Tim is far more open, and does listen to his customers, whereas Steve was far more closed off about it.

I know that both listen to their developers. It is the developers who sit there and make the ideas, flesh them out, and then bring them to their managers. That is just basic common sense.

-- To the rest of the AI community -- I apologize that I just fed a troll, but that could not be left alone. It was just baffling that they could think that I could have meant anything else.

• Reply 43 of 158
    The samsung is derp because they did copy the stupid software from iOS 8
  • Reply 44 of 158
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ninuola View Post

Samsung definitely caused this situation itself. They made Apple enter the territory they were dominating.

Instead of them to have subtly been selling their phones without insulting Apple's iPhones or customer base, they didn't. Thereby bringing Apple's customers and Apple's attention itself to their so called special features..

They insulted the iPhone about its small screen, the iPhone 6 & + has huge screens now.

They insulted the iPhone about its short battery span, the iPhone 6 & + has lots of battery juice to go around.

I hope they keep talking about the true multitasking and that split-screen use of their phones, and maybe apple will just have to release that next.

That's the biggest fail of the latest Samsung commercial. It draws attention to the fact that Apple has introduced larger screened iPhones.

But, I don't think Samsung "made Apple" do anything. Samsung obsesses about what their competitors do. Apple doesn't. And those commercials that you cited came out only in the last few months. I suspect that Apple has been working on the iPhone 6 a LOT longer than that.

If there's a so-called missing feature, it's usually because Apple won't throw something out there just to fill out a check list.

Cut and paste? Apple waited until they came out with an implementation that was intuitive and worked well.

Battery life? Samsung was insulting its own customers, since the iPhone 5s absolutely trounced the Galaxy S4 on battery life. Apple has been obsessing about performance/watt for quite a while. That's why they've stuck with dual cores and lower clock speeds, and I suspect they waited until now to go with larger screens because the A8 cuts the power consumption to a point where the iPhone 6 could get decent battery life without a gigantic battery.

Multitasking? Apple went with an implementation that doesn't kill the battery life with apps running in the background.

NFC? Apple waited until they came up with a full point-of-sale transaction system and rounded up broad participation from retailers. They didn't just thrown in a NFC chip and call it a day.

Yeah, Samsung was first with features like eye tracking, air gestures, and group play. But, there reaches a point where features become gimmicks, and gimmickry starts to detract from the core functionality by draining resources (battery life, CPU performance, storage space, etc.) and just looking tacky and unfinished.

Recall Apple's edict about a thousand noes for every yes.

• Reply 45 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phone-UI-Guy View Post

Instead of the mother of all upgrades, it will be the mother of all channel fills!

Wow! 15 Million Note 4s into the channel in 30 days! Is that a new Samsung record? I really do wish we knew how many they actually sold. I really don't care if they sell more than Apple or not. I just want to know what they actually do sell to put some arguments to rest. 

Yes, the "weasel" words of SHIP vs. SELL.

Here's one thing Samsung can copy from Apple: have their CEO announce sell-through numbers after the month.

• Reply 46 of 158
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Except of course that they built a device Steve Jobs said no one would ever buy.

So what changed?

Let's play a game. It's called Spot the Troll. First up? Taking a 4 year old quote of Steve Jobs and trying to hold the Apple (and market) of today to that out-of-date quote.

• Reply 47 of 158
    Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

here is samsung issue, they do not know which head is running the business never seen a business with so many Co- in charge 

Geon Hui Lee   Chairman
    Jong Gyun Shin   Co-President, Co-Chief Executive Officer, Director
    Bu Geun Yoon   Co-President, Co-Chief Executive Officer, Director
    Sang Hun Lee   Co-President, Director
    Dae Seop Chi   Co-President
    Su Yin Cho   Co-President
    Won Pyo Hong   Co-President
    Won Gi Jang   Co-President
    Dong Su Jeon   Co-President
    Jae Gwon Kim   Co-President

What’s more telling is that they ALL had the idea to copy Apple.

• Reply 48 of 158
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave MacLachlan View Post

Death Spiral? Hopefully, they hit enough RPMs to put a Dremel to shame. image

Either that or they'll keep selling more and more phones quarter after quarter like they have been.

• Reply 49 of 158
    Quote:

here is samsung issue, they do not know which head is running the business never seen a business with so many Co- in charge 

Geon Hui Lee   Chairman

But, the thing to keep in mind with conglomerates like this is that the various divisions operate almost as autonomous companies.

It's the reason why Apple can still collaborate with Samsung on chip manufacturing. And why Samsung's mobile division was caught flat-footed when Apple introduced the 64-bit A7 last year. Samsung's semiconductor division was likely more interested in keeping a client happy than losing a contract (and inviting yet another lawsuit, and possibly chasing off other clients) by sharing trade secrets with its mobile division.

