Apple releases, then pulls iOS 8.0.1 with support for HealthKit apps, Photo Library fixes, more [u]

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2014
Just a week after the debut of iOS 8, Apple has provided an update for its newly upgraded mobile operating system, addressing a number of bugs related to HealthKit, Photos, third-party keyboards, Reachability, and much more. But the update was quickly pulled after iPhone 6 users began experiencing serious bugs.

Update: Readers are advised to hold off on installing iOS 8.0.1, as the software update has introduced a pair of serious bugs for a number of iPhone users, specifically killing cellular connectivity and disabling the Touch ID fingerprint sensor. The original story on iOS 8.0.1's release follows.

iOS 8.0.1 can now be downloaded from the Software Update section of the iOS 8 Settings application. Apple's short description of the update simply states that the release "contains improvements and bug fixes."

The more detailed list of changes include:
Fixes a bug so HealthKit apps can now be made available on the App Store.
Addresses an issue where third-party keyboards could become deselected when a user enters their passcode.
Fixes an issue that prevented some apps from accessing photos from the Photo Library.
Improves the reliability of the Reachability feature on iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus.
Fixes an issue that could cause unexpected cellular data usage when receiving SMS/MMS messages.
Better support of Ask to buy for Family Sharing for In-App Purchases.
Fixes an issue where ringtones were sometimes not restored from iCloud backups.
Fixes a bug that prevented uploading photos and videos from Safari.
iOS 8 launched for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch last Wednesday, ahead of the debut of the new iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus. It gives users access to a wide range of new features, including third-party keyboard support, Notification Center widgets, extensions, Hey Siri hands-free voice activation, Continuity between devices running iOS 8 and OS X Yosemite, and much more.

AppleInsider's ongoing iOS 8 Tips series gives readers a detailed rundown of some of the more useful features found in the new operating system update. For example, Siri can now recognize songs that are playing, annoying text message conversations can be silenced, and new Family Sharing accounts allow applications, music, movies and other iTunes content to be shared between family members.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 100
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Too little too late. I was so frustrated and harmed by these fatal flaws that I sold the 3 iPhone 6 Pluses that I bought and I'll never buy another Apple device. This never would have happened if Steve were still around. I have been an Apple user since 1968 and own $10,000,000 in AAPL stock so I don't make this decision lightly. Oh, and 2 of my phones snapped in half when I put them in my shirt pocket.

\s
  • Reply 2 of 100
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I sure hope it fixes my freezing in safari bug that occurs whn I'm typing. It has already happened four times today.
  • Reply 3 of 100
    I bow my ahead to Apple to release fixes release so quick. More power to you Apple and you F*** moron Android phone manufacturers, learn something from Apple. I am on not even 2 years old LG optimus G e970 AT&T 4.7" large screen smartphone and what I received is pathetic old jellybean update and not even current kitkat(not expected) so forget about "L" updates.
  • Reply 4 of 100

BRING. BACK. CAMERA. ROLL. 

My God, why was this so necessary to remove in the first place? 

• Reply 5 of 100

Funny stuff Malax - you got just about all the troll comments summed up in one place

• Reply 6 of 100

Is it iphone or ipad  where you experience safari freezing effect because my wife's iphone 4s has no issues according to her.

• Reply 7 of 100
    Cool, I lol'd at first post. What a great summarization of all the trolls in one paragraph.
  • Reply 8 of 100
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    melgross wrote: »
    I sure hope it fixes my freezing in safari bug that occurs whn I'm typing. It has already happened four times today.
    But these devices don't need more ram. Developers just need to write better apps. /s
  • Reply 9 of 100
    Originally Posted by abideworldwide View Post

I missed being first to comment by just seconds and to a troll none the less!

Gotta learn what /s means.

• Reply 10 of 100
    wood1208 wrote: »
    Is it iphone or ipad  where you experience safari freezing effect because my wife's iphone 4s has no issues according to her.
    Safari on the iPad has been buggy. Hopefully this update will fix that.
  • Reply 11 of 100
    malax wrote: »
    Too little too late. I was so frustrated and harmed by these fatal flaws that I sold the 3 iPhone 6 Pluses that I bought and I'll never buy another Apple device. This never would have happened if Steve were still around. I have been an Apple user since 1968 and own $10,000,000 in AAPL stock so I don't make this decision lightly. Oh, and 2 of my phones snapped in half when I put them in my shirt pocket.

\s

You owe me a tea.

I spit mine out. :lol:
  • Reply 12 of 100
    melgross wrote: »

I force restarted and haven't had a problem since.
  • Reply 13 of 100

You (abideworldwide) missed the \s tag methinks (beaten by TS - damn) ...

• Reply 14 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by malax View Post

\s

can I have youre Apple shares? :-)

• Reply 15 of 100
    Boo you still can't copy image URL's by long pressing on a image, selecting copy and then pasting into the address bar. Not sure why Apple removed that functionality.
  • Reply 16 of 100
    Quite a few people on MacRumors are reporting no cell service or Touch ID after installing the update. I guess I'm glad I didn't update my phone yet.
  • Reply 17 of 100
    I just updated an iPhone 6 and a 6 Plus on AT&T and now I have NO SIGNAL.... only Searching..... For the past half hour and rebooting does not help!
  • Reply 18 of 100
    I just updated an iPhone 6 and a 6 Plus on AT&T and now I have NO SIGNAL.... only Searching..... For the past half hour and rebooting does not help!

Damn. That's not good at all. Hopefully Apple pulls the update ASAP.
  • Reply 19 of 100
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

From MacRumors

Quote:

It appears that there is an issue with iOS 8.0.1 causing cellular service to be disabled. Many early installers are reporting "No Service" messages after updating. There are also reports of problems with Touch ID.

• Reply 20 of 100
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by abideworldwide View Post

Funny stuff Malax - you got just about all the troll comments summed up in one place

are you f'in serious? do you really have no social tools with which to identify human behaviors, such as hyperbole or sarcasm?

ok, so assuming you dont have the tools to identity sarcasm, please take note of the "\s" (or "/s") present in the message -- these are common abbreviations in online "forums" (discussion groups of the sort you are reading) for "/sarcasm", to indicate a writer is using sarcasm in his or her message; that is, that the message is in jest.