Video demonstrates reported iPhone 6 Plus bending issues

Comments

• Reply 442 of 543
    Originally Posted by ninuola View Post

Why hasn’t Apple responded about all the people who own iPhones and commit bank robberies? The world awaits Apple’s answer.

• Reply 443 of 543
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It isn’t normal use to BEND YOUR PHONE.

not on purpose indeed.  If you put it in youre front pocket and it bend than its another story.  I will ask the staff when I get my 6+, if they dont exchange this defect at no cost I am not buying that thing.

• Reply 444 of 543
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I'm not sure how anyone could comfortably put a 6 Plus in front jeans pockets. Cargo pants or maybe dress slacks with deep pockets is another story but if you have it in your front pocket and aren't sitting down I don't see how the phone dould bend. And I don't see how anyone could comfortably sit with this phone in their front pocket.

Their skinny jeans are too skinny. Must use man purse.

• Reply 445 of 543
    ninuola wrote: »

Favorite quote in the article:
    "Just casually sticking a £700 smartphone in your pocket is an increasingly reckless thing to do."
  • Reply 446 of 543
    herbapou wrote: »
    not on purpose indeed.  If you put it in youre front pocket and it bend than its another story.  I will ask the staff when I get my 6+, if they dont exchange this defect at no cost I am not buying that thing.

I refuse to read any more of your posts until you learn the difference between "your" and "you're".
  • Reply 447 of 543

The true morons are the ones lambasting anyone who has this problem.  You people make me sick.  Talk about arrogant douchebaggery.  

• Reply 448 of 543
    " Who paid him to do that". Was the First thing my girlfriend told me when i showed her this video!

... Follow the money !
  • Reply 449 of 543
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

If you put it in youre front pocket and it bend than its another story.

Not really.

I will ask the staff when I get my 6+, if they dont exchange this defect at no cost I am not buying that thing.

Well, if nothing else this trumped up nonsense will keep people from buying an unusable “phone”.

• Reply 450 of 543
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

A larger surface area makes things easier to bend, because of the increase in leverage.

youre referring to length, not surface area.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lever

• Reply 451 of 543
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Why hasn’t Apple responded about all the people who own iPhones and commit bank robberies? The world awaits Apple’s answer.

Oh because that's a non issue, see.  The iphone isn't causing normal people with no anti-Apple agenda to start robbing banks or anything.

The source for bendgate aren't irrational Apple trolls, it's your average Apple user.  

I took the plunge with the 6 and now I have to worry about this crap.  I guess an Otterbox case is in my future.

• Reply 452 of 543
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

I took the plunge with the 6 and now I have to worry about this crap.  I guess an Otterbox case is in my future.

A case won’t stop it. Common sense will stop it. Don’t bend your phone.

• Reply 453 of 543
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hodar View Post

I think Apple either didn't bother to heat-treat the Aluminum, or simply under-estimated what the average user will subject the frame to. There are a plethora of reports on bent iPhone 6+ AND iPhone 6's being bent from simply placing the phone in your front pocket.

If the aluminum case were heat-treated to T6 or T7 specs, the case would be more than adequate "as-is". This is the level of heat treating used by the AR15/M-16 rifle. Try to bend an aluminum magazine that has been hardened to T6 or T7 levels. This aluminum is so hard, it requires specialized drill bits to cut it.

i love your use of the phrase "didn't bother to", to give the air that apple just flippantly said, "**** it, let's go play w/ our Watches..." because, you know, thats how apple rolls. they dont have a long and well-documented case history of being very particular about design and manfucturing details and iterative work cycles. nope, not at all. they just cant be bothered!

lord...

• Reply 454 of 543
    chronster wrote: »
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">The true morons are the ones lambasting anyone who has this problem.  You people make me sick.  Talk about arrogant douchebaggery.  </span>

LOL. Get real.
  • Reply 455 of 543
    Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

depends on your pocket. if your pocket is high enough on your thigh & hip that you create a fulcrum when doing squats or some shit, then thats on you. physics is physics.

• Reply 456 of 543
    Quote:

Originally Posted by chronster View Post

The true morons are the ones lambasting anyone who has this problem.  You people make me sick.  Talk about arrogant douchebaggery.  

what problem are you referring to specifically? my 4.7" iphone works superbly in my front pants pocket. its short enough, and my pockets low enough, that there is no fulcrum on my body to bend it.  but if it had something that was too long to fit in my pocket, like a pencil, then i wouldnt be able to keep it there.

as it is, i dont know if there are tons of people reporting it being too long for their front pockets, or if its just one guy on youtube.

• Reply 457 of 543
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    youre referring to length, not surface area.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lever

Length, width, does it really matter? One, or both of those has to increase when the surface area does.
  • Reply 458 of 543
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Length, width, does it really matter? One, or both of those has to increase when the surface area does.

yes, it matters. if the iphone 6+ had increased in width, not length, then the leverage force at a given fulcrum would not increase.

• Reply 459 of 543
    I am an Apple fan, but I find this to be troubling.

I am also puzzled that they would use an aluminum alloy that can be this easily bent. There are alloys available that would take much more bending force than is being exerted in this video, and more than you would experience by keeping the phone in a front or back pocket.
    These alloys can be spec'ed to be more rigid than what is shown, and also can be spec'ed to spring back completely after being bent by as much as shown.

Did Apple's engineers not anticipate this bending force in normal use? Did they spec the wrong alloy, or was an alloy used that was not up to Apple engineering specifications or type? I think we'll be hearing more about this, unfortunately.
  • Reply 460 of 543

I posted on this, also. I agree that there seems to be an error in spec'ing the aluminum alloy, or on the heat treating of the alloy. Or, perhaps the delivered alloy was not up to engineering spec. There are aluminum alloys that will take much more abuse than shown, with more rigidity, or with the ability to spring back rather than get a perma-bend.