Even Samsung's mobile devices include purchased components from competitors, even though the company's own divisions might make a comparable component. Just look at how Samsung still purchases Snapdragon SoCs from Qualcomm, one of their biggest rivals, even though Samsung makes its own SoC line.

• Reply 50 of 158
    kavok wrote: »
    No they didn't make a bigger screen because Samsung was selling them. :no: They made a bigger screen because they listened to their customers who wanted a bigger screen. Apple never does anything simply because someone else is doing it. If that were the case, we would still have ugly physical keyboards on the iPhone, and BlackBerry would still be on top.

I guess you never heard this quote by Steve Jobs.
    You can't just ask customers what they want and then try to give that to them. By the time you get it built, they'll want something new.
  • Reply 51 of 158
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PScooter63 View Post

Death spiral?

Lot's of companies would love a 3.75 M death spiral.

• Reply 52 of 158
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member

Quote:

Geon Hui Lee   Chairman

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

What’s more telling is that they ALL had the idea to copy Apple.

You know, that rogues gallery sort of mirrors their device strategy. Put everyone in charge and see who succeeds.

• Reply 53 of 158
    What else is Samesung gonna say? Tell everyone they are throwing papers in the air in frustration, its a mad house at the office, and its DefCon 2?!?
  • Reply 54 of 158
    Let's play a game. It's called Spot the Troll. First up? Taking a 4 year old quote of Steve Jobs and trying to hold the Apple (and market) of today to that out-of-date quote.

And I'll spot the person with no integrity. Is it so hard to say that SJ was mistaken? There's nothing wrong with being wrong. Call a spade a spade. Don't come with some 'outdated' BS.
  • Reply 55 of 158
    Originally Posted by Woochifer View Post

It's the reason why Apple can still collaborate with Samsung on chip manufacturing. And why Samsung's mobile division was caught flat-footed when Apple introduced the 64-bit A7 last year.

Mmm… except we know they’ve shared in the past.

• Reply 56 of 158
    Quote:

Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post

If they manage to sell 15M units in the first 30 days, that would be impressive in comparison: S5 11M units S4 10M units, Note 3 5M. Considering the S5 and the Note 4 are same-generation devices, I'd imagine them being cross-shopped. They're essentially hoping the Note 4 will sell 3X as much than its predecessor, which seems highly doubtful. With many more choices out there, Samsung's high-end market has serious competition (LG's, Sony's, Oppo, OnePlus, etc.). And now with the 6 Plus, Samsung is going to fight a serious uphill battle, it's going to be bad news for the Note 4 after the first month.

Did you read Samsung's statement carefully? They never claimed that they would SELL 15 million phones, only that they would SHIP that many. One helluva difference.

• Reply 57 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

So what changed?

Time and people's tastes are constantly changing. There may be a time again where that holds true. You can't hold SJ or Apple to that statement forever. When SJ said it he was right. However, now people do want big phones. So Apple will make big phones.

• Reply 58 of 158
    dasanman69 wrote: »

So what changed?

For starters, Jobs died. Secondly, if Jobs was still in control he would have changed his mind in any case as shown previously.

Wait, what?? At what point did I say that Steve or Tim were the only ones coming up with the ideas? That isn't what I said, and you purposely took it out of context. All I was describing was the environment between the two CEOs. Tim is far more open, and does listen to his customers, whereas Steve was far more closed off about it.

I know that both listen to their developers. It is the developers who sit there and make the ideas, flesh them out, and then bring them to their managers. That is just basic common sense.

-- To the rest of the AI community -- I apologize that I just fed a troll, but that could not be left alone. It was just baffling that they could think that I could have meant anything else.

1. You need to look up the def of troll.
    2. You claimed Steve never listened to customers and that Cook seems to do that. You inferred that these new ideas come from customers rather than the employees themselves.
    3 all I'm saying is Apple hasn't changed in its thinking regardless of who is in charge.
  • Reply 59 of 158
    Instead of the mother of all upgrades, it will be the mother of all channel fills!

Wow! 15 Million Note 4s into the channel in 30 days! Is that a new Samsung record? I really do wish we knew how many they actually sold. I really don't care if they sell more than Apple or not. I just want to know what they actually do sell to put some arguments to rest. 

When a company like Samsung is willing to give away their product in innumerable cross promotions, it must be near impossible to determine actual sales figures.
  • Reply 60 of 158
    [B][SIZE=6]Welcome, Samsung.

Seriously.[/SIZE][/B